webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 am

On with model 3...

How does everyone feel about VW's ID3 impact on the Model 3? I've always thought that Tesla and VW have overlapping markets, which makes VW the biggest threat to Tesla.

Of course, we'll have to see if VW actually delivers, but for the sake of the overall market, I'm hopeful they will. I would definitely be interested in a VW styled hatchback with ~200 miles of range and the full tax credit at ~ $33K. Well see what actually happens in 2020 though.

Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 am

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:but I earned my degree, and I won't have a non-engineer tell me how I'm supposed to do my work.
Do what work here? Are you troll engineer? or brown-nose engineer? Why not to go to Walmart and meet up with many sales engineers at the registers, say hello to the door engineer, have some chat with customer support engineer, shelf restocking engineer and floor wiping engineer, you can visit restroom engineer office just in case and have a good time? Musk engineer fits those profiles perfectly, so is anybody else even without any degree in anything. Since when being successful entrepreneur/businessman was so shameful, so they need to call themselves something else? Not being engineer does not preclude anyone from being successful with other things in life. Real engineers are the most thought after "import" in the US, as there is nothing good produced domestically, but ones who specialize in attending parties and drinking beer, not learning anything while in college, "drop mic".
Last edited by Leaf15 on Fri May 10, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Fri May 10, 2019 5:54 am

webb14leafs wrote:On with model 3...

How does everyone feel about VW's ID3 impact on the Model 3? I've always thought that Tesla and VW have overlapping markets, which makes VW the biggest threat to Tesla.

Of course, we'll have to see if VW actually delivers, but for the sake of the overall market, I'm hopeful they will. I would definitely be interested in a VW styled hatchback with ~200 miles of range and the full tax credit at ~ $33K. Well see what actually happens in 2020 though.
It feels really good! 10,000 more chose to buy other EV car in one day and more to come. Competition is good! And it is hatch, will sell very well. Hopefully VW will produce 200,000 a year as planned and satisfy all EV market demands. If they make it - they would become a major player in EV market with affordable EVs for folks to buy.
Last edited by Leaf15 on Fri May 10, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Fri May 10, 2019 6:39 am

There might be some overlap, but leaf/bolt/i3 sales would be impacted first. Only sales to folks who were on the border between long-distance driving and hatchbacks would be affected. As more people become comfortable with EV's, the pool of buyers grow. There are still videos being made of people who just realized that range anxiety is just a phobia.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
100% Zero transportation emissions (except when I walk) and loving it!

Zythryn

Fri May 10, 2019 7:25 am

Competition is a good thing!
It is also not a zero sum game. The more choices available the faster the EV market will grow.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

webb14leafs

Fri May 10, 2019 8:17 am

Zythryn wrote:

It is also not a zero sum game. The more choices available the faster the EV market will grow.
Agreed. I'm thinking more about a threat to being the market brand leader.

Zythryn

Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

webb14leafs wrote:
Zythryn wrote:
That is a very interesting question!
If VW goes 'all in' I could see them being the EV brand leader in a 3-5 years.
However, I don't see them doing that. Any of the big guys could have been the EV brand leader fairly easily 6 years ago or so. At that time, it was just Nissan, GM and Tesla.
GM never pushed it and Nissan seemed to have some trouble going "all in", although they did better than any other established manufacturer.

For VW to take over the EV market, they need to get their dealers on board, build in quantity, and make compelling cars.
I believe they are capable of all the above, I just don't know if they have their heart in it. The next few years should tell us a lot.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

SanCarlosJeff
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 302391

Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 am

Leaf15 wrote:

It feels really good! 10,000 more chose to buy other EV car in one day and more to come. Competition is good! And it is hatch, will sell very well. Hopefully VW will produce 200,000 a year as planned. If they make it - they would become a major player in EV market with affordable EVs for folks to buy.
Unfortunately the ID.3 isn't planned on being sold in the US. Since all we seem to buy is "crossovers" and SUVs VW is going to wait and sell the Crozz in the US market.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2740 ... confirmed/
-Jeff
Prius: 2005-2012
Volt: 2012-2018
Leaf:2018-??

webb14leafs

Mon May 13, 2019 5:07 am

Zythryn wrote:
webb14leafs wrote:
Zythryn wrote:
That is a very interesting question!
If VW goes 'all in' I could see them being the EV brand leader in a 3-5 years.
However, I don't see them doing that.
You might be right, but remember that demand in several parts of Europe is much bigger than in the US. Everything is lined up for mass adoption.

Extremely High gas prices.

Government incentives for both purchasing and charging electric vehicles.

Short-ish commutes, and lack of freeways result in less range anxiety.

webb14leafs

Mon May 13, 2019 5:08 am

SanCarlosJeff wrote:
Leaf15 wrote:

It feels really good! 10,000 more chose to buy other EV car in one day and more to come. Competition is good! And it is hatch, will sell very well. Hopefully VW will produce 200,000 a year as planned. If they make it - they would become a major player in EV market with affordable EVs for folks to buy.
Unfortunately the ID.3 isn't planned on being sold in the US. Since all we seem to buy is "crossovers" and SUVs VW is going to wait and sell the Crozz in the US market.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2740 ... confirmed/
Bummer. I'd much rather have a hatchback than a crossover that just looks like a ballooned compact sedan.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”