Need Help on Getting Details on Battery Replacement for Nissan 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsd0965

Hi

My 2 yr lease for the Nissan leaf I bought in May 2017 is expiring next month.

I have used around 20K miles and the top (1st bar) seems to be off already (basically 1 bar less). Not sure if this is a battery issue or software issue from what I heard from someone. If someone knows about it, would be great to hear on this

My other question is if I buy this Leaf outright at the end of my 2 year lease, it would cost me $11561. I am wondering if buying this makes sense but then the question is how much would it cost to replace the batteries after 4-5 years since I need to factor that cost into this as well.

I have been trying to find details on how much it would cost to replace the battery for NIssan 2017 but unable to get more details on this.

Thanks very much if you can share more light on the above.

Tushar

There is a battery management system (BMS) "update" available for free for the 30kwh packs. Once they do that, the lost capacity bar will return. IF it stays and you have no further issues (some people lose the bar and associated range again, or the bar returns but not the lost range) then your low residual makes buying a good deal. I suggest that you NOT buy the car until at least 3 months after the BMS patch, to see if the apparent regained capacity is real. Ask for a 3 month lease extension, saying that you are waiting to but a Leaf ePlus.

tsd0965 said:
I am wondering if buying this makes sense but then the question is how much would it cost to replace the batteries after 4-5 years since I need to factor that cost into this as well.

I have been trying to find details on how much it would cost to replace the battery for NIssan 2017 but unable to get more details on this.
I agree with GerryAZ.

Why would you want to "replace the batteries after 4-5 years"? You do realize that there's an 8 year/100K capacity warranty, right? If you are down to 8 capacity bars remaining or less before that time, you'll receive a free replacement. The software update (https://insideevs.com/news/338528/update-nissan-has-software-fix-for-2016-17-leaf-30-kwh-battery-reporting-issues/) needs to be applied first.

If you plan to replace outside of warranty, we haven't heard a price for 30 kWh packs, but judging by http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25882, it's low $7Ks to $8500 to replace a 24 kWh pack. I doubt we'll hear a price until 30 kWh Leafs are past capacity warranty expiration.

cwerdna said:
If you plan to replace outside of warranty, we haven't heard a price for 30 kWh packs, but judging by http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25882, it's low $7Ks to $8500 to replace a 24 kWh pack. I doubt we'll hear a price until 30 kWh Leafs are past capacity warranty expiration.

I was told by Nissan EV Help that all battery replacements are $7k + labor (~$8500). That is irrespective of capacity.

Who knows why they priced it that way, but given their history, I wouldn't be surprised if the price suddenly jumps up once the 30 kWh cars are out of warranty, like it did for the 24 kWh.

The bottom line is that you may have a good battery that just needs a BMS update, or you may have a deteriorating battery that you should avoid buying. Only getting the free BMS update, and then waiting a few months, will provide the possibility for an answer - for which you will also need the LeafSpy Pro app and a compatible OBDII port reader. A reading can't be done immediately after the update, because the BMS is reset when it's done, and has to relearn the actual (?) capacity of the battery. That process takes a while.

LeftieBiker said:
The bottom line is that you may have a good battery that just needs a BMS update, or you may have a deteriorating battery that you should avoid buying. Only getting the free BMS update, and then waiting a few months, will provide the possibility for an answer - for which you will also need the LeafSpy Pro app and a compatible OBDII port reader. A reading can't be done immediately after the update, because the BMS is reset when it's done, and has to relearn the actual (?) capacity of the battery. That process takes a while.

Understood but unfortunately since I need to decide by mid next month, it doesn't seem like a good option to keep my current lease given what everyone has said.

I already have negotiated a deal for buying 2019 Leaf S at 25K flat + taxes today late evening with Hayward Nissan and will probably pursue that route. Thank you all very much. This is the 40KW one and rather than leasing seems like buying will probably make much more sense since the least lease per month cost which I am getting quoted including all down payment is around $235 per month.

My current lease is $137 per month with all taxes included and was able to negotiate a $0 down back in May 2017 when I leased it and 23 payments of $137 and so it made sense to lease it since it seemed extremely cheap option back at that time.

Thanks again everyone...

$11,561 for a 2 year old car with only 20,000 miles would not be bad. If you can take advantage of the full tax credit, $25k + tax - $7.5k gets you a new car with a larger battery for $17.5k + tax so that is also a good way to go.

I agree with Gerry (although you can usually get a 3 month lease extension if you can convince NMAC that you will be buying a new Nissan in 3 months - although there is no obligation to do so) on a 40kwh Leaf being a good deal at $25k. Just keep these two things in mind:

* Living in even a moderate climate, you NEED the "All Weather Package." It includes the heat pump, heated seats, and heated wheel that used to be standard on the SV and SL. Some dealers try to unload cars without that package even in colder climates. The S doesn't have a heat pump available, so unless your range needs are 80 miles or less, or your climate is warmer than average, don't get that S - look for an SV with the all weather package.

* The battery in the 40kwh Leaf may not be any better than the 30kwh pack, although it has more range. There have been cell failures in early builds (like with the 30kwh cars), radar unit failures in cars with Pro Pilot, and some of us are seeing more degradation than we'd like.

tsd0965 said:
I already have negotiated a deal for buying 2019 Leaf S at 25K flat + taxes today late evening with Hayward Nissan and will probably pursue that route. Thank you all very much. This is the 40KW one
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "KW". See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=540845#p540845.

Back