From truck to leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys after beating on the sales manager for a week I finally got a car, 2018 SV. Its a 208 mile trip to home. Is plugshare best for fining my mid charging point?

DustanT said:
Ok guys after beating on the sales manager for a week I finally got a car, 2018 SV. Its a 208 mile trip to home. Is plugshare best for fining my mid charging point?

Generally, yes. Congrats! It's got the winter package, right?

Enjoy. I really wanted the SV with cloth seats, but those Nissan...executives...decided to tie the Around View and Bose stereo to the SL. May they burn in...Nirvana. ;)

DustanT said:

Congrats! now for the upgrades! I recommend installing an ecohitch so that you can use the leaf more often. :D

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:

Congrats! now for the upgrades! I recommend installing an ecohitch so that you can use the leaf more often. :D

Is that some kind of special hitch lol

DustanT said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:

Is that some kind of special hitch lol

Not really, it's just one that was specifically designed to be bolted directly onto the Leaf's frame: https://torkliftcentral.com/2013-2016-nissan-leaf-ecohitch?v=4

They're pricey, but are very easy to DIY (I installed mine myself, but would've been easier with a friend). The alternative is one made by Curt, but that requires drilling one hole into the reinforced parts of the unibody frame.

I wish there were more manufacturers, because it's only about $20 worth of metal at most! But its served me well over the years, so shouldn't complain.

You guys able to squeeze a few miles out with higher tire pressure like the hybrids do? I found a RV nema 14-50 50 amp plug halfway home I can use at a camp ground I called. I plan on running 65mph on the freeway instead of 70 or 75.

DustanT said:
You guys able to squeeze a few miles out with higher tire pressure like the hybrids do? I found a RV nema 14-50 50 amp plug halfway home I can use at a camp ground I called. I plan on running 65mph on the freeway instead of 70 or 75.

Yes on the tire pressure, but the slower speed would definitely help far more.

Also, I have LeafSpy Pro and checked. No way to turn off the back-up sound nor motor whine. Not sure if those are "safety features" and thus not defeatable.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:

Yes on the tire pressure, but the slower speed would definitely help far more.

Also, I have LeafSpy Pro and checked. No way to turn off the back-up sound nor motor whine. Not sure if those are "safety features" and thus not defeatable.

I'll have to find the speaker lol

DustanT said:
Is 40 amp 220v good enough for the lvl 2? I've seen 2 draw amounts, 27.5 and 32.

40 amp is perfect for a Leaf, which draws about 28 amps. You need a 20% buffer, so 40A is the smallest size that you can use with the OEM dual voltage charging cable.

BTW, modern US voltages are 120 volt, 208 volt, and 240 volt. 208 doesn't work with the Nissan cable, but 240 does.

LeftieBiker said:
DustanT said:
Is 40 amp 220v good enough for the lvl 2? I've seen 2 draw amounts, 27.5 and 32.

40 amp is perfect for a Leaf, which draws about 28 amps. You need a 20% buffer, so 40A is the smallest size that you can use with the OEM dual voltage charging cable.

BTW, modern US voltages are 120 volt, 208 volt, and 240 volt. 208 doesn't work with the Nissan cable, but 240 does.

Ok thanks, I'm going to run a plug to my parking spot.

Ok thanks, I'm going to run a plug to my parking spot.

Before you do, make absolutely sure that you have 240 volts, not 208. The latter is usually found in townhouses, but you never know - unless you already do, of course. I'm assuming you'll be using the OEM Nissan charging cable. If not there are other charging cables and stations that will work on 208 volts, and charge your car.

I have a lot of 208 at work.
On a multi meter it usually shows from 227 to 234 volts at no load.

Even if all you get is a 240v 16 amp evse it will be a huge improvement over 120v charging.

Cool thanks, at work I'm hooking up a 14-50 so I can do most of my charging there. I guess tomorrow I'll find out first hand how it charges on a RV plug at some campground I found.

Well that was fun lol, had to stop and charge for 3 hours total. But found a great place to eat. Made it home with 5% charge. It was 32° so a bit cold. Screen says avg was 3.4 mile/kwh

Back