From truck to leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DustanT said:
Well that was fun lol, had to stop and charge for 3 hours total. But found a great place to eat. Made it home with 5% charge. It was 32° so a bit cold. Screen says avg was 3.4 mile/kwh

That's pretty good consumption. Going at your targeted 65mph or a little lower? Considering you consumed 61kwh for the trip, you left the dealership with a 90% charge?

Anyway, that's all irrelevant. Congrats! And I hope you get bitten strongly by the EV bug! Enough to want to convert everything to electric. :p

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:
Well that was fun lol, had to stop and charge for 3 hours total. But found a great place to eat. Made it home with 5% charge. It was 32° so a bit cold. Screen says avg was 3.4 mile/kwh

That's pretty good consumption. Going at your targeted 65mph or a little lower? Considering you consumed 61kwh for the trip, you left the dealership with a 90% charge?

Anyway, that's all irrelevant. Congrats! And I hope you get bitten strongly by the EV bug! Enough to want to convert everything to electric. :p

I did 44 miles at 65mph and stopped at a charge point station and charged for 2h 45m. Left and drove 60mph for 40 miles and stopped at a Chevy dealer for half hour then drove 55mph the rest of the way. I left with around 96%.
I've been wanting an EV for years since the Tesla roadster first came out. Our fleet will include my leaf and hopping we can get the Tesla model Y next year. We will have a paid for old beater pickup for hauling tho.
Thank for everyone's help with my buying experience it was very helpful :D

So on the leafspy pro under settings scroll down to service screen, its 5 spaces down and click to enable. go back and you get a new screen and under VSP settings you can turn it all off. No more beeping.

DustanT said:
So on the leafspy pro under settings scroll down to service screen, its 5 spaces down and click to enable. go back and you get a new screen and under VSP settings you can turn it all off. No more beeping.

oh! Nice! Thanks for sharing that tip!

DustanT said:
Is this a good evse?

https://www.ebay.com/i/253247820813?chn=ps

Do you want to charge at 3.8kW? That isn't terrible but your car supports 6.6kW charging with the proper EVSE.

Do you have a receptacle that will fit that plug or at least a 240V/20A dedicated circuit available?

That EVSE is probably fine but if you see yourself having an EV for a long time you might want to get something with more capacity. 3.8kW will take a long time to charge the 62kWh battery in today's Leaf Plus. Going forward I think battery capacity will only increase and that 3.8kW charger will become less useful that a more powerful one.

I just bought an OpenEVSE unit that I'm planning to install in my garage. It is more expensive but supports 9.6kW charging and has lots of options for timers and amount of charge to add, etc to make keeping the SOC in a desired range much easier.

goldbrick said:
DustanT said:
Is this a good evse?

https://www.ebay.com/i/253247820813?chn=ps

Do you want to charge at 3.8kW? That isn't terrible but your car supports 6.6kW charging with the proper EVSE.

Do you have a receptacle that will fit that plug or at least a 240V/20A dedicated circuit available?

That EVSE is probably fine but if you see yourself having an EV for a long time you might want to get something with more capacity. 3.8kW will take a long time to charge the 62kWh battery in today's Leaf Plus. Going forward I think battery capacity will only increase and that 3.8kW charger will become less useful that a more powerful one.

I just bought an OpenEVSE unit that I'm planning to install in my garage. It is more expensive but supports 9.6kW charging and has lots of options for timers and amount of charge to add, etc to make keeping the SOC in a desired range much easier.

I have my 6.6kw one already, came with the car but wanted one I could carry around and use if needed. My 6.6kw is at work and just wanted a smaller one in the garage. I'm moving soon and don't want to run 200' of 6/3 to the garage if only to use it for a few months. Next house will be wired for multiple EVSE's. My leaf and the wife's Tesla. My garage can handle the 240v 16a now. For me I'll be doing my large charging at work. Right now its chugging along at 6.6kw at our storage garage here at work. If I turn the leaf in after the 3 years and decide to upgrade I can make the choice to get a bigger EVSE then.

My current setup is this. I have a 14-50 50 amp on my house next to the meter, I also have the same setup at work. I have a 20 amp 240 in the garage I'm looking to use if needed.

DustanT said:
I have a 20 amp 240 in the garage I'm looking to use if needed.

The Duosida is probably a perfect fit then. I don't know much about the reliability of the brand but I don't remember hearing anything bad about them.

240V/20A receptacles aren't that common in my experience so you might not be able to find a suitable plug in a pinch but for your garage it should be perfect.

The Duosida EVSE is good inexpensive option if you don't have the wiring to support a 32 A EVSE. My garage has a 30 A service so I ran a 20 A, 240 V plug and it works great so far. 3.8 kW is obviously slower than 6.6, but it can still charge my 30 kWh car overnight, and could get a nearly dead 60 kWh car close to 100% by morning if you plugged it in in the late afternoon. It will also work at 120 V, but I believe that it will still try to deliver 16 A and thus overload a standard 15 A circuit if you try to use it as a portable level 1.

Titanium48 said:
The Duosida EVSE is good inexpensive option if you don't have the wiring to support a 32 A EVSE. My garage has a 30 A service so I ran a 20 A, 240 V plug and it works great so far. 3.8 kW is obviously slower than 6.6, but it can still charge my 30 kWh car overnight, and could get a nearly dead 60 kWh car close to 100% by morning if you plugged it in in the late afternoon. It will also work at 120 V, but I believe that it will still try to deliver 16 A and thus overload a standard 15 A circuit if you try to use it as a portable level 1.

Thanks, I'm just driving and observing usage and charge times trying to get a mental understanding of everything. Today I charged at work and it toped off 30 minutes before I left. At 100% I drove home like normal doing 75mph on the freeway and arrived home with 76%, I had the butt warmer on and heat to 74. Yeah it's still snowing in Michigan. I'm trying the timers now so in the morning I'll see how they work. So far I'm loving the car!

At 100% I drove home like normal doing 75mph on the freeway and arrived home with 76%, I had the butt warmer on and heat to 74. Yeah it's still snowing in Michigan. I'm trying the timers now so in the morning I'll see how they work. So far I'm loving the car!

Now many miles was that? You can probably thank the heat pump for the range.

LeftieBiker said:
At 100% I drove home like normal doing 75mph on the freeway and arrived home with 76%, I had the butt warmer on and heat to 74. Yeah it's still snowing in Michigan. I'm trying the timers now so in the morning I'll see how they work. So far I'm loving the car!

Now many miles was that? You can probably thank the heat pump for the range.

33 miles, set heat to 74° and seat warmer on low.

First week with the car is over. Why I didn't get one sooner I don't know. Surprised how smooth, quick, and quite it is. Already put 1200 miles on it. Currently averaging 3.6 mile/kwh.

DustanT said:
First week with the car is over. Why I didn't get one sooner I don't know. Surprised how smooth, quick, and quite it is. Already put 1200 miles on it. Currently averaging 3.6 mile/kwh.

Right?!?! This is what everyone comes to realize. The whole range anxiety thing is only for people who haven't lived with it before. Now you have to spread the lessons learned, as it usually takes someone with first-hand experience to convince others that it's doable.

1200 miles in a week?!?! That looks like too many zeros! At that rate, you'd drive 60,000 miles a year?!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:

Right?!?! This is what everyone comes to realize. The whole range anxiety thing is only for people who haven't lived with it before. Now you have to spread the lessons learned, as it usually takes someone with first-hand experience to convince others that it's doable.

1200 miles in a week?!?! That looks like too many zeros! At that rate, you'd drive 60,000 miles a year?!

The range is plenty really, for what I drive normally. You do what you need to come home plug it in walk away boom done. I have learned how long it takes on 120v and 240v. So guessing how much charge it will have is pretty easy. Like right now it is charging off 120v so by 10am it will be full and off to take a day trip and test out some public charging.

No that was 1200! I had a ton of stuff to do this week, lots of side jobs and runs to town for things. Yeah I drive a ton!

My leaf is my truck.
Last big tow job I pulled home a pallet of 295w panels, weighed about 1,600lb.
Glad they weren't 3 feet up off the ground in the back of a pickup bed.

Plus my trailer has 17 tie down points.
I think most pickups have about 0 to 4 tie down points.

Oilpan4 said:
My leaf is my truck.
Last big tow job I pulled home a pallet of 295w panels, weighed about 1,600lb.
Glad they weren't 3 feet up off the ground in the back of a pickup bed.

Plus my trailer has 17 tie down points.
I think most pickups have about 0 to 4 tie down points.

Awesome! Pictures or it didn't happen! ;-)

Actually, would you be able to share any details? hitch-size? vendor? trailer-size? what kind of watt-hour consumption pulling how much load at what speeds?

Back