Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CWO4Mann said:
Jerry, some things to check, but first charge your 12 volt battery ( external charger positive - red - clipped to positive -red - terminal of the battery. Negative -black- attached to the large ground post directly underneath the top & back of engine compartment. If in doubt, look at other posts here on how to correctly charge the 12 volt battery. Next, make sure your code reader dongle is not plugged into the OBDII port under the dash. If it left on, it will drain the 12 volt battery. Then after charging the 12 volt battery fully and correctly, Remove the 12 volt battery charger, removing the negative clip first, then the positive side. Then plug your car into the main battery charging port, located under the front flap. What for blue lights to come on, showing charging in progress. Make sure that your charging timer is set to off (do that via the touch screen). Turn off "Telematics" as it is a POS and will keep trying to "phone home" until it kills your 12 volt battery.

HTH, YMMV

Dave

Thank you for the advice. Are "Telematics" a feature of Leaf Spy Pro or something in the Leaf?

DaveinOlyWA said:
jerry62712 said:
The lights all come on except the charge one. None of the blue lights on the car come one. I suspect this is related to the above changing of things via the LEAF Spy.

First off, we need to realize the two events may be unrelated. Did you get the telematics fix? There is an update addressing undue 12 volt stress.

2nd off; there is no need to unplug your OBD device. In LS settings make sure BT is turned off when exiting LS. ALWAYS exit LS when not in use.

Is "LS" in Leaf Spy Pro?

LS is LEAF Spy. There are different versions but Pro is cheap

Telematics is equipment used by car to communicate thru cellular network for Connect

Hello everyone, and thank you Turbo3 for creating Leaf Spy Pro. It's a great tool that really shines light!

I have an urgent question regarding battery health. My 2014 Leaf has about 57000 miles and my warranty is set to expire mid-May. The range on my battery has degraded a lot to point where I can't reliably make the 54 mile round trip to work on a full charge. The dash battery health gauge just dropped it's 3rd bar 2 weeks ago, yet Spy Pro says SOH = 71.2%, full charge KWh = 15.5 and SOC = 95.1%. I'm a little confused by these numbers given it only just dropped the 3rd bar.

Related to this might be an issue with the odometer. Since the day I bought the vehicle it has been 5% high on both the odometer and the speedometer. I've had this checked out by the dealer on multiple occasions and never got a resolution. Then about 2 weeks ago, right around the time the 3rd bar dropped, the odometer started reporting the correct range, as compared to google maps and other GPS navigation tools. The speedometer is still 5% over. A few days before this change to the odometer occurred (I'm an engineer at heart and I watch these things all the time, it's my nature) I had the car at a dealer to investigate the range problem. I don't know if they made any adjustments to the odometer, but to be very clear, I'm not trying to imply any wrong doing. I just want to understand whether or not my battery ought to qualify for warranty replacement, or whether Nissan has shown any good will for a situation like mine that appears to be on the borderline.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm debating whether to purchase a new 2019 Leaf ePlus later this year but my experience so far is a concern.

Joe

Hello everyone, I recently got LeafSpy Pro and a WIFI OBDII adapter for a 2013 Nissan Leaf.
I followed the sequence: plug in adapter, switch on the car to Ready position, open LeafSpy.
Tried a few times when the car was parked, and LeafSpy shows 0% SOH and 0 odo (other information like temperature and cell voltage are updating.)

Did I miss something or is SOH only shown when the car is moving? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

guojl12345 said:
Hello everyone, I recently got LeafSpy Pro and a WIFI OBDII adapter for a 2013 Nissan Leaf.
I followed the sequence: plug in adapter, switch on the car to Ready position, open LeafSpy.
Tried a few times when the car was parked, and LeafSpy shows 0% SOH and 0 odo (other information like temperature and cell voltage are updating.)

Did I miss something or is SOH only shown when the car is moving? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

That is usually what happens in accessory mode

Thanks very much Dave. Feeling relieved now. Was worried about the compatibility of the adapter with the app.

DaveinOlyWA said:
guojl12345 said:

That is usually what happens in accessory mode

If you are not putting your foot on the brake when you start the car, that puts you into Accessory mode instead of Ready mode. You have to press the brake pedal with the Start button as you normally would when preparing to drive the car away.

GerryAZ said:
I am starting to consider a new Leaf Plus. What functions of Leaf Spy Pro are supported with the 2019 models?

I don't know anything specific other than I have seen a handful of LEAF Spy screen shots from the plus so have to say its likely most of them work. Realize that the 40 kwh lost a few functions but that was "somewhat" expected as a LEAF Tech did advise that Nissan starting locking down part of the CANBUS due to issues with readers on other models.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GerryAZ said:
I am starting to consider a new Leaf Plus. What functions of Leaf Spy Pro are supported with the 2019 models?

I don't know anything specific other than I have seen a handful of LEAF Spy screen shots from the plus so have to say its likely most of them work. Realize that the 40 kwh lost a few functions but that was "somewhat" expected as a LEAF Tech did advise that Nissan starting locking down part of the CANBUS due to issues with readers on other models.

Where're those screenshots posted?

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GerryAZ said:

Mostly on Facebook but IIRC, there was also 1-2 on Speak EV?

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks. Hopefully some will get posted on MNL, especially some that show temp after a QC of 30 or more minutes.

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:

Thanks. Hopefully some will get posted on MNL, especially some that show temp after a QC of 30 or more minutes.

Yesterday, a Plus driver reported 2nd QC at low SOC only topped out at 25 KW. No mention of location so unable to determine station speed.

Which brings me to the question; Several have reported only "early" 2018's have the RapidGate SW and that was updated for latter LEAFs from the factory. If so, when did this happen? I was under impression that none of the NA LEAFs had the updated version?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/2663016597102498/

DaveinOlyWA said:
Which brings me to the question; Several have reported only "early" 2018's have the RapidGate SW and that was updated for latter LEAFs from the factory. If so, when did this happen? I was under impression that none of the NA LEAFs had the updated version?

How would you suggest determining whether the BMS firmware was updated for "RapidGate" in the 40 kWh Leafs for 2019 deliveries?

First QC on 2019 40 kWh (via LeafSpy):

Data - ambient - 70F, initial SOC 24%, initial bat. temp - 75F, final temp 100F, final SOC 70%, charge time 30 min
Results - added capacity - 46% (18.4 kWh), average charge power - 36.8 kW (average charge current ~ 100A)

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

How would you suggest determining whether the BMS firmware was updated for "RapidGate" in the 40 kWh Leafs for 2019 deliveries?

First QC on 2019 40 kWh (via LeafSpy):

Data - ambient - 70F, initial SOC 24%, initial bat. temp - 75F, final temp 100F, final SOC 70%, charge time 30 min
Results - added capacity - 46% (18.4 kWh), average charge power - 36.8 kW (average charge current ~ 100A)

For those who got the update, their firmware version changed from "A" to "C"

As far as determining if you are suffering from RapidGate which starts when you have 7 temperature bars (one tick past the middle) simply look at the charging screen on start of the charge. Assuming your SOC is low (below 50%) you should see max current. Depending on station speed if 50 kw station max current is about 125 amps, you will see charging speed from 42-43 KW.

Using 30 min as a guide is not a good idea because it HIGHLY dependant on your starting SOC

DaveinOlyWA said:

How did you access the firmware version?

DaveinOlyWA said:
As far as determining if you are suffering from RapidGate which starts when you have 7 temperature bars (one tick past the middle) simply look at the charging screen on start of the charge.

What are the actual temp readings, not just the Mickey Mouse temp bars? As I mentioned before, my 2013 battery temp never went
above 95F after a QC. The first 30 minute QC with the 2019 resulted in 100F. Given that, can imagine what multiple QCs on a hot day
would do to the 2019 battery temp (not good). Nissan may allow moderately high battery temps while QCing to pacify owners
even to the detriment of battery longevity, but without having warranty claims. Have any actual 2018 battery temps been noted
after multiple QCs based on ambients?

Turbo3 had indicated that Pro would have the ability to calculate battery resistance similar to TM-Spy & LeafDD. Can't find it either
noted in the manual nor the app itself. I would like to determine the battery resistance of the 2019 40kWh, and compare to my 2013.
Have I missed it during my search?

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

How did you access the firmware version?

DaveinOlyWA said:
As far as determining if you are suffering from RapidGate which starts when you have 7 temperature bars (one tick past the middle) simply look at the charging screen on start of the charge.

What are the actual temp readings, not just the Mickey Mouse temp bars? As I mentioned before, my 2013 battery temp never went
above 95F after a QC. The first 30 minute QC with the 2019 resulted in 100F. Given that, can imagine what multiple QCs on a hot day
would do to the 2019 battery temp (not good). Nissan may allow moderately high battery temps while QCing to pacify owners
even to the detriment of battery longevity, but without having warranty claims. Have any actual 2018 battery temps been noted
after multiple QCs based on ambients?

24 kwh charging profile was rather pathetic with knee in the 40's % SOC which is the reason they didn't heat up much.

Using the highest reading only in Fº;

6 bars (half way) 78.3 - 95.8

The low end has no throttling, the upper end is where it starts. It would appear the optimum charge temp would be the middle. Realize colder temps still see max charge rate but an earlier knee (the point when max current starts to drop)

You can see versions in LEAF Spy Pro.

DaveinOlyWA said:
You can see versions in LEAF Spy Pro.

Have that version;
What's new in version 0.45.119
No mention of determining battery resistance.

Remember, you did a test to determine the battery resistance of your 40 kWh last year, and the value wasn't much different
than my 24 kWh 2013. It should have been about 60% (24/40) of the 2013. That indicates that with increasing capacity,
more cells in parallel, the chemistry is such that the battery resistance is basically remaining the same. The test really
needs to be done using an app and not just monitoring the QC data at the initial charge beginning. With the larger Leaf
batteries and more lengthy QC times, battery resistance (heat) becoming more critical.

We'll have to wait for Turbo3 to respond.

Back