The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
This might give you some insight.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/05/april-2019-drive-report-now-that-my.html

Could you or someone supplement the instrument cluster images with one displaying the horizontal temperature bar on the 2018.
It appears to be different than the 2019. Thanks

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/05/april-2019-drive-report-now-that-my.html

Could you or someone supplement the instrument cluster images with one displaying the horizontal temperature bar on the 2018.

Not familiar with any changes other than there are several different displays you can toggle thru. TBT; I don't see the need for having the temperature screen up all the time. Its worse than watching paint dry 99% of the time and it takes of 2 seconds to toggle to the screen if you want to look at it.

I generally have trip computer up all the time. The static displays for "most" screens has the mini power meter. If I were to want something on the screen other than what I see on the trip computer, I might want the instantaneous miles/kwh meter?

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Not familiar with any changes other than there are several different displays you can toggle thru. TBT; I don't see the need for having the temperature screen up all the time. Its worse than watching paint dry 99% of the time and it takes of 2 seconds to toggle to the screen if you want to look at it.

I generally have trip computer up all the time. The static displays for "most" screens has the mini power meter. If I were to want something on the screen other than what I see on the trip computer, I might want the instantaneous miles/kwh meter?

Is the 2018 temperature graphic segmented (vertical markings)? The 2019 temperature gauge is just a horizontal gray bar graph with two
red vertical lines at the right, and a short blue bar segment on the left.

Is the 2018 temperature graphic segmented (vertical markings)? The 2019 temperature gauge is just a horizontal gray bar graph with two

You asked this a while ago, and I answered. There are no visible segments, but they are there. 12 bars like the old "gauge" but no dividing lines or marks between them.

LeftieBiker said:

You asked this a while ago, and I answered. There are no visible segments, but they are there. 12 bars like the old "gauge" but no dividing lines or marks between them.

So there're horizontal bars extending upward, versus only one continuous horizontal bar on the 2019? No red markings as the bars extend
upward to indicate excessive heat? So comparative discussions about one's battery temp becomes more subjective with the 2019s.

lorenfb said:
LeftieBiker said:

So there're horizontal bars extending upward, versus only one continuous horizontal bar on the 2019? No red markings as the bars extend
upward to indicate excessive heat? So comparative discussions about one's battery temp becomes more subjective with the 2019s.

The 2018 battery temp... we'll say "graphic"... is a horizontal bar with a red zone on the right. You cannot see the segments in which it moves, but it does move in segments: it will always have its "end" in one of 12 locations along that horizontal plane. It sounds as if the 2019 is exactly the same.

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:

Sorry, correct response, wrong thread.

This should clear things up

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/05/temperature-bars-on-leaf.html

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks. That's excellent for anyone who wants an idea of what the actual temp is relative to the bar graph.
So the first red mark is about 120F+. The mid point is about 85F. The 2019 is the same as the 2018.

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:

Thanks. That's excellent for anyone who wants an idea of what the actual temp is relative to the bar graph.
So the first red mark is about 120F+. The mid point is about 85F. The 2019 is the same as the 2018.

No prob.

To reiterate; the ideal batt temp for QC charge "start" appears to be about 86º F. Start a charge at a lower temp and you will see max charge rate but a lower knee. Knee is the point when amperage starts to drop. In a "50 KW" station (a bit misleading...) the norm is 120-125 amps.

Start at a higher temp and you will see less than full charge (lower amperage) at the start but the knee does move higher. However, the higher knee does not offset the time lost from slower charging speed but does make charging at 105º (about 35 KW) a bit more tolerable. sort of...

DaveinOlyWA said:
charging at 105º (about 35 KW) a bit more tolerable. sort of...

That's about a little less than 2/3 on the temperature bar graph, i.e. the battery is virtually in Tucson, AZ on a cool summer day.
Most all MNL members know what happens to Leaf batteries that are exposed frequently to that temperature.

40 kWh Battery LS Update:

Ahr: 110.9
SOH: 95.45
Hx:113.79
Odo: 7300 mi
QCs: 68
L2:178

Seemed to have dropped an entire SOH pct in the last 30 days with very hot weather (95+ for a week straight). QC once a day or less. Never got to red temp bar though.

jdcbomb said:

Seemed to have dropped an entire SOH pct in the last 30 days with very hot weather (95+ for a week straight). QC once a day or less. Never got to red temp bar though.

Doesn't need to get there to be problematic, even frequent 110-115 F is to be avoided. Get LeafSpy to measure your temps after a QC.

Never got to red temp bar though.

The Red Zone should thought of as the point at which the battery is already cooking and you'd damned well better do something. It's the steaming radiator of battery indications. I consider anything passed the 2/3 point on that silly bar gauge the danger threshold for longevity. Think of it as the "Yellow Zone."

LeftieBiker said:
Never got to red temp bar though.

The Red Zone should thought of as the point at which the battery is already cooking and you'd damned well better do something. It's the steaming radiator of battery indications. I consider anything passed the 2/3 point on that silly bar gauge the danger threshold for longevity. Think of it as the "Yellow Zone."

+1. The red bar is like the idiot lights back in the day. If the light came on, it was already too late

Mine passed the 5000 mile mark yesterday, 10 weeks of ownership.

LS stats:
AHr... 113.65
SOH... 98.45%
Hx... 115.83%
SOC... 99.2% and 498 GID
403.61v, cells balanced between 4.202-4.206v
odo... 5009
5 QC / 147 L2’s

Should add that L2’s are typically done overnight with charge timers set to not fully charge before I leave in the morning. The car rarely sits on full charge and have yet to reach LBW.

Here is a LS update on my 40 kWh SV. I seem to have lost almost 2% SOH in 10 days with no QC's, L2 charging mostly between 25%-65%, sometimes to 80%, and only once to 100% (right before my first ever 400-mile, one-overnight round trip drive in this car, on which I will report back in a later post). Should I be concerned? An actual 2% drop in capacity in only 10 days doesn't really seem possible, and I know LS's SOH can be off by as much as 3%. I'm hoping the real state of health of the battery is over 99%, because a 97.4% SOH on a one month old car with just over 1,000 miles is not good.

Purchase date: 4/30/19. Build date: 02/2019.

First Leaf Spy reading: 5/15/19

Odometer: 664 miles
AHr: 114.9
SOH: 99.35%
Hx: 101.31%
GIDS: 196
SOC: 38.8% (the dash SOC says 30%)
Remain: 15.2 kWh

Second Leaf Spy reading: 5/25/19

Odometer: 1144 miles
AHr: 112.44
SOH: 97.40%
Hx: 105.68%
GIDS: 490
SOC: 98.6% (the dash SOC says 100%)
Remain: 38.0 kWh

I don't think we yet know enough about the new BMS to worry about the SOH from a single reading. My car seemed to be on track for about 8% loss the first year, but only ended up with about half that.

Kieran973 said:
Should I be concerned?
Inadequate data and time to conclude anything. A year will be interesting and the second year informative. It takes that long because Li-x batteries often have an early loss of range of up to 5% that then tapers off to a long-term degradation rate.

I happened to monitor a least a few of the QC sessions. I mostly only did them at night or early morning and never during the middle of the day. The temps in there briefly in one or two sessions did get to 110 F but other sessions saw it peak at around 100 F max.

Given that it appears the SOH readings on LS may be up to 3 pct off, it seems tracking it this closely might be waste time, compared to just checking in every 6 months or so.

Max range on a warm (80 F) day if fully charged still showing around 170 mi+

lorenfb said:
jdcbomb said:

Doesn't need to get there to be problematic, even frequent 110-115 F is to be avoided. Get LeafSpy to measure your temps after a QC.

Figured it was a good time for an update since someone else asked for another thread, and I looked up my stats.

I have now had my leaf for 1 month and ~ 600 miles.

I am currently at 112.53 AHr and 97.48% SOH and 100.42% Hx with 3 QC and 37 L1/L2

Note that my car had sat for a year at a dealer and started at SOH of 97.63%

I think its too early to draw any conclusions on trends because the hot weather is just starting. But so far its a 2% per year drop. I expect that to accelerate the next few months then trend back down come fall and winter.

Back