Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IEVS:
2020 Kia Soul EV Charges Into LA With Massive 64-kWh Battery
https://insideevs.com/2020-kia-soul-ev-debut-la/

. . . Considering that the current Soul EV, with its 30-kWh battery pack, is EPA-rated at 111 miles, we figure this 2020 Soul EV, with 64-kWh on board, will travel close to 240 miles per charge, maybe even more. Sadly, since its Kia, this will be a limited offering in the U.S., so availability will be an issue.

The 2020 Kia Soul EV is set to utilize a 201 horsepower electric motor, delivering 291 lb-ft of torque. However, the new battery is currently being tested to ascertain precise EPA-estimated range. Results are expected early in 2019 and will be announced at a later date. . . .

One of the most impressive features of the new Soul EV is the new state-of-the-art liquid-cooled lithium ion polymer 64 kWh battery. According to Kia, it will allow owners much less need for daily charging, and with Combined Charging System (CCS) DC fast-charging as standard, charges should be brief so road trip fun can happily continue after only a short break.

The 2020 Kia Soul EV will come with Four drive modes – Eco, Comfort, Sport and Eco+ – that automatically adjusts power output to the traction motor, regenerative braking, air conditioning and heating settings, and set speed limits to help manage operating efficiency depending on driving conditions. Furthermore, smart regenerative braking operated via paddle shifters is also available. This will help drivers to slow the car with the electric motors, allowing less brake pad wear and helping to recapture kinetic energy, adding extra range. Three regenerative braking levels will be offered, depending on the desired driving smoothness and personal preferences, resulting in more enjoyment and improved efficiency.

However, one of the most interesting items on the 2020 Kia Soul EV is the Smart Eco Pedal Guide display on the instrument cluster. In a nutshell, the system keeps the driver aware of real-time battery usage based on accelerator pedal input. In turn, this allows every driver to fine tune their driving habits, allowing for longer range, better energy consumption and in the end, a more eco-friendly and cheaper motoring. That, alongside a big list of safety features, dubbed the “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems, makes sure the driver and passengers can enjoy a safe drive.

In a nutshell, the 2020 Kia Soul arrives with more technology, available advanced driver assistance systems, increased cargo room and a more fun feeling behind the wheel.
Seems like they're going to offer everything you can get on the Niro, including the big battery. I've always liked the Soul, and now I have two decent choices from Kia. The article includes the press release which lists all the available equipment, but I'm getting SQL errors so can't quote them.

Color me shocked. In a good way. I was certain that the Soul would share the smaller 39kWH battery with the Niro. Looks like the 2020 Soul is going to be quite the solid EV.

I stopped in the Kia dealership which happens to be right next to the Nissan dealership where I was charging, and the people there didn't know anything about the Soul EV. They only knew it existed and they dismissed it as something they would even sell. I was really disappointed and angry, because my husband loved his Soul but it was totaled about a month back. He has a Sportage now, but I could see him going back to the Soul in the future and he likes my Leaf so the Soul EV would be a no brainer. I had figured that by the time we both needed new cars that the EV technology, infrastructure, etc would make EVs cheaper and more viable for our whole house to convert to. If we really needed an ICE car at that point, we could just rent one for whatever trip we needed it for. I'll have to find a Kia dealership that actually knows something, because I really want to check one out at some point.

The new Soul switches to CCS for the 2020 model year. So that just leaves the Leaf and Outlander PHEV with CHAdeMO in North America, right?

GetOffYourGas said:
That's a real shame because coming from Somerset, you have lots of DCQC around you for real travel in almost any direction (except I-80 west for now).

Seriously. I was so excited when I found out about the Soul EV. My husband and I both got older cars, because needed to replace them at the same time and just couldn't afford newer. It's going to move up the time table for replacement. I really wanted to check it out, because he loved his original Soul so much. We already have the beginning infrastructure and the county really wants to push EVs. They're already committed to buying EVs to replace older ICE vehicles in county fleet and they're planning on building at least one charging station nearby in Somerville. I figured by the time we were getting serious about buying that there would be even more charging options available and the batteries would be better too.

mtndrew1 said:
The new Soul switches to CCS for the 2020 model year. So that just leaves the Leaf and Outlander PHEV with CHAdeMO in North America, right?

Really? That's not great. I suppose it would be easier to have one port for all types of charging, but I'm wary of how well it actually works. It's one of those things I would have to look into. I liked that the Soul EV pretty much had the same type of charging as the Leaf. I already know where all the DCQC are around me for the Leaf. A different charge port would mean having to remember what charging locations work for each car. I know it's easy to just look it up on an app on your phone or just use the built in map function on the car, but I tend not to use either of those when I'm on the road. I'm a little old school in that I look at a map before I leave and memorize where I need to go (and alternate routes).

kuroneko said:
Really? That's not great. I suppose it would be easier to have one port for all types of charging, but I'm wary of how well it actually works. It's one of those things I would have to look into. I liked that the Soul EV pretty much had the same type of charging as the Leaf. I already know where all the DCQC are around me for the Leaf. A different charge port would mean having to remember what charging locations work for each car. I know it's easy to just look it up on an app on your phone or just use the built in map function on the car, but I tend not to use either of those when I'm on the road. I'm a little old school in that I look at a map before I leave and memorize where I need to go (and alternate routes).

The good news here is that most chargers in the northeast support both CHAdeMO and CCS. So it's not about remembering the right charger locations so much as grabbing the right connector when you get there. Kind of like pulling into the gas station and grabbing the gasoline hose instead of the diesel hose.

GetOffYourGas said:
The good news here is that most chargers in the northeast support both CHAdeMO and CCS. So it's not about remembering the right charger locations so much as grabbing the right connector when you get there. Kind of like pulling into the gas station and grabbing the gasoline hose instead of the diesel hose.

At least you're less likely to put the wrong stuff in your car? There are one or two that are just the one type and not the other, but I'll look into if it comes to that. It is nice to know that most stations will supply both for the time being. I am concerned that they will phase out CHAdeMO in the US if most companies switch over to CCS.

CHAdeMO:

Nissan Leaf
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

CCS:

Audi eTron
BMW i3
Chevrolet Bolt
Ford Focus EV
Honda Clarity
Hyundai Ioniq
Hyundai Kona
Jaguar I-Pace
Kia Niro
Kia Soul
Mercedes Benz EQC
Porsche Taycan
Rivian R1
VW eGolf

Tesla is migrating to CCS for supercharging in EU and Australian markets (maybe Korean market too?) and most of the Electrify America network will be CCS.

Sure seems like the death knell for CHAdeMO outside of Japan.

-
T esla is migrating to CCS2 in Europe. This is not the same as CCS1 in the US and Korea.
In Korea T esla is migrating away from the European Mennekes compatible nozzle to the US proprietary system.

Chademo has the advantage that it is the same everywhere.

The new S oul EV will be CCS1 in the US and Korea.
The new S oul EV will be CCS2 in Europe.

Here are pictures showing the difference on the new N iro EV
CCS1 in the US via AlexonAutos

CCS2 in Europe via FullyCharged

IEVS:
Canadian Pricing Revealed For Kia Soul EV & Niro EV
https://insideevs.com/canadian-price-kia-soul-ev-niro-ev/

The presentation is a little chaotic, but it includes the prices, which is the most interesting part:

Kia Soul EV (e-Soul) – $42,595 CAD ($31,852 USD)
Kia Niro EV (e-Niro) – $44,995 CAD ($33,647 USD)

*both with 64 kWh battery and 150 kW electric motor
If those prices directly translate to the U.S., they'll be flying out the doors. Of course, that assumes that the dealers don't add $5k+ markups.

All-New 2020 Kia Soul EV Delayed In U.S. Until 2020
https://insideevs.com/news/348785/redesigned-2020-kia-soul-ev-delayed/

Glad I didn't bother waiting around for this. It wasn't on my radar anyway.

cwerdna said:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1125576_official-kia-soul-ev-delayed-until-2021
Kia confirmed Thursday that its next-generation all-electric Soul EV won't arrive for the 2020 model year, but instead will be delayed until 2021.

Kia spokesman Neil Dunlop confirmed the news to Green Car Reports. Dunlop said the delay was due to limited battery supply and electric motor shortages. Dunlop said the Soul EV is slated to arrive sometime in 2021 at the earliest, although that may change.

The newest Soul EV was slated to arrive around spring 2019 and improve on the 111-mile range of the last generation, which was discontinued after the 2019 model year.

cwerdna said:

Done so because they can. We need to revamp the EV tax code. Instead of an allotment per manufacturer, it should be total sales. Put it at a million for all qualifying plugs. This brings Chevy and Tesla back to level ground.

Convert it into a POP credit and the manufacturer can file for the credit. Its already done on leases anyway or at the very least; allow it to rollover.

This rewards the early entrants in the EV field, removes market advantages for the laggards that sat on their hands waiting for others to develop the technology and will no doubt move the US market up on the production calendar.

Back