2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
As for the ~ 10k CAD price difference over an ICE Kona, I think you should count up what you pay in petrol costs for that car and consider your pollution contribution.

I'll be sticking with my 2013 Leaf for now, so no worries on that front. I mentioned the Kona ICE price difference because it's still a barrier to mass adoption of EVs, despite government subsidies. Like I said, hopefully battery price per kWh continues to fall over the next decade to eliminate that price difference.

alozzy said:
I mentioned the Kona ICE price difference because it's still a barrier to mass adoption of EVs, despite government subsidies. .
Only for the arithmetic challenged. Have Canucks succumbed to the same mass stupidity as their southern neighbors ?

Sigh :roll: you clearly haven't understood that most people don't do the math to understand the total cost of ownership over the life of the car. I do understand, but that's irrelevant to my point.

I'm constantly explaining the TOC savings to people in my social circles and I often comment on online articles too, detailing the cost savings. Stop preaching to the choir...

Up front cost continues to dissuade people from choosing an EV, a fact that seems to have eluded you. Most people don't make car buying decisions based on logic and careful analysis, instead they make emotional decisions and rational justifications.

Do you even have a point to make, or do you just enjoy being snarky?

Social skills are a set completely different from those required for math and engineering. As a generalist myself, I think we all need to learn more 'tools' for dealing with the world. It's too late for me to learn advanced math - or even to re-learn algebra - but I remain hopeful that the math and engineering folks here will enhance their social skills, which are easier to upgrade.

alozzy said:
most people don't do the math to understand the total cost of ownership
Obviously, and I'm not surprised.
They DO consider monthly out of pocket; I'm surprised they seem incapable of adding car+fuel together

I think Colorado was on the right track when they allowed dealerships to apply the state tax credit at the time of sale. The unexpected consequence though was that the dealerships raised prices ...

A facile and supportive government would make it trivial to amend income tax witholdings from salary.

LeftieBiker said:
but I remain hopeful that the math and engineering folks here will enhance their social skills, which are easier to upgrade.
They are not that easy to upgrade, especially as people get older.

But I highly recommend this book on that topic. It was a very interesting read.

If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?
My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating

- By Alan Alda

DougWantsALeaf said:
Anyone with a plus on this thread have a high gid reading to share?

We recently leased a 2019 Nissan Leaf SV Plus.

I did a 100% full to full charge.

SOC = 97.2%
kWh=57.9 kwh
ah= 168.9
Volts- 403.3V
Temp = 81.8 Max
GIDs= 747
220 miles - 5% @ 3.9 miles/kWh

I charged the car overnight and this was reading in the morning.

I finally have my Leafspy up:

AHr: 173.90
SOH: 98.58
374.62 V
Hx =107.31
Odo=948 (though car has 1540 miles on it <- I am sure that is accurate based on travels)
6 QC
24 Lvl 1/2
SOC = 74.2
571 GIDs
44.3 kWh remain

Odometer has been pretty accurate to google maps on the Longer drives.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I finally have my Leafspy up:

AHr: 173.90
SOH: 98.58
374.62 V
Hx =107.31
Odo=948 (though car has 1540 miles on it <- I am sure that is accurate based on travels)
6 QC
24 Lvl 1/2
SOC = 74.2
571 GIDs
44.3 kWh remain

Odometer has been pretty accurate to google maps on the Longer drives.

I believe if you go to setting in LeafSpy and click Green “CAN odometer in miles” odometer will read correctly on page one.

7y9feASl.jpg

I have LeafSpy Lite working in my car, still trying to understand everything I'm seeing...

AHr: 173.51
SOH: 98.36
373.42 V
Hx =108.01 (I'm not exactly sure I understand this number being over 100%?)
Odo=4,507 (for some reason it read 0 this morning even though it was working yesterday... maybe because this was during charging?)
18 QC
73 L1/L2
SOC = 69.8
GIDs & remaining kWh only on Pro

Our 2020 Leaf Eplus SL doesn’t arrive till February ish. Once in awhile we will be making a 550 to 625 km per day trip from BC to Palm Springs and back. Maybe once per year max. We tend to travel max 8 hours per day and take two 15 minute breaks and a lunch break of around half hour or so. Would like to hear from others owning the Eplus if this sounds like a reasonable day as far as combining charging with our scheduled breaks. We will stay in hotels with Level 2 destination chargers overnight. We have been doing this trip for years in our Motorhome or Grand Cherokee but next year will be the first time in an EV.

Thoughts.

Thanks.

webeleafowners said:
Our 2020 Leaf Eplus SL doesn’t arrive till February ish. Once in awhile we will be making a 550 to 625 km per day trip from BC to Palm Springs and back. Maybe once per year max. We tend to travel max 8 hours per day and take two 15 minute breaks and a lunch break of around half hour or so. Would like to hear from others owning the Eplus if this sounds like a reasonable day as far as combining charging with our scheduled breaks. We will stay in hotels with Level 2 destination chargers overnight. We have been doing this trip for years in our Motorhome or Grand Cherokee but next year will be the first time in an EV.

Thoughts.

Thanks.

I've only had my Leaf Plus for 2 months and I don't now what others on the forum here think but I like using "A Better Route Planner" for determining how realistic a route is and what kind of stops I may have to make along the way. Here's an example of the route I think you're talking about in your post. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=b6d80060-89de-4500-9887-5d89dbd94f4c

What you'll want to do to see what might work best for you is click the back button at the top left and you can adjust your speed, rate of consumption, what you want your arrival and departure charge %s to be, the outside temps, and get a pretty good estimate of where and how often you'll need to stop on your journey. California has many many more charging stations than where I live (Ohio) so it's much more likely that you could make the journey without too much difficulty. The only thing you might have some concern about is charging multiple times in a day (rapidgate) but it looks like Nissan actually just released a "fix" for the charge throttling so that may or may not be as big of an issue by February.

My husband have made the 222 mile trip from our house up to Cleveland 3 times since we bought the car (note summer 80/90F weather). If we drive 65mph we can just about make it there (it gets hilly towards the end so it uses more energy), getting home if we started out at 100% we could for sure make it going 65mph but we never start at 100% from Cleveland since we're only trickle charging there. Getting to my point, the route planner I mentioned above was almost spot on for estimating our % upon arrival but that's really all I can offer, hope that helps!

NotATesla said:
webeleafowners said:

Thoughts.

Thanks.

I've only had my Leaf Plus for 2 months and I don't now what others on the forum here think but I like using "A Better Route Planner" for determining how realistic a route is and what kind of stops I may have to make along the way. Here's an example of the route I think you're talking about in your post. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=b6d80060-89de-4500-9887-5d89dbd94f4c

What you'll want to do to see what might work best for you is click the back button at the top left and you can adjust your speed, rate of consumption, what you want your arrival and departure charge %s to be, the outside temps, and get a pretty good estimate of where and how often you'll need to stop on your journey. California has many many more charging stations than where I live (Ohio) so it's much more likely that you could make the journey without too much difficulty. The only thing you might have some concern about is charging multiple times in a day (rapidgate) but it looks like Nissan actually just released a "fix" for the charge throttling so that may or may not be as big of an issue by February.

My husband have made the 222 mile trip from our house up to Cleveland 3 times since we bought the car (note summer 80/90F weather). If we drive 65mph we can just about make it there (it gets hilly towards the end so it uses more energy), getting home if we started out at 100% we could for sure make it going 65mph but we never start at 100% from Cleveland since we're only trickle charging there. Getting to my point, the route planner I mentioned above was almost spot on for estimating our % upon arrival but that's really all I can offer, hope that helps!

It does thank you. We stop often but only for short periods when we are travelling with the Chihuahua. Him and I have small bladders and I like my coffee. I can see multiple 15 minute charges becoming the norm on our trips.

Yes, there is good charger coverage between our place and Palm Springs.

Thanks again.

Additionally, (I don't know how practical this is for you) but you might look into leasing/renting a 2019 Leaf+ if you can to try out the route before making the big purchase. My co-worker was able to do this before buying his Model 3 and he said it was the deciding factor in what he was ultimately going to buy.

NotATesla said:
Additionally, (I don't know how practical this is for you) but you might look into leasing/renting a 2019 Leaf+ if you can to try out the route before making the big purchase. My co-worker was able to do this before buying his Model 3 and he said it was the deciding factor in what he was ultimately going to buy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it will be fine. Most of our trips are exactly 470 km and there are plenty of fast charging options in route. Our once a year (return) trip is at a very relaxed pace and the west coast is well serviced with Chademo opportunities. Our first trip down will be 7 days with some off route exploring. Even there we have scoured it with plug share and it looks pretty good. We’ll be using hotel destination charging often as well.

We actually gave them a deposit and I am very much a stand by my deal kinda guy. So it would take unusual circumstances for us to renig on the deal. Our dealership is top rate and our sales manager/salesman very good. Crazy wait though. 6 months. Wow. They have essentially sold their entire 2020 allotment of epluses already.

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers.

webeleafowners said:

Thoughts.
-
It looks like over 2000 km each way. Are you planning on 4 days travel each way ?

Let's see ..
You start out with 60 kWh and reserve 10 kWh so destination charging cover 50 kWh of your daily requirement.
600 km is ~ 100 kWh daily use, so 50 kWh daily on-road charging.
I doubt that you can count on much more than 20 kW average charging speed so that is 2.5 hours charging daily.

If you can patch the car to charge at high battery temperatures the time to charge daily will improve ... at the expense of the battery.

Frankly, you are trying to use the car for a trip it was not designed to handle.

Back