Leaf EVSE for other EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylorama

Hi there,
A very good friend of mine bought a 2016 Kia Soul EV. I think it will easily meet his commuting needs and I'm very excited to see someone in my circle take the plunge.
However, there are 2 wrinkles:
1) It needs to get from Mississauga to Ottawa. I've been spending some time on Plug share and it looks doable, with the big caveat that it will take a lot of extra time and patience. The range estimates for this car are anywhere from 150-212kms. Does anyone know what a realistic range for this car is? It is now 3 years old, so I think 125 would be a pretty safe assumption to work with. It has a 30kWh battery.
2) He bought it from a defunct taxi company really cheap. As such it did not come with an EVSE. Would I be able to loan him my EVSE that came with my 2018 Nissan leaf? Would it work with a non-leaf? My guess is yes, as it has a similar 6.6kW on-board charger, but I don't want him to find out it doesn't with 10% battery at some campground in the middle of nowhere in eastern Ontario.
Any insight/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Your J1772 EVSE will work with any car that uses a J1772 inlet. An adapter will even allow it to work on a Tesla.

The car determines how much power to draw based on the maximum the EVSE can provide.

Thanks for the reply. Another question: The Nissan Leaf comes with a NEMA 14-50 to 5-15 adapter that allows for level 1 as well as level 2 with the same EVSE. Is there an aftermarket EVSE that does the same thing? I do a lot of level 1 charging and find it very handy to not have to own 2 EVSEs

The Soul EV came with a CHAdeMO (DCFC) port, maybe optionally. Does his car have that? It would make his trip much easier.

This is the trip from Mississauga to Ottawa planned out for a 2016 Soul EV with CHAdeMO:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=6d5a5ec2-8fc7-4160-ac63-e8f89f3514d1

The Soul EV only had roughly a 110 mile range when brand new, so I would expect no more than a 100 mile range, and probably more like 80-90. They have degradation issues like the Leaf.

LeftieBiker said:
The Soul EV only had roughly a 110 mile range when brand new, so I would expect no more than a 100 mile range, and probably more like 80-90. They have degradation issues like the Leaf.
Since the OP is in Canada I assume the 125 they are talking about is Km's, 125km =78 miles so I'd say that should certainly be doable.
AFA a nice universal voltage/amperage EVSE I might suggest a Zencar EVSE, I own one and it allows me to charge my 6.6Kwh Leaf anywhere from 12a-27.5a @ 120v and the same for 208-240v :)
Don't currently see the Zencar I was thinking about but this one seems to be multi-voltage multi-amperage,
https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Charger-Portable-Charging-Electric/dp/B07P9C963L/ref=sr_1_29?keywords=level+2+ev+charger&qid=1558650849&s=automotive&sprefix=level+%2Cautomotive%2C288&sr=1-29
Juicebox also makes excellent multi-voltage multi-amperage EVSEs although you need to get their better model(still reasonably priced) and you need to use your cell phone and WiFi to adjust the amperage, something I personally don't have access to nor care to do.
https://emotorwerks.com/store/residential/juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable

Since the OP is in Canada I assume the 125 they are talking about is Km's, 125km =78 miles so I'd say that should certainly be doable.

Oops! Sorry! I really need to either start drinking coffee before I first post, or wait until I'm fully awake. Yes, 125km/78 miles should be doable.

91040 said:
Your J1772 EVSE will work with any car that uses a J1772 inlet. An adapter will even allow it to work on a Tesla.

The car determines how much power to draw based on the maximum the EVSE can provide.
Yes, and I've put this to the test. I used my wife's Prius Prime EVSE to charge my LEAF, used my 2015 LEAF EVSE to charge her Prius Prime, and used a (2018) LEAF EVSE to charge a Tesla Model 3 (via its J1772toTesla adapter). J1772 is truly the Lingua Franca of BEV charging protocols.

J-1772 is just a smart way of providing house current to a vehicle's charger. I have a little adapter that lets me charge my Vectrix VX-1 maxi-scooter from a J-1772 EVSE, and the Vectrix was never designed with J-1772 in mind. It just wants something like 100 - 250 volts, and isn't fussy about the source.

dylorama said:
Thanks for the reply. Another question: The Nissan Leaf comes with a NEMA 14-50 to 5-15 adapter that allows for level 1 as well as level 2 with the same EVSE. Is there an aftermarket EVSE that does the same thing? I do a lot of level 1 charging and find it very handy to not have to own 2 EVSEs

Many EVSE;s are dual voltage. I think the JuiceBox is or at least it was and the OpenEVSE can be made dual voltage. In the OpenEVSE it is just a matter of using a 12V relay Same with the JuiceBox..

The two basic JuicveBox units had 12V relays running on the 15V supply. I do not know what they currently use since I am an OpenEVSE person.

Back