Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't belabor the Chademo/CCS discussion any longer on this thread. Just making the point that more vehicles of both adapter types are hitting the road every month in both the US and Europe.

Qiantu (Chinese brand) has announced that they are bringing a Sports car to the US and will be using Chademo for the adapter type. Admittedly likely small volumes to start.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have sent in comments to EA asking for at least 2 Chademo connectors. I am hoping that that heavy Leaf/Mitsubishi usage will push economics to have them offer 2 or 3 connectors.
EA's the wrong entity to send such requests to. They are only putting in 1 CHAdeMO at a site because they were required to, but they have no incentive to expand that. You need to send your comments to the government agencies involved in the settlement, if you want to see any changes.

One site has opened, #18 for the month and #174 total: Columbia, SC (I-26, btwn. Jcts. with I-20 and U.S. 176). This site is reachable from Florence and Walterboro, SC, but also Asheville, NC and Commerce, GA. The latter two are possible, but a bit beyond the practical range.

Tomah, WI (Jct. I-94/U.S. 12, a bit north of the I-90/94 Jct.) is open, #19 for the month and #175 total.

Tomah makes travel between Chicago and the Twin Cities possible, albeit not yet practical owing to the 163 mile leg between Rockford and Tomah (it's only 75 miles from Tomah to the Eau Claire QC, then another 98 to Minneapolis). Madison is "Coming soon" and will solve the problem.

Bristol, VA (I-81, nr. U.S. 11/19) is open, #20 for the month and #176 total.

Bristol was much needed, as it shortens the I-81 leg between Knoxville and Wytheville from a possible 191 miles to two practical legs of 126 and 65 miles. Asheville is also practical (94 or 102 miles depending on which interstate route you use), and Williamsburg KY is possible at 158 miles.

Two sites have opened, making 24 for the month, 180 total: Sherwood, OR (SW of Portland, off S.R. 99W, 5 mi. W. of Jct. I-5/205); Madison, WI (nr, Jct. U.S. 51/S.R. 30, w. of Jct. I-90/94/S.R. 30).

As previously noted, Madison makes the Chicago/Twin Cities route via Rockford practical, year-round. Sherwood is an urban QC, but will serve those people coming up I-5 who will turn off I-5 before reaching Vancouver, WA.

San Antonio station opened recently (I didn't see that one listed on this thread - sorry if I missed it)- 1 CHAdeMO and plenty of CCS. This is the first public DC quick charge in our city. My 2011 LEAF got its first DC charge yesterday after waiting 8 years!

GRA said:
Two sites have opened, making 24 for the month, 180 total: Sherwood, OR (SW of Portland, off S.R. 99W, 5 mi. W. of Jct. I-5/205); Madison, WI (nr, Jct. U.S. 51/S.R. 30, w. of Jct. I-90/94/S.R. 30).

That Sherwood charger is one I have been watching, and is possibly the only EA charger I am likely to use very much. It's at a good distance from Seattle to the Oregon coast for a dinner break, and there are some restaurants nearby that my kids like.

Guy,

Two sites under construction on US 395 on the East Side of the Sierra Nevada. Put up on Plugshare by Geo: Coso Junction and Bishop.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/190894
https://www.plugshare.com/location/186193

The site in Bakersfield will be delayed for several weeks if not more.

Paul

Paul, make it three, Bridgeport too: https://www.plugshare.com/location/191333

I still want Lee Vining, but at least the cheapskate's route from the Bay Area across the Sierra via 108 (Sonora Pass) to 395 then down the east side will be available, avoiding the Yosemite entrance fee of $35 (or $70 for an annual pass) for an extra 35 miles or so of driving. Olancha (Coso Junction) is better than Lone Pine for people heading to Death Valley from SoCal, albeit not as good for those coming south from SLT/Reno or doing the round trip from Bishop to Whitney Portal and return. But we'll take it! [Edit]: I see you already mentioned Bridgeport in the Sierra East side topic.

Plugshare but not EA is showing Madera and Selma as open, but no check-in is shown, so I don't know hoe they determined that. I won't list them as open until they're "official".

Two sites are open, making 26 for the month, 182 total: Mt. Vernon, WA (I-5, just S. of Jct. S.R. 20); N. Charleston, SC (U.s. 78, 1 mi. E. of I-26).

Mt. Vernon expands I-5 north of Everett, and provides access to N. Cascades NP, Mt. Baker etc.

N. Charleston makes Columbia - Charleston via I-26 easy, and also provides access to/from Walterboro and Florence on I-95.

Stephens city, VA. (I-81 btwn. I-66 and U.S. 50) is open, #27 for the month, #183 total.

This expands I-81 northwards so that it can connect to I-70 at Hagerstown, but the leg from Fincastle needs to be shortened from 151 miles. Staunton willl do that when it is open.

Five sites have opened, making 32 for the month and 188 total: Renton, WA (Jct. I-405/S.R. 900); Grants, NM (Jct. I-40/S.R. 117); Vidor, TX (Jct. I-10/S.R. 12, NE of Beaumont); Hodgkins, IL (JCt. U.S. 45/66, W. of Chicago off I-55, and N. or I-294); Cordele, GA (I-75, between Valdosta and Macon).

Renton and Hodgkins are urban sites with 2 CCS/1 CHAdeMO/1 L2, the others are intended for road trips. Renton also allows Seattle to be bypassed for trips along I-5.

Grants is the first site west of ABQ on I-40, with ABQ, Gallup, Winslow and Flagstaff coming soon. You can also reach Santa Fe (127 miles) and from there, Taos .

Vidor cuts the 137 mile I-10 leg between Houston and Sulphur, LA into two legs of 94 and 45 miles.

Cordele cuts the 168 mile I-75 leg between Forsyth and Valdosta, GA into two legs of 82 and 87 miles.

Four sites opened on 5/30, making 36 for the month and 192 total: Lynnwood, WA (Jct. I-5/405, Urb.); W. Sacramento, CA (I-80. SW of Jct. with I-5); Beaver, UT (Jct. I-15/S.R. 21/153); Port Charlotte, FL (I-75 btwn. Sarasota and Ft. Myers).

Seven! more sites opened today, making 43! for the month and 199 total: Novato, CA (U.S. 101 N.W. of Jct. S.R. 37); Scipio, UT (Jct. I-15/E. U.S. 50); Benson, AZ (Jct. I-10/S.R. 80); Gallup, NM (Jct. I-40/U.S. 491); Van Horn, TX (I-10, W. of Jct. I-10/20); Miami. FL (S.R. 836, W. of S.R. 826); Bridgewater, NJ (Jct. I-287/S.R. 28, Urb.).

Beaver and Scipio make it possible to drive from Las Vegas to SLC, and the leg from Mesquite (145 miles) is just beyond the 140 miles that I consider max. practical range; when the "Coming soon" Washington and/or Cedar City open it will be practical the whole way. From Beaver you can easily do the round trip to Cedar Breaks, and to Kolob Canyons in Zion with care. Zion Canyon is reachable one-way from either Mesquite NV or Beaver, and there are L2s there to allow the round trip. It's also possible to do the round trip from Beaver all the way out to Rainbow Pt. in Bryce Canyon, with extreme care. There are NEMA 14-50s in Bryce at RV parks.

Benson makes it possible to travel from Phoenix to El Paso (dest. charging needed in Phoenix), but infill is needed to shorten some legs. If your last name is Earp, Holliday, Clanton or McLaury, from Benson you can easily make the round trip (assuming you survive) to Tombstone :shock: ; or you can also easily do the round trip to Contention City if you need to catch the 3:10 to Yuma :lol:

Van Horn will eventually link El Paso to sites on both I-10 and I-20. Novato makes it possible to travel further north of S.F. on 101, or easily round trip to Pt. Reyes or Bodega Bay.

Port Charlotte makes it possible to drive from Bushnell to Naples via I-75, but infill in the Tampa-Bradenton area is needed to make it practical. The others are primarily urban sites, but can of course be used for trips.

Lacey, WA (Jct. I-5/S.R. 510) is open, #1 for the month and more significantly, the 200th site opened. For comparison, the 1st site opened May 2nd of last year, and the 100th site opened Feb. 9th, or 9 months, 1 week. The second 100 took 3 months, 3 weeks. It will be interesting to see if EA can maintain or even increase the record pace they set last month.

GRA said:
Lacey, WA (Jct. I-5/S.R. 510) is open, #1 for the month and more significantly, the 200th site opened. For comparison, the 1st site opened May 2nd of last year, and the 100th site opened Feb. 9th, or 9 months, 1 week. The second 100 took 3 months, 3 weeks. It will be interesting to see if EA can maintain or even increase the record pace they set last month.

Lacey Walmart Scoreboard.

Chademo; 1-0 (That would be me of course! :cool: )

CCS ; 0-2 (Bolt and i3)

Note; We have a Tesla Model 3 with a "green" check in. Since there is no level 2 at the site, he either has an adapter no one knows about or isn't completely familiar with how plugshare check ins work.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:

Lacey Walmart Scoreboard.

Chademo; 1-0 (That would be me of course! :cool: )

CCS ; 0-2 (Bolt and i3)

Note; We have a Tesla Model 3 with a "green" check in. Since there is no level 2 at the site, he either has an adapter no one knows about or isn't completely familiar with how plugshare check ins work.

FYI; SR 510 and I-5 run parallel in that area so not quite what I would call a junction.

DaveinOlyWA said:
FYI; SR 510 and I-5 run parallel in that area so not quite what I would call a junction.
Best I could do without having to list a street name. Anyone interested will just check Plugshare or EA's website for the exact address. More importantly, it's now practical to travel the entire I-5 corridor in Oregon and Washington using EA QCs. Or it will be, once they get the CCS bugs sorted out, and there are other charging options available in the meantime.

There are a lot more EA sites to come, but I particularly like Kelso, Yakima and Tacoma, and in Oregon, Hood River (still showing in Rufus, but that site's apparently been abandoned), Salem and Springfield. They could also use one in Biggs (Jct. I-84/U.S. 97).

Back