Researching, considering a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDB415

New guy currently driving an Accord hybrid and considering a new Leaf. Between the $7500 federal and another $3500 rebate through the electric provider it's very tempting. I drive about 6k-6.5k miles per year. I think to be successful I'd need to install a 240v system at the house. I don't even know enough yet to know what questions I should be asking. I appreciate having access to this forum to learn what I need to know.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27677

6.5k miles a year, would you be relying on the LEAF for any trips much over 100 miles?

And that's about 26 miles per day. L2 probably is not needed. With 6.5 hours of L1 charging at night, you will about replace your daily usage.

My "long" trips are when I go meet family for lunch on the opposite side of Houston, around 95-105 miles round trip depending on where we choose, maybe 5-6 times a year. Mostly it's 1-3 trips per day round trip around home, usually less than 10 miles round trip each and some less than 5.

In your climate I suggest leasing, not buying a new Leaf. With no active thermal management of the battery pack you could well find yourself with rapid capacity loss if the pack stays hot for long periods. If you don't need more than 2/3 of the 150 mile range then the capacity warranty would likely get you a new battery eventually, but then the loss starts all over again...

LDB415 said:
My "long" trips are when I go meet family for lunch on the opposite side of Houston, around 95-105 miles round trip depending on where we choose, maybe 5-6 times a year. Mostly it's 1-3 trips per day round trip around home, usually less than 10 miles round trip each and some less than 5.

These trips would require a charge stop once the battery is down to warranty replacement level in roughly 10 years. The warranty is for 8 years.

Are you OK with stopping for a charge? Or replacing the car in 8-12 years?

Leasing is more extreme version of this, by replacing the car in 2-3 years. Higher cost, but a almost new car all the time.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27677#p547070

I presume if/when it became necessary to charge we could just opt for Cracker Barrel or another choice that offers charging while we eat or they can start driving more and meeting in the middle instead of me going up there. And that's presuming they're still able to meet in 8-10 years. I'm the "kid" of the group and I'm 62, a decade younger than them.

I wouldn't want to do a lease as I can't really afford to have payments forever. I'd also want the $7500 government credit and $3500 utility rebate for myself.

LDB415 said:
I presume if/when it became necessary to charge we could just opt for Cracker Barrel or another choice that offers charging while we eat or they can start driving more and meeting in the middle instead of me going up there. And that's presuming they're still able to meet in 8-10 years. I'm the "kid" of the group and I'm 62, a decade younger than them.

I wouldn't want to do a lease as I can't really afford to have payments forever. I'd also want the $7500 government credit and $3500 utility rebate for myself.

As long as you understand the likely loss of range and can live with it, buying is usually the better financial deal. Just remember that used Leafs have poor resale values in general.

Camplunalinda said:
I wanna LEAF...i heard in Japan at EV stations you just exchange your expiring battery for a freshly charged unit?
Source? Which vehicles? Can it be done today or has it been possible since 2014?
Camplunalinda said:
Is it okay to harbor 2 or more batteries..one recharging..one in car..one in trunk?
The battery is under the car. Even on 24 kWh Leafs ('11 to '15), the pack is over 600 pounds.

See pictures at https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/Training/AFV/Emergency-Response-Guides/Nissan/Nissan-Leaf-EV-2011-2012-ERG.ashx?la=en for more context.

Back