Estimated range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

The participants in this forum sure use a lot of arcane abbreviations! Apparently GOM stands for guess-o-meter but I may be wrong.
Anyway, when I bought my new 2018 Leaf S in September last year a night of charging usually resulted in an estimated range of about 154-160 miles. Now that number is typically 177-184 miles...interesting.

Bouldergramp said:
The participants in this forum sure use a lot of arcane abbreviations! Apparently GOM stands for guess-o-meter but I may be wrong.
Anyway, when I bought my new 2018 Leaf S in September last year a night of charging usually resulted in an estimated range of about 154-160 miles. Now that number is typically 177-184 miles...interesting.

GOM is Guess-o-meter, a phrase and abbreviation long predating the LEAF. Any range estimation device is a GOM.

Warmer weather means longer estimated ranges. As does more efficient driving.

WetEV said:
Bouldergramp said:

GOM is Guess-o-meter, a phrase and abbreviation long predating the LEAF. Any range estimation device is a GOM.

Warmer weather means longer estimated ranges. As does more efficient driving.
As does a change in route before charging that reduces energy/distance.

SageBrush said:

Yes, though the 2018+ models are far less susceptible to that kind of range inflation. They significantly changed the algorithm behind the GOM, and it is far more accurate than before.

Astros said:
SageBrush said:

Yes, though the 2018+ models are far less susceptible to that kind of range inflation. They significantly changed the algorithm behind the GOM, and it is far more accurate than before.
Good to hear.

My wife still finds it unsettling to charge up to 80% in our 24 kWh battery LEAF, drive 5 miles to the gym and upon return find the GOM at 40 miles even though the battery sits at 12 bars of capacity (though admittedly not for long.) My explanation that the GOM is relying on the trip home with its 1000 ft climb is accepted ... sort of. She only really forgave the LEAF after I convinced her to ignore the GOM and rely on the SoC.

Back