2018-2019 Leaf 2.0 "Service EV System. Unable to restart after power off"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I'm in Canada.

I was on my way home, and the exact same error message popped up. I didn't want to take any chance, so I drove directly to the nearby Nissan dealership. The service manager looked at the car, and he couldn't do anything to switch it from "P" to "D" or "R" mode. Then the EV mechanic came out, and he had to manually clear the code/error message via the ODBII, and then it would allow him to switch to "D", so at least we didn't need to tow or push the car :). He then drove the car into the service bay, and as soon as he turned off the car and restarted it, the same error message popped up on the dash again, and it wouldn't go to "D" or "R".

My car is a 2018 SL. I don't remember the manufacturing date, but I picked up the car at the end of August 2018. After reading all the posts here, I'm pretty sure I have the same bad cells issue on the battery. I'm waiting to see what Nissan says.

The car survived the cold Canadian winter, and I had zero issue with the car.... until this thing happened. I was very happy with my Leaf, and I was recommending Leaf to everyone I know. I'm not sure if I would do it again because this battery issue is a big and expensive repair, and I can't imagine when the car is out of warranty and I have to pay thousands of dollars to repair the bad/defective battery :cry:

No problem. I will check the build date when I see my car again (it's at the Nissan dealer right now).

As of getting a new battery, I truly hope that would be the case. But according to the posts here, it seems like Nissan is repairing the bad battery cells instead of replacing the entire sealed battery?

They have done cell replacements in the past, yes. I'm hoping that as the cars pass the first year, they may replace packs as with the '16-'17 cars. It may be wishful thinking, though. I shouldn't have sounded so sure.

LeftieBiker said:
If you can get the build month from the door sill sticker, that would be appreciated. You should get a new, free battery, anyway.

I am not sure if you mean the window sticker that came with the car. I looked at mine, do not see a build date.
Is it on one of the front door jams?

Baltneu said:
LeftieBiker said:
If you can get the build month from the door sill sticker, that would be appreciated. You should get a new, free battery, anyway.

I am not sure if you mean the window sticker that came with the car. I looked at mine, do not see a build date. Is it on one of the front door jams?

Yes. Rearward side, near the latch post.

They definitely replaced just one cell pack (two cells in a box) on mine, despite my hopes they'd give me a whole new pack.
Still getting the cell voltages to balance with the rest of the pack too. The tech did some balancing, but last I looked they were a good 80mV above every other cell.

We have a vehicle that is stuck at my work with this error! Have to take an Uber back home! Is there any way to Jump start / go past this error, at least enough to drive it home or to the dealer? If we have to tow it, does the dealer do it? It is parked on the 4th floor of a garage!

harikb said:
We have a vehicle that is stuck at my work with this error! Have to take an Uber back home! Is there any way to Jump start / go past this error, at least enough to drive it home or to the dealer? If we have to tow it, does the dealer do it? It is parked on the 4th floor of a garage!

It is under warranty so towing to the dealer is covered. When calling Nissan Roadside Service, explain the parking situation to them so that they can send an appropriate tow truck.

GerryAZ said:
harikb said:

It is under warranty so towing to the dealer is covered. When calling Nissan Roadside Service, explain the parking situation to them so that they can send an appropriate tow truck.

We have been trying to get it towed. First tow truck bailed out in the morning. Now a second tow truck came and bailed out, after 3 hours of wait. I don't know why they keep sending large tow trucks when we have specifically told them the clearance height. Anyways, looks like me and my wife will have to push the car down to the ground level and then call them again

2018 Nissan Leaf SL

This "Error SERVICE EV - No Power" message came on about 3 times with my car and I'd walk away for 5 minutes come back and it would start up.

This morning when i went to start it, nothing, dead,

Had a tow truck driver come out. He jumped the battery and the only thing I could do thankfully was put it in neutral so he could push me out of my garage to tow it to the dealer.

Very frustrated and disappointed with this as this car only has 918 miles on and I love the way it drives and feels when it starts.

Waiting to hear from the dealer.

harikb said:
GerryAZ said:
harikb said:

We have been trying to get it towed. First tow truck bailed out in the morning. Now a second tow truck came and bailed out, after 3 hours of wait. I don't know why they keep sending large tow trucks when we have specifically told them the clearance height. Anyways, looks like me and my wife will have to push the car down to the ground level and then call them again

So this looks like the record for "one and done" posting. So can I implore the recent posters to update us?

I haven’t posted on this subject, but my 18’ with 8k just had this. Been at dealer all week with no update yet. When I hear back I’ll add my findings to the thread.

I had the same problem with my 2018 S. Delivery was late November, and I'll have to find the manufacture date. Just crossed 7500 miles.

Car wouldn't engage and had to be towed to dealership.

Car has been at the dealership for about 40 days now due to delays in shipping replacement modules. Dealer said there was a large backorder causing delay. Parts arrived on Thursday and waiting for status.

I'm guessing the backorder is related to multiple failures.

^^^
If it's been out of service that long, you may consider looking into your state's lemon laws to see if it qualifies. It's different for every state.

If it's been out of service that long, you may consider looking into your state's lemon laws to see if it qualifies. It's different for every state.

Yeah, I've started looking into it. It qualified at 30 days,

GEEZ! I'm glad I don't have a 2018. Except for replacing the crappy 12V battery, tires, and the traction battery in July, 2017--(split the cost with Nissan, $3,000 out the door), My 2011 SL has never had any maintenance issues in over 8 yrs/46,000 miles. It seems to perform better as it gets older. I still think the 2011 cars are more reliable (made/assembled in Japan).

Back