More range w/Level 2 charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nondem

2015 SV w/one capacity bar gone(85% of capacity left) @ 10k miles.

I just got a 6.6Kw charger setup for home. I've had the car for a couple of weeks and until now I only had the 110v charger. So I basically plugged it in when I got home and it was(usually) finished when I left for work in the AM.
Last night I had the timer set to start the charge later so it would be full shortly before I left for work - and not sit that way any longer than absolutely needed. The Guess-O-Meter had been showing 81 miles of range w/the trickle charger but after the first 6.6Kw charge it showed 89 miles. Should I could consider this a fluke?

Probably. The only way I could see it as not a fluke would be if the car never had time to fully equalize the cells at the end of charge on L-1, but can now do so on L-2.

I see....Last night I set the timer a couple of hours earlier and it was showing 91 this morning. Actually since I got the car and started exercising the batteries it seems to have aquired more range over time. I am pretty sure the previous owner - a little old lady(from Pasadena no doubt) - didn't drive it much and it sat around a lot.

The GOM responds to your driving habits and adjusts accordingly. If you are doing pretty much the same drive (commute?) routinely and traffic does not vary a lot you are likely to get similar readings. As YOU improve, the GOM may reflect that, but you have not materially 'improved' the actual battery.
Go on a different drive and deliberately do not conserve electrons. You'll probably get a somewhat different GOM reading when full. Mine is all over the place when I do a full charge since I do almost no routine drives and seldom do complete fills.

As pointed out there is top end balancing done at the very end of charge. This can take awhile as it is slow. The L1 may not have had time to quite finish this task, but the L2 does so you may be getting just a tad more charge.

Thanks...I gotta say - I was nervous when I bought this car that the range might be degraded a bit too much for my commute.
Today I did a lot of errands in town and the drive from home starts and ends with a 15 mile highway drive. I'm getting a solid 90+ miles of range. I was at 83 miles when the 15 mile Guess-o-meter alarm went off. Over half of the day was w/the AC on in 95 degree heat.
I do run Eco/B mode but from my reading that only adds just a few miles at best.
I do live in fl.us where it is pretty flat though.

LeftieBiker said:
Probably. The only way I could see it as not a fluke would be if the car never had time to fully equalize the cells at the end of charge on L-1, but can now do so on L-2.

Its a fluke. I checked my 2013 several times and the GOM didn't change after the balancing part of the charge started. In fact, most of the time, the GID count didn't change. A few times I saw it gain 1-2 but even that was pretty rare.

Since this is top end balancing, YMMV

nondem said:
I see....Last night I set the timer a couple of hours earlier and it was showing 91 this morning. Actually since I got the car and started exercising the batteries it seems to have aquired more range over time. I am pretty sure the previous owner - a little old lady(from Pasadena no doubt) - didn't drive it much and it sat around a lot.
Was the car fully charged on L1 ? Do you note the SoC, or just rely of the GOM ?

As you can tell from the responses, we all think the GOM is a waste of time. And as for drawing any conclusions based on it ... bad idea.

I am not surprised to see a slight increase in indicated (and likely actual) range with daily use. My 2015 seems to not take a really full charge after it sits for extended time at my office or the airport (usually takes a couple of charge/discharge cycles to return to normal) so I suspect the increase you see is real, but don't expect too much improvement from Level 2 charging and daily use. It is clear that the car you bought sat a lot without much driving. Enjoy the "new to you" car. As others have already said, the Nissan Distance To Empty display is just a guess and any resemblance to reality is purely a coincidence.

As I mentioned in another thread - When I first got this low mileage(9500) 2015 SV, LeafSpy showed just over 85% Battery health and one capacity bar was missing. I've been using my new 6.6Kw charger and driving it from 100% to approx 30% each day since I got it and am up to 11k miles. I have also been using the timer so it finishes charging to 100% just before I leave for work so it doesn't sit at 100% for long.

I just checked leafspy and noticed the SOH was over 87% now :) Does that make sense?
I'm going from memory here - but it seems like I read that the first capacity bar goes away at about 85% and won't come back.
Should I do the hack that resets the capacity bars to full? I assume it'll stay there till the SOH gets back down to 85% again....if my memory serves anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I started another thread before reading the last few posts of this one...but as I mention in the new thread...my SOH has actually gone up.

nondem said:
As I mentioned in another thread - When I first got this low mileage(9500) 2015 SV, LeafSpy showed just over 85% Battery health and one capacity bar was missing. I've been using my new 6.6Kw charger and driving it from 100% to approx 30% each day since I got it and am up to 11k miles. I have also been using the timer so it finishes charging to 100% just before I leave for work so it doesn't sit at 100% for long.

I just checked leafspy and noticed the SOH was over 87% now :) Does that make sense?
I'm going from memory here - but it seems like I read that the first capacity bar goes away at about 85% and won't come back.
Should I do the hack that resets the capacity bars to full? I assume it'll stay there till the SOH gets back down to 85% again....if my memory serves anyway.

SOH as estimate by the BMS and read by LeafSpy varies by at least +-3% from the true value. So that makes sense.

Other people have reported capacity bars returning on their own. Might happen to you. Usually isn't for long.

No...but I am unable to delete the thread now. Feel free to do so lest it continue get bumped back to the top of the threads.

Back