Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two more sites are open, making 21 for the month and 156 total: Spanish Fork, UT (Jct, I-15/U.S. 6); Ogallala, NE (I-80 E. of I-76).

Spanish Fork is critical to join SLC with what will be a needed site around Green River, UT, via U.S. 6, and also extends down I-15 towards the "Coming soon" QCs in Cedar City, Washington and Mesquite. At least one and maybe two more QCs in unknown locations will be needed on I-15 between Spanish Fork and Cedar City to connect them, although it will be possible to do so before that by detouring over to the QC site in Richfield (Coming soon) via U.S. 50/89/I-70.

Ogallala provides much needed shortening of the 181 mile leg between North Platte and Ft. Morgan, as Ogallala is 52 miles from North Platte and 130 from Ft. Morgan. It's now possible to drive Denver - Chicago via I-76/80 (over 1,000 miles) in a CCS/CHAdeMO-equipped BEV, with no leg longer than 130 miles. Or you can continue on to Indianapolis if you wish.

Four sites have opened, making four for the month and 160 total: Gardena, CA (off S.R. 258, surrounded by I-105/405/110); Blackwell, OK ( Jct. I-35/S.R. 11, just S. of the KS border); Bellmead, TX (Jct. I-35/S.R. 340, N,. of Waco); Genoa, OH (SE of Jct. I-80&90/280, SE of Toledo. Dual site due to toll road, currently westbound only, east-bound "Coming soon").

Although the I-80&90 legs east (148 miles to Girard) and west (169 miles to Mishawaka) are a bit long and need infill to shorten them (both are "Coming soon," in West Unity and Sheffield), the opening of Genoa makes it possible to drive I-80 all the way from NYC to Denver, a road distance of 1,780 miles. For now, you can shorten the leg between Genoa and Girard by detouring through Mansfield.

Blackwell shortens the 172 mile I-35 leg between Moore, OK and Wichita, KS to 107 and 66 miles.

Bellmead shortens the 202 mile I-35 leg between Round Rock and Denton to 83 and 120 miles, and makes it easy to reach DFW from San Antonio.

Gardena mainly boosts density, as it's fairly close to the other sites in SoCal, but it is closer to some of the freeways mentioned.

Per a poster on Plugshare at least one of the sites appeared on the EA map last night , but as I didn't check them then I'm calling them all May openings. Tomorrow marks one year since the first EA QC site opened, so 160 isn't too shabby, especially compared to Tesla's 27 or 29 over a similar period. Tesla's SC sites are generally better located, unless you enjoy spending time in lots of Walmart and Target parking lots, but that was the trade-off for the quickest possible build-out.

Weatherford, OK (I-40 69 miles W. of OKC) is open, #5 for the month and #161 total. It's 195 miles via I-40 to the Amarillo QC, so you might make it with extreme care, but realistically they need at least one more site in between them.

Three more sites are open, making 8 for the month and 164 total: El Paso, TX (I-10, btwn Jcts. with U.S. 62 & S.R. 375); Terre Haute, IN (Jct. I-70/U.S. 40); Stafford, VA (I-95, btwn Fredericksburg and Alexandria).

At the moment about all you can reach from El Paso is the QC in Deming, but QCs east and west of those are "Coming soon".

Terre Haute shortens the 145 mile I-70 leg between Effingham, IL and Indianapolis to two legs of 74 and 73 miles.

Stafford shortens the 234 mile I-95 leg between Emporia, VA and Abingdon, MD to two legs of 134 and 102 miles; a "Coming soon" site in Richmond, VA will shorten the first leg even more. It's also 48 miles from the QC in Reston, VA, and 69 miles from the one in Zion Crossroads, VA.

Four more sites are open, making 12 for the month and 168 total: Santa Fe, NM (Jct. I-25/S.R. 14); Sweetwater, TX (Jct. I-20/S.R. 70); Salina, KS (Old U.s. 40, E. of Jct. I-70/135); Eastbound Genoa, OH (I-80&90, 2nd half owing to toll road not allowing crossing over). As EA is counting the dual sites separately I'll do so as well, just because it's easier for me to keep track as the map numbers change.

Salina provides direct access from Denver to KCY, STL and Indianapolis by shortening the 198 mile I-70 leg between Hays and Topeka to two legs of 105 and 97 miles. Once Huber Heights and/or Columbus, OH open, a non-toll route will be available all the way from NYC to DEN.

Santa Fe is by itself for now, but it makes it possible to drive from ABQ to Taos, and using extreme care, you can even get to Trinidad, and from there on to DEN.

Sweetwater extends I-20 west from Eastland, TX towards the next site "Coming soon" in Midland, presumably followed by Pecos on the way to El Paso through Van Horn.

As noted, Genoa eastbound just provides charging in both directions on I-80 & 90, but reduces the hassle of an eastbound trip from Chicago to NYC, making it as convenient as westbound.

GCC:
Electrify America launches EV charging app, membership options; plans ~20% price reduction off current rates
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/05/20190506-ea.html

Electrify America launched a mobile app, available for both Android and iPhone. The company’s first app allows users to manage the entire charging session on their phone, increasing convenience for electric vehicle (EV) owners.

The company also is introducing two charging membership plans called Electrify America Pass and Electrify America Pass+. In addition, Electrify America will be changing its introductory charging cost pricing, currently at 30 to 35 cents per-minute, and will implement a roughly 20% reduction on those prices, depending on regions and local utility rates.

The Electrify America allows users to:

• Locate a Charger: Find a charging station near you and get directions. The Locate a Charger feature shows you the charging stations in your area, how many of each type of charger are at the station, and which ones are currently available. Become a member of Electrify America Pass and you can see the charging status of vehicles currently using the chargers and get notified when a charger becomes available.

Pay for a charge: Upload payment information into the app and pay for a charging session through the phone. You can also see prices before you charge, by selecting a station where you’d like to view the charging costs.

Track your charging session: While your vehicle is charging, you can check its progress in real time. If your vehicle communicates charging information, the app will show you your battery’s current state of charge (SOC) and the time until your battery reaches “bulk” charge, typically around 80 percent SOC. You also can choose to get notifications when your charging session has started, slowed and stopped. Once your session is complete, the app will provide a receipt.

With the launch of the Electrify America app, the company is also introducing two new membership plans which will be available starting in late May and include:

• Electrify America Pass: Includes the standard per-minute cost plus a $1 session fee.

Electrify America Pass+: A subscription plan with the lowest per-minute price and a $4 monthly subscription fee. Members will receive an additional discount off of the standard pricing.

Pricing. Electrify America charging is priced by the minute. The company has created a new pricing structure to prepare for future EVs capable of charging from 50kW up to 150kW and 350kW. Under the new Electrify America pricing structure, per-minute costs are dependent on the power level at which the car is charging and the state where the charger is located.

There will be three power levels for pricing: 0 – 75 kW; 76kW – 125 kW; and 126kW to 350kW.

Complete pricing information is available at http://www.ElectrifyAmerica.com/pricing and will be updated in late May when the new pricing structure is in place. The mobile app and membership will be released later in May. . . .
https://images.app.goo.gl/NLSLVowSyrgEascA8

Yeah, meant to mention it here as I did in the "Tesla Corporate Outlook" topic but forgot, so thanks for doing so. As I wrote there, "The app and other changes come on line in late May."

One more site has opened, making #13 for the month and #169 total: Port St. Lucie, FL (I-95). With this opening, it's now possible to travel the length of the peninsula all the way down to Miami (122 miles), so this one is high value. It's still a bit far to the next QC on I-95 to the north in Ormond Beach (149 miles), but you can detour over to the one in Orlando if you're worried about it, giving you two legs of 114 and 64 miles instead. Once the QC on I-95 in Cocoa opens this won't be an issue, as the leg lengths will then be Ormond Beach < 67 miles > Cocoa < 82 miles > PSL.

Two sites have opened, making 15 for the month and 171 total: La Mirada, CA (N. of Jct. I-5/S.R. 39); Lumberton, SC (Jct. I-95/U.S. 301).

La Mirada is one of the urban sites (2 CCS/1 CHAdeMO/1 L2). Lumberton is important, shortening the previously too long I-95 leg between Rocky Mount, NC and Florence, SC, from 180 miles to two legs of 119 and 62 miles.

I’ve read the horror stories about Electrify America being unreliable. They are true. Trying to get from Iowa to Denver. Grand Island Nebraska station is off line. Charged at a campground for 4 hours to make it to Lexington, NE. With a 78f battery, this station only puts out 13kW. Ogalala, is out of service so I can’t get to Fort Morgan, CO. Colby, KS is doable from Lexington as an alternative. It is out of service too. So far this trip, only Waukee, IA and Council Bluffs, IA actually work.
Someone way up the thread said this network is a joke. It is a cruel joke. I did the trip because when I left, all stations reported “in service “ on the EA webpage. Don’t be fooled, this only means not under construction. You must phone in to the call center to ask if things actually work. This 11 hour drive in an ICE will take me 3 days.

Leaf3540 said:
I’ve read the horror stories about Electrify America being unreliable. They are true. Trying to get from Iowa to Denver. Grand Island Nebraska station is off line. Charged at a campground for 4 hours to make it to Lexington, NE. With a 78f battery, this station only puts out 13kW. Ogalala, is out of service so I can’t get to Fort Morgan, CO. Colby, KS is doable from Lexington as an alternative. It is out of service too. So far this trip, only Waukee, IA and Council Bluffs, IA actually work.
Someone way up the thread said this network is a joke. It is a cruel joke. I did the trip because when I left, all stations reported “in service “ on the EA webpage. Don’t be fooled, this only means not under construction. You must phone in to the call center to ask if things actually work. This 11 hour drive in an ICE will take me 3 days.
Thanks for the report. I take it you're "Blueberry II" on Plugshare? BTW, were the CCS working, or were they out too?

The above information issue is one reason why they're going to real-time status info on a cell phone. Of course, the info actually has to be real-time to be useful, and it remains to be seen if that will be the case. Part of the problem is that teething issues with sites are inevitable - just ask Tesla. I had to add and remove some sites several times from the "open" list I kept in that thread, and plenty of owners got burned the same way you did with sites reported open that weren't by the time they arrived.

The range of the cars combined with the long spacing between sites pretty much requires that you stop at every site to charge, just to make sure you have enough to get to the next site beyond (or before) it on your reserve. ICEs benefit from both longer range as well as the near-certainty that you will have another gas station within 30 miles if the one you plan to use is closed or broken. We're a long way from having that kind of density on any U.S. charging network, Tesla included, although a few heavily traveled routes may have it, so a much larger reserve is required.

Personally, I don't consider EA's network really viable for CHAdeMO cars, simply because there's only a single charger per site so no redundancy. But, with virtually every manufacturer other than Nissan or Tesla (so far, in the U.S.) using CCS, I think that's less of a deal than it might be. Obviously, if you have a LEAF, that's not the case.

I have sent in comments to EA asking for at least 2 Chademo connectors. I am hoping that that heavy Leaf/Mitsubishi usage will push economics to have them offer 2 or 3 connectors.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have sent in comments to EA asking for at least 2 Chademo connectors. I am hoping that that heavy Leaf/Mitsubishi usage will push economics to have them offer 2 or 3 connectors.

Economics is that Chademo is dead.

I disagree.

1. Japan is staying Chademo and all makers are building with Chademo there.
2. Chinese consortium has joined forces for new 400 kWh standard extending Chademo.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/339133/china-turns-to-chademo-for-fast-charging-single-unified-standard/amp/

3. Europe and the US still have significant infra on Chademo with large bases of support east and west coast.

4. Plug is same globally. (Ccs is different in Europe than In the US)

All that said ccs is getting more new infra built then Chademo. Tesla now has adapters for both standards.

In my head it all comes down to whether the Chinese decide to build infra in the US with their cars to promote their standard or not. That will tip the balance one way or the other.

There are still 3000 plus chademos in the US and though slower, is still growing not declining.

As all the EU and U.S. manufacturers decided on CCS from the start, the Koreans have abandoned CHAdeMO here for CCS and Honda is also using it, unless Toyota gets into BEVs in a big way here and they use CHAdeMO, I think it has no future here. The Outlander doesn't need it (there's always another gas station), so that leaves the LEAF and a dwindling number of Gen 1 Soul EVs, plus maybe a few other older low-volume BEVs I'm forgetting.

CCS appears to be cheaper: two more wires on the same connector with two more pins, and a smaller door/less real estate required; compared to CHAdeMO's separate connector with four more wires and needing more real estate. As there's no major tech advantage either way, CCS seems to be the economic choice. As few cars will ever be shipped from one continent to another, the fact that CCS comes in two varieties is unlikely to be a significant factor.

GB/T will almost certainly drive out CHAdeMO in China and possibly the rest of Asia, so that pretty much leaves Japan as the sole CHAdeMO-dominant country.

Sorry, I missed that the UK is still mainly Chademo. Leafs also sold out in both UK and Europe.

China has declared partnership with Chademo, so Asia will likely line up behind the single standard.

Ccs isn’t really cheaper.

DougWantsALeaf said:
All that said ccs is getting more new infra built then Chademo. Tesla now has adapters for both standards.
They have adapters for both, but not all cars can use them.

The 3 in Europe comes with CCS. The CCS adapter is currently only for for the S/X in Europe with a Type 2 Mennekes.

The CHAdeMO adapter doesn't work with the 3. It is only for the S/X.

That said, I agree with what GRA said 2 posts up. CCS will be the dominant player in the US/Canada going forward. CHAdeMO may remain the winner in Japan, but I suspect it's days are numbered elsewhere.

Two sites have opened, making 17 for the month and 173 total: Everett #1, WA (S.R. 99 W. of I-5); Patterson, CA (Jct. I-5/S.R. 130).

Both provide a needed expansion of I-5 coverage, with more on the way.

GRA said:
Everett #1, WA

... a needed expansion of I-5 coverage, with more on the way.

This Everett station will be mostly useful for non-I-5 traffic, such as taking the ferry to Clinton or Paine field. Getting off I-5 and onto 99 isn't suggested.
Kinda like Colfax in Denver. Or El Camino Real in the Bay, but not as nice.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/163260

The interesting Everett station is:

https://www.plugshare.com/location/163287

Which is right off I-5.

Or just to the North,

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186859

Or to the South.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186862

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Everett #1, WA

... a needed expansion of I-5 coverage, with more on the way.

This Everett station will be mostly useful for non-I-5 traffic, such as taking the ferry to Clinton or Paine field. Getting off I-5 and onto 99 isn't suggested.
Kinda like Colfax in Denver. Or El Camino Real in the Bay, but not as nice.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/163260

The interesting Everett station is:

https://www.plugshare.com/location/163287

Which is right off I-5.

Or just to the North,

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186859

Or to the South.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186862
Yup, I was a bit unsure just how to describe this particular station, given that it will be surrounded by others (esp. the other one also on 99 but right off the exit), so decided to number it. I note that it's what appears to be the standard EA ''Urban" station going forward, i.e. 2 CCS/1 CHAdeMO/1 L2 rather than a "Freeway" station like Patterson with 3 or more CCS/1 CHAdeMO/no L2.

Back