Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
So one person and another that "claims" something that is likely windshields not roofs since that is common. Where are all the damaged sunroofs out there? Again, there are all sorts of road hazards in different conditions bit I don't see this as a big issue. A roof respray costs more than a glass panel and takes more time.
Lots of Tesla's are broken into so should I not buy one? Guess what, so are other cars and in even higher frequency. How do some here even enjoy life or pull the trigger on a purchase without endless analysis and
FWIW, back to your thing about the sky, years ago, I was with my dad and as we passed under and overpass, a rock hit the windshield w/enough force to create a star and warranty windshield replacement. You do drive under bridges and overpasses, right?

From my personal experience, flying road debris striking windshields seems to come out of nowhere. Fortunately, I haven't had any happen recently w/enough force to cause a star in my cars.

I've never needed to respray a roof of a car. How many times have you heard of anyone w/a cracked roof on a Leaf? Heck, even a small tree fell onto my Prius maybe a decade ago at work. Security at work called me about it. It made a minor dent either on the A pillar or outer edge of the roof of one side w/no paint damage.

Google for site:teslamotorsclub.com "model 3" glass roof crack.

Funny that you mention break-ins. This was a very minor contributing factor to why to I decided against buying a Tesla in the SF Bay Area. Mitsuwa was mentioned and I responded at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/epidemic-of-model-3-small-window-break-ins.96205/page-2#post-2816758. I've been there many times w/my Leaf and once in the past two weeks w/my Bolt. Car's never been broken into there, yet.

Here's another thread from the Bay Area: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/13-cars-broken-into-last-night-for-laptops-costco-sunnyvale-parking-lot.97112/. https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Tech-CEOs-Tesla-Broken-Into-4-Times-in-Same-Mountain-View-Lot-506968271.html made the local news. My only hypotheses as to why are the perhaps thieves believe that those driving Teslas after work on weekdays think that the driver's a tech worker who left their laptop inside? Thieves seem to figure they can break the back corner window and easily flip down the seat to check what's in the back.

If Teslas continue to be a disproportionate target of auto thieves in my area, you can bet insurance rates on them will go up.

I had no analysis paralysis. I ran thru the numbers (actual price tax credit, etc.) w/what was available in Jan 2019, ran hypothetical numbers if the SR ever came out, listed out the features and attributes I cared about and decided no 3 for me back then. The MR, SR, SR+, etc. did nothing to address any my issues other than price.
jlv said:
WetEV said:
Yes, I've noticed that a majority of traffic is Tesla fanboys telling LEAF drivers and potential drivers just how great Tesla is (don't mind Musk's tweets) and how horrible Nissan is, and how horrible the LEAF is.
I feel the attitude here on MNL is lots of people who want to find fault in what Tesla has accomplished. It almost seems to me that the attitude is "I can't afford it, so I have to say how horrible it is", but it seems to transcend even that.
There is certainly quite a bit of what WetEV states going on here. :roll:

As for afford or not, I can't speak for others but I can afford any model of Tesla and pay cash for a new one. So, it's not a matter of afford or not, for me.

The Model X is a reliability disaster. I have no use for nor want an SUV, besides that fact I dislike its styling (have stated all of this numerous times in several places). The Model S has drifted far beyond what I'd want to pay for car. Its long-term reliability and cost for repairs are questionable. The 3 comes closest to what I'd be willing to pay for a vehicle. However, despite it being far superior to my Bolt in several aspects (e.g. Supercharger network, SC charging speeds, interior quality), it fails to meet my criteria for buying for numerous reasons.

Of course everyone gets windshield chips I have plenty on other cars but I don’t have any roof damage and if I ever do it won’t be from going under an over pass as that sounds like plain bad luck. New cars with lower drag are more prone to debris strikes and it won’t matter what the roof is made from so I would rarer replace a small glass panel than have to paint a roof which would be required with the same hit unless you like chips. Contrary to belief the panel in question on a 3 roof is small not the entire roof , it’s like a sun roof. In the meantime I simply won’t worry about it because I’ll be driving an ev I enjoy and won’t be driving an ICE posting about all the reasons every ev on the market does not meet my needs. No ev is perfect and I have owned more than 10 different models and the two best so far were the LEAF and the 3. The LEAF is a great ev for short trips and makes sense if you can get a deal on one and you are not concerned or impacted by degradation issues. The new prices on an SR Plus 3 really make it an amazing value and in a different league. The vast majority of the many ev buyers think about range and charging not that the front end looks like a Chevy (no), the dash needs darker stain (change it with a kit) or some other nonsense excuse. There are easily thousands of LEAF buyers that bought a 3 so clearly some
found it acceptable. In the meantime some will stick with an ice until the perfect ev comes and they can pick apart all models they won’t be buying for many gas driving years. Nissan actually would have been competing with Tesla had they got their act together over all the many years they had to make changes with their first mover advantage. Even with no viable charge network they blew their opportunity likely due to corporate profit greed and politics. Tesla May struggle financially but they did a service to the market and changed ev history because without them there would be little movement in this space and we would not have the tech we see today. Companies like Nissan are not tech leaders and will never lead the market, in fact few companies likely will in this space. People that rally for Tesla to fail simply don’t get the repercussions on the entire market. Show me any other company that has done anything like this ever in the auto world. Should they fail today they still won even if a few roofs chip.

I just got an email from Tesla stating that the model 3 is now available for lease. It also appears that the model 3 SR is no longer available and the cheapest you can get is the SR plus for $39500.

I priced the lease for a black one with no upgrades and it is $3k down + $504 /month with 10k miles/year. Assuming they pocket the tax credit they'll make $25k for 3 years. Sweet deal for them if the resale value remains high like it appears it will.

For comparison sake I'm paying $10500 for 3 years and 15k miles/year on a 2018 Leaf SV lease. Folks can decide for themselves what the better deal is for their situation...

As to the overall conversation I respect what Tesla has done a great deal and think they have generally made an exciting product. That said, I also get a bit annoyed by the constant leaf bashing by 4 or 5 Tesla owners on a leaf forum. I looked at both cars in quite a bit of detail and I chose the Leaf over the Tesla M3. It is not a decision that I regret.

golfcart said:
I just got an email from Tesla stating that the model 3 is now available for lease. It also appears that the model 3 SR is no longer available and the cheapest you can get is the SR plus for $39500.

I priced the lease for a black one with no upgrades and it is $3k down + $504 /month with 10k miles/year. Assuming they pocket the tax credit they'll make $25k for 3 years. Sweet deal for them if the resale value remains high like it appears it will.

For comparison sake I'm paying $10500 for 3 years and 15k miles/year on a 2018 Leaf SV lease. Folks can decide for themselves what the better deal is for their situation...

As to the overall conversation I respect what Tesla has done a great deal and think they have generally made an exciting product. That said, I also get a bit annoyed by the constant leaf bashing by 4 or 5 Tesla owners on a leaf forum. I looked at both cars in quite a bit of detail and I chose the Leaf over the Tesla M3. It is not a decision that I regret.

And the "great M3 lease" program:

https://www.tesla.com/model3/design?redirect=no&utm_source=communication&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Model3LeasingAvailable&utm_term=%7Blocale:en_US;LLC:known;bizUnit:vehicles;variant:;SendDate:2019-04-13%7D&utm_content=product_update&smc_id=25334957#payment

Only 10K miles for 3 yrs, oh please. As usual with Tesla, the issue becomes whether the lease package ($$$) you desire gets an immediate delivery!

Due Today$2,500
Fully refundable
By clicking "Place Order" I agree to the Model 3 Order Agreement, Supercharger Fair Use Policy, the Customer Privacy Agreement, and consent to be contacted at the number provided with more information or offers about Tesla products. I understand these calls or texts may use automated dialing or pre-recorded messages. I understand my consent to be contacted is not a condition of purchase.

After payment, comes the email:
"Given the incredible number of lease orders Tesla received for your specific M3, your lease vehicle will be available before
July of 2019, at which time more detailed information about the lease terms will be available."

golfcart said:

cwerdna said:
Thanks to a post elsewhere:
"Pricing changed again, AP (single lane) now standard.... SR is a software limited SR+." SR and LR RWD available by calling or via stores.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-vehicle-lineup
No. You need to call or visit a store to get the 3 SR, until Tesla cancels it.
golfcart said:

Indeed. The 3 lease prices are very high when you look at the total cost of lease.
golfcart said:
Totally agree, except I chose a Bolt and have no regrets.
lorenfb said:
And the "great M3 lease" program:

https://www.tesla.com/model3/design?redirect=no&utm_source=communication&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Model3LeasingAvailable&utm_term=%7Blocale:en_US;LLC:known;bizUnit:vehicles;variant:;SendDate:2019-04-13%7D&utm_content=product_update&smc_id=25334957#payment

Only 10K miles for 3 yrs, oh please.
One can up the allowed miles but it's not very discoverable. You need to click the estimate payments link at the bottom.

OT: Here we go again w/Elon's crazy claims at https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1117099861273219073.
Elon Musk
Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @Gfilche

Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.
9:18 AM - 13 Apr 2019
I find the million mile claim for DUs highly doubtful, considering their track record and claims/excuses on previous vehicles. As a reminder, about the 3, I collected 20 some failed Model 3 DU reports at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=553832#p553832 which I'd stumbled across.

I was looking into used Model S and for some reason most of them offered for private sale had Battery, Motor and MCU(tablet) replaced under Tesla warranty, before they put those for sale. I decided to avoid used ones because of this. Does not exactly induce much of the owner confidence going forward.

Elon promises individual module replacements, I think I heard something like this previously from another manufacturer and it didn't pan out too well.

Leaf15 said:
I was looking into used Model S and for some reason most of them offered for private sale had Battery, Motor and MCU(tablet) replaced under Tesla warranty, before they put those for sale. I decided to avoid used ones because of this. Does not exactly induce much of the owner confidence going forward.

Tesla has a great warranty. So, if you happen to have one of those issues, it will be repaired for free. If it was previously repaired, it probably won't need it again. If in the rare occasion you do, still covered, unless out of warranty.

EVDRIVER said:
EVDRIVER said:
OrientExpress said:
Lemmings instinct is to follow their peers.

Says the sheep as they follow Nissan over the lithium cliffs:) I'm sure things will bounce with the LR LEAF that is going to arrive tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Or was that the infinity that was launching years ago? I'll tweet Carlos and ask, they don't monitor his tweets do they?

By the way, the lemmings are former LEAF owners they just went over to places like TMC.

When Nissan gets their act together after 8 plus years I may reconsider but I'm not holding my breath based on history.

My son owned a Leaf and now owns a Bolt. The Bolt is a superior vehicle compared to a Leaf.

I still own 2 Leafs and also own a Tesla. Tesla is superior to Leaf. Currently, Tesla is superior to all other BEV's.

I don't need brand loyalty, I want the better car on the market. Nissan may be a better car sometime in the future. What they are making now is not. I am disappointed that Nissan has not produced what most Americans want.

If I were to have brand loyalty, it would have been Nissan. I like the idea that they made a great effort to get electric cars out to the world when no one else would.

IMO Nissan dropped the ball and did not capitalize on it's lead.

Tesla is an American car company that in short order has propelled itself to the current top dog to beat. I am impressed by their product compared to all others.

^^Probably true, and if someone were to give me any EV I wanted, I'd probably pick a Tesla Model S. But I had to buy my car and as such, I am very satisfied with the Leaf I purchased. As always, YMMV

Traded in my Leaf today for a Tesla Model 3. I purchased the $35,000 car and i was not disappointed. What a fantastic car! Looking forward to my first EV roadtrip this weekend.

palmermd said:
Traded in my Leaf today for a Tesla Model 3. I purchased the $35,000 car and i was not disappointed. What a fantastic car! Looking forward to my first EV roadtrip this weekend.
Congratulations! Dare I ask how much Tesla gave you as trade in value for the 2011 LEAF?

SalisburySam said:
palmermd said:
Congratulations! Dare I ask how much Tesla gave you as trade in value for the 2011 LEAF?

I figured the car would sell private party for about 4k. Carmax offered 2k, so I asked Tesla and they also offered 2k. After a week or so of thinking about it I decided to just trade it in with Tesla. It was much easier that way. I did not need a ride to the delivery center, just left the car I came in with.

I got way more than 2k worth of upgrades on the car in the last week or two, which makes it much more palatable.

palmermd said:
SalisburySam said:
palmermd said:

I figured the car would sell private party for about 4k. Carmax offered 2k, so I asked Tesla and they also offered 2k. After a week or so of thinking about it I decided to just trade it in with Tesla. It was much easier that way. I did not need a ride to the delivery center, just left the car I came in with.

I got way more than 2k worth of upgrades on the car in the last week or two, which makes it much more palatable.
Thanks for sharing the details, much appreciated. I kept my 2012 LEAF (heated steering wheel, you know, not available on Model 3). I really do like my LEAF in so many ways...it just can’t go anywhere outside my city. You’ve confirmed that it isn’t worth much, as I suspected, to anyone but me.

BTW, you likely already know this, but there are at least three Tesla-related fora I subscribe to that you may find useful with your new car:

1- https://www.Teslamotorsclub.com for all Tesla vehicles and some solar and battery as well.
2- https://www.Teslaownersonline.com probably the most complete, informative, and useful forum, much like https://www.mynissanleaf.com in my opinion.
3- https://forums.tesla.com Tesla’s own forum. Good info, lots of valuable participation, but no search function built-in...have to use external searches. Still, if you keep up with it, lots of good info. And Tesla itself does not seem to participate oddly.

Enjoy the “3”! I certainly have.

Lastly, there is no exact equivalent for Teslas to the incredible LeafSpyPro for the LEAF. However, much of the same information and lots of charging and trip data ARE available through the Tesla app itself. If you’re a real data hound, you’ll want to get one (not more than one, they tend to not play well together) of the 3rd-party apps. You can read lots about these apps in the fora listed above. For me, the only one available last July when I picked up my Model 3 was “TeslaFi” at https://www.teslafi.com. It is $5/mo or $50/year and the amount of data you get as well as its presentation is pretty awesome. It keeps track of your firmware updates (number, date installed, days from previous update, etc.) and gives information about the Tesla fleet as a whole. Others, such as an app called “Stats” have come on the scene and more are coming. For me, these new apps don’t have a way of converting existing information into their apps so I’d lose all my TeslaFi data completely if I switched, so I’m sticking with TeslaFi. So far, I like it the best of what’s available, but that changes hourly in the app world.

Whatever you do, enjoy your new ride! (I may have mentioned that a couple of times already, but I like redundancy...again.)

palmermd said:
Wow,. Thanks for the super detailed and informative post. I'll check out the other forums and apps.
FWIW, TeslaOwnersOnline.com is the renamed Model3OwnersClub.com. It got created after the Model 3 reservations started (it's the "upstart") and then got renamed later when they realized they were being too selective. I personally prefer TMC.

TeslaFi is definitely something I highly recommend. The stats it collects are awesome. See this post for a view of the lifetime map of my S:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/danbury-ct-supercharger.90292/page-12#post-3306590

IEVS:
Alex On Autos Presents Base Tesla Model 3 Standard
https://insideevs.com/reviews/346084/video-base-tesla-model-3-standard/

Alex on Autos recently received his base $35,000 Tesla Model 3 Standard version, with only one option - Blue color (added for a $1,000 in this particular case).

The Standard version is kind of a software-limited Standard Plus version, which means slightly less range, power, acceleration, lack of some features, etc. The initial quick look at the car revealed so far only a minor downgrade of the interior and some small changes in the touchscreen interface. . . .
There will be a full review in a week or so, also a head-to-head comparison with the LEAF e-Plus and Niro EV.

SageBrush said:
sparky said:
They'll ship few to Norway in April and we'll read about the "Norwegian demand cliff".
:lol: :lol:
You are so right

What happened here?

April is off to a horrible start for Tesla in the countries in Europe where we get daily sales (registration) data: Norway and The Netherlands.
Compared to March, the daily sales rate in Norway in April thus far is down 82%, and in The Netherlands it’s down 76%.
For the more expensive and higher-margin Model S and X, Tesla is losing market share to Audi and Jaguar’s electric cars in the most dramatic of ways.
Audi eTron and Jaguar i-Pace are outselling Tesla Model X and S combined by a factor of 5.7 to 1 in Norway, and 9.7 to 1 in The Netherlands.
Tesla usually makes up for an April shortfall in the last month of the quarter, but this is a very deep hole from which Tesla now has to dig.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4256243-teslas-model-3-sales-fall-82-percent-norway-76-percent-netherlands?dr=1

Back