TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoaty said:
EVDRIVER said:
Increasing the pack size after long delays with the same air cooled pack is not a significant improvement it's a stop-gap. That significant improvement did not make for a significant increase in sales. Is the Nissan pack automotive grade? Yes Tesla uses automotive grade parts. I don't have a screen issue or know anyone that does.
My 2013 model S 85 kwh does not have any issues with the screen. Before purchasing I asked what repairs had been done during the first 65,000 miles. There were a few issues with door handles that got fixed, but nothing about the screen or MCU. I still have 2 more years warranty on the battery and drive unit. While I could have some expensive repairs down the road, I saved about $10,000 over the typical price for most used Teslas so I will probably still be ahead. It isn't just that the model S is fun to drive (it is, of course). It has replaced virtually all of my driving, something the Leaf could never do.
The question isn't whether or not you personally have had issues, it's whether or not the screen has issues at a much higher rate than would be the case with automotive-grade parts, esp. in hot climates.

GRA said:
Stoaty said:
EVDRIVER said:
Increasing the pack size after long delays with the same air cooled pack is not a significant improvement it's a stop-gap. That significant improvement did not make for a significant increase in sales. Is the Nissan pack automotive grade? Yes Tesla uses automotive grade parts. I don't have a screen issue or know anyone that does.
My 2013 model S 85 kwh does not have any issues with the screen. Before purchasing I asked what repairs had been done during the first 65,000 miles. There were a few issues with door handles that got fixed, but nothing about the screen or MCU. I still have 2 more years warranty on the battery and drive unit. While I could have some expensive repairs down the road, I saved about $10,000 over the typical price for most used Teslas so I will probably still be ahead. It isn't just that the model S is fun to drive (it is, of course). It has replaced virtually all of my driving, something the Leaf could never do.
The question isn't whether or not you personally have had issues, it's whether or not the screen has issues at a much higher rate than would be the case with automotive-grade parts, esp. in hot climates.

There are plenty of cars with automotive grade parts that are riddled with issues. There are issues with many cars, this is yet an other issue blown out of proportion because it is a Tesla. I have a 2 year old Tacoma that has had multiple recalls and failures on "automotoive grade parts" At least Tesla is breaking the mold.

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
Stoaty said:

There are plenty of cars with automotive grade parts that are riddled with issues. There are issues with many cars, this is yet an other issue blown out of proportion because it is a Tesla. I have a 2 year old Tacoma that has had multiple recalls and failures on "automotoive grade parts" At least Tesla is breaking the mold.
Sure, you can have issues with automotive grade parts, and just plain lousy cars FTM, but which is more likely to work properly, parts which have had to pass tests to survive the real-world environment they'll experience, or those which haven't?.

GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:

Sure, you can have issues with automotive grade parts, and just plain lousy cars FTM, but which is more likely to work properly, parts which have had to pass tests to survive the real-world environment they'll experience, or those which haven't?.

Try to see the big picture, Also, get an EV it will give you perspective.

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:

Try to see the big picture, Also, get an EV it will give you perspective.
I am seeing the big picture, and that picture is that BEVs aren't currently viable (except at the luxury end of the scale) for mass market customers unless they're bribed or forced to buy them, and anything that contributes to lower value (actual or perceived) just extends the period when that's true even further out.

What perspective would I gain currently from owning a BEV, other than confirming what I already know from reading spec sheets and test reports as well as test driving them myself, which is that they (and their infrastructure) can't meet my needs yet? All owning one would tell me is that I was an idiot to waste tens of thousands buying an unsatisfactory product. I am willing to rent one on Turo as an experiment to see just how well or (almost certainly) ill one handles one of my more typical road trips, just as soon as the necessary QCs open along that route, but I 'm not expecting any great revelations as far as the car's ability to fully meet my transportation needs - I know it won't. That's just the current state of the art.

The yellow border problem seems to be an issue with some form of glue under the glass. It is not dependent upon heat in the car (that is not correct reporting). My S developed the problem in the middle of it's first winter (and the screen was replaced under warranty). It also doesn't seem to affect older cars; IIRC it started showing up on cars made around 2016.

I stand corrected. I was confusing you with someone else that will never own one. My apologies.

EVDRIVER said:
I stand corrected. I was confusing you with someone else that will never own one. My apologies.
Who would that be? Can't be me - I won't own one until it meets my needs, and then I will. Do you own one even though it doesn't meet your needs?

GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:
Who would that be? Can't be me - I won't own one until it meets my needs, and then I will. Do you own one even though it doesn't meet your needs?

I own two EV's and I have owned more than 8. Been driving EVs for more than 15 years. I consider myself particular about cars not unrealistic.

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:

I own two EV's and I have owned more than 8. Been driving EVs for more than 15 years. I consider myself particular about cars not unrealistic.
You didn't answer my question. Do they meet your needs? Are you saying that I am being unrealistic in requiring any car I buy to get me to the places I wish to travel to, and which every car I've owned has been able to do?

GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:

You didn't answer my question. Do they meet your needs? Are you saying that I am being unrealistic in requiring any car I buy to get me to the places I wish to travel to, and which every car I've owned has been able to do?

Every car I have ever bought has met my needs. If you can't find an EV that get's you to where you want to go today then your budget is the issue not the EV.

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:
Every car I have ever bought has met my needs. If you can't find an EV that get's you to where you want to go today then your budget is the issue not the EV.
Budget is an issue for most people, including me. Although I could certainly afford to buy a $50k car, I'm not willing to spend that much of my life paying for any car, especially when far less expensive options that fully meet my transportation needs are available. But you ignore the fact that without the infrastructure, and with limited range, there are still many places I can't get to in any BEV regardless of price, but have had no trouble getting to in any ICE. I've listed several of these in the past, either trips I have taken or those which I want to take, so won't repeat them here.

BTW, it doesn't strike me as having cars meet your needs if you have bought 8 different BEVs over 15 years, i.e. a new one at less than two-year intervals. In the past 31 years I've owned two cars, the first for 14.5 years until it was stolen, and the current one, now 16 and still going strong, because I spent a lot of time before I bought making sure they could meet all of my then current and, as far as I could predict, future needs, but especially the most demanding ones - meet that and you can also meet all the easier needs, although naturally with excess capability un-needed for those jobs. I seem to have succeeded.

You apparently run more towards Tony Williams' end of the spectrum, buying cars more often than I buy clothes. Whatever works for you, but it's not my goal in life to maximize the number of cars auto companies build; rather the reverse. And when the day comes that it's no longer necessary or cost-effective for me to own a car, because I can access ZEV MaaS for a lot less and just as conveniently, I'll happily wave bye-bye to car ownership. IDK whether ZEVs with acceptable performance and adequate infrastructure will arrive before MaaS with the same capabilities does, but I can wait a bit and see, as I'm not forced to choose at this time.

Stoaty said:
smkettner said:
Between the I-Pace and F150 I am in pretty good shape.
I put in 80-85% of miles driven in Tesla Model S. The other 15-20% in old Toyota Camry. The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Indeed, but as a single person household, I find having two cars and keeping one for occasional use to be unjustifiable. I'm a two-vehicle household, but use three vehicles on a regular basis. Vehicle #1, for routine local and some intra-regional use is a 1-person, 30 lb. two-wheeled ZEV powered by me, gets around 40 miles/kWh and is parked inside my apartment. Vehicle #2, my usual intra-regional vehicle either alone or in combination with vehicle #1, is also a ZEV, and I have to travel 6 blocks to access it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_A..._approaching_MacArthur_station,_June_2018.JPG

Then there's vehicle #3, my ICE, which normally gets 28-30 mpg, used for some intra-regional trips where Vehicle #2 doesn't go and for all road trips, most of the time to places where no ZEV infrastructure exists within reach. It's this last vehicle's capabilities that will need to be replaced; The other two are fine as is (#2's capability is continually increasing as its lines are extended, reducing the need for Veh. #3's intra-regional use).

I just signed up for the Electrify America app just in case I need to travel long distance in a vehicle and need to see if I can run electric instead of gasoline.

Anyway I must say the L3 coverage is expanding fast. Within a year I think I could go about anywhere nation wide. Could need to take more time or have some small detours for charging but the network is really filling out nicely. For me the real dark spot would be up 93 from Vegas to Twin Falls/Boise. I would have to go around to Salt Lake or Sacramento.

ABG:
Tesla employee satisfaction ratings slip amid cost-cutting, layoffs
Elon Musk's CEO approval rating takes a big hit
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/10/tesla-employee-satisfaction-ratings-slip/

Tesla Inc's rankings at two high-profile job websites have declined, suggesting that job dissatisfaction at the electric car company is intensifying amid layoffs, strategy shifts and executive turnover.

Tesla placed 16th on LinkedIn's annual "Top Companies 2019" list published in April, compiled from billions of actions taken by its over 600 million users that indicate job interest and demand. It held the fifth and sixth spots in 2018 and 2017, respectively.

At jobs site Glassdoor, Tesla's overall company rating fell to 3.2 out of 5.0 stars based on reviews written in the first quarter from a high of 3.6 in 2017, according to historical data compiled by Glassdoor at Reuters' request. The average rating of the nearly 1 million employers reviewed on the site is 3.4.

In the first quarter, Elon Musk's CEO approval rating dropped to 52% from 90% in 2017.

Tesla's "recommend to a friend" rating fell to 49% in the first quarter from a high of 71% two years prior, the Glassdoor data showed.

For comparison, Ford Motor Co. rates 3.9 stars, with Jim Hackett earning a 72 percent CEO rating, and 76 percent would recommend the company to a friend. General Motors rated 3.4 stars, with 67 percent approval of CEO Mary Barra and a 59 percent recommend rating. Toyota North America earned a 3.7 rating, 91 percent approve of CEO Akio Toyoda, and 69 percent would recommend to a friend.

Similarly, Glassdoor ratings for culture and values, career opportunities, senior leadership and six-month positive business outlook all fell. Only "work-life balance" and "compensation and benefits" remained static. No metrics improved.

The reviews are anonymous and Glassdoor says it does not verify identities or employment status. . . .
Also ABG:
Elon Musk: Tesla has a 'decent shot at a record quarter on every level'
This after deliveries dropped 31% in the first quarter
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/11/elon-musk-tesla-record-quarter/

Tesla has "a decent shot at a record quarter on every level," Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said at the company's annual shareholder meeting on Tuesday, soothing concerns about weak demand for the electric car maker's sedans.

Tesla's stock rose 3.6% to $225 in extended trading. Musk also said the company was on track to hit its volume production goal by the end of this year. . . .

Tesla previously said it plans to deliver 90,000 to 100,000 vehicles to customers in the second quarter versus 63,000 vehicles in the first, and is aiming to deliver 360,000 to 400,000 vehicles in 2019.

Musk said the company was hoping to unveil its electric pickup truck this summer, and get into semi truck production toward the end of next year.

The company was still looking for a right place in Europe to build a gigafactory, Musk said at the meeting, and Tesla was likely to firm up on a decision by the end of the year.

Back