Hyundai Kona Electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iPlug said:
Nubo said:
iPlug said:
...We just went for a test drive and they marked up all four of their Kona EV‘s by $5000. No shame.

Hopefully that's a sign of growing EV demand overall. If dealers find they can move EVs, they might start treating them more seriously.
Unfortunately not in this case. The dealer said they were doing it because they were very supply constrained. Still all the vehicles were still on the lot when I visited compared to when their online inventory first showed them days before.

Good to hear that common sense prevails.

cwerdna said:
Kona EV was worse rear room (at least front to back).
It is easy to check back seat on Kona, just use ICE version. It is indeed very restricted. I could barely get in and out of rear seat with front seat adjusted for my height 6'. Seat height is good though, just no leg room. Kia Niro on other hand is very spacious in front and rear, but of course, it is longer car.

My IoniQ also had a 5K plus other options. It came off in the finance room. I really think Hyundai needs the lease CARB credits.

CR's initial review:
2019 Hyundai Kona EV Is an Electric Car for Everyone
It's well-equipped, pleasant to drive, and offers decent range
https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/2019-hyundai-kona-ev-first-drive-review/

The Hyundai Kona is already our favorite subcompact SUV, largely because its nimble handling and stylish design add a dash of pizazz to an affordable, practical package. Hyundai has now introduced a fully electric version, one that promises 258 miles of driving range on a full charge. It has a starting price of $37,495 before a $7,500 federal tax credit or any other incentives.

It doesn’t have a gimmick, it doesn’t feel tinny or look goofy, and it has a range long enough that it should allow you to travel to work and back—and then some. It’s just a practical car that happens to be electric.

We purchased our own Kona EV so we could put it through our rigorous battery of tests. We’ll spend plenty of time behind the wheel and we’ll compare it with other EVs including the Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf, and Tesla Model 3 before issuing our final verdict. For now, these are our first impressions. . . .

I just finished spending a week with a Kona, and it is an OK BEV.

The pluses are that it has great build quality, good range, I experienced a 256 mile range on a charge with 70-75 mph highway driving.

The negatives, is that it is very expensive, with the model I drove listing for $45.8K. It is still ramping production so it is not available widely yet. It is also essentially a compact CUV, not much larger than a VW Golf, and smaller than a LEAF in overall size as well as passenger and cargo capacity. It is also a very noisy car with an excessive amount of road noise being transmitted into the cabin, especially from the rear wheels.

I'll have an in-depth road test out in about a week.

LeftieBiker said:
Will Orient Express ever find a car that he can love as much as the Leaf...? Staay tuuuned!

Yeah, I got one reserved right now. It's a 2021 Porsche Taycan Cross-Turismo

high_mission_e_cross_turismo_california_2018_porsche_ag-2-e1539943832827.jpg

OrientExpress said:
I just finished spending a week with a Kona, and it is an OK BEV.

The pluses are that it has great build quality, good range, I experienced a 256 mile range on a charge with 70-75 mph highway driving.

The negatives, is that it is very expensive, with the model I drove listing for $45.8K. It is still ramping production so it is not available widely yet. It is also essentially a compact CUV, not much larger than a VW Golf
Golf: 168" x 71 x 58"
Kona: 164" x 71" x 61"

The Golf's got more cargo space, but slightly less pax. space (prob. due to the height dif.) although I (6' 0") had no trouble sitting behind myself in the Golf, and judging by the reviews I've read of the Kona that wouldn't be the case in it:

Golf pax. volume : ft³ 93.5

Cargo volume seats up: 22.8 ft.^3
" " " down: 52.7 ft.^3

Kona pax. vol.: 94.1 Ft.^3

Cargo space seats up: 19 ft.^3
" " " down: 45.8 ft.^3

with the rear seats down and the fronts slid all the way forward I was just able to lie down stretched out on my back in the Golf (head on center armrest between front seats). As the Kona's essentially the same length as the Bolt, and I can't do that in the latter, I doubt that would be possible in the Kona either. The Niro (172" L) will probably work; I can do this in my Forester (175" L) with a few inches to spare.

The Guess-O-Meters are much more accurate in these 2019 BEVs

2019 Nissan LEAF Plus, 246 actual miles:

range-2019LEAF_Plus.jpeg

2019 Hyundai Kona, 257 actual miles

Range-2019-Hyundai-Kona.jpeg

2019 Kia Niro, 261 actual miles.

Range-2019Kia-Niro.jpeg

Isn't the (U.S.) Kona missing a heat pump? From IEVS last December:
At least for the 2019 model year, all Kona Electric’s sold in the US will come without a dedicated battery heater while all Canadian versions will include one. Similarly, all US deliveries will come with 5.5 kW PTC direct resistive cabin air heating alone while all Canadian deliveries will include a heat pump (reversible A/C system) to more efficiently assist cabin heating.

Back