Schneider ev230ws wiring

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadrat

Hi,

I have been using Schneider Electric EV230WS L2 charger for my 2011 Nissan Leaf. Few days ago as I changed position of charging my car to outside of garage, seemed to have pulled the charging cable. Now, when I connect the cable to charge, it just beeps once and doesn't start charging. I opened up the cover of charger ev230ws and see that two wires from the J1772 adapter cable are not connected to matching wire of the ev230ws. These are green and orange (orange plus blue from adapter side). I attached a picture to show. Shows the open connectors.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlU5q8_Ka5d2mikmQ2YUrk72E1AP

Do I just connect these cables to matching of ev230ws and should solve the problem? I had a bad experience of childhood with electric connections, so looking for guidance.

If only the one connection was pulled apart, it should work normally after reconnecting the wires. Check all of the other wires and connections to make sure everything is secure and tight. The cable and EVSE is assambled with that wire tighter than the others so it pulls that connector apart to cause the car to stop charging and the EVSE to shutdown if someone moves the car while it is plugged in.

The green is the ground and the orange should be the pilot signal. Reconnecting them seems ok as far as it goes, but I'm concerned about a couple of other things. The picture doesn't really show where the black and white hot wires are terminated. I'd want to be really sure that those are still attached firmly. Secondly, there should have been strain relief that would prevent this kind of thing. You pulled hard enough to overcome the strain relief. I think we should be able to see part of the jacket of the cable in the bushing where the wires enter. You probably need to loosen the stain relief, push more of the cable inside, and tighten it again.

Thanks for the help. Below is complete housing view. The main power wires that connect at the top are fine. Yes, as you indicated the original cabling to have strain relief was not done properly as I could see part of those individual colored wires inside the big black adapter cable at the bottom of the housing when it was closed. Maybe due to that loose cabling, was the reason of connectors coming off.

https://f43qyq.ch.files.1drv.com/y4m22TD-85-YE52bK3pPO3IOtWtIMDT3vKzS4LNKuE6HShFCN0s9UtKtykTGEcArNNM7PEWolgzY_FKT0bR873s6I2dCbUK1DdyrNTAPIupBWhwgcNbNxM5sGFYdUqX9CUf9XbUeNyuUuqw533eAiFyIHe9qbMWlh3lk_E1awKSSozXPCPQ75iPtC0wxnmKpkZ7dZanWoiqn1Cjy8R0COkWIA?width=3024&height=4032&cropmode=none

This one has better view of the cables at the top.

https://gi3qyq.ch.files.1drv.com/y4mjvOgLuZUqfPwlMqEaW-9dyvEgzGeT1TlSWG56YXhKCJkVNYWUalZwFkvOQE1bI0UHWQCYJGKwYIGdDX4JeWEy6yyR4l9bYgecBNf9AeBIoIN1IYNuGkYeQGsyab18Jijmw48zW99iY0GmiCntiNg7LFpoaD6tK9nOnx7GcrYKVn18j__DMOkgDLUU3uUQPyUuF_2Jgk1MFYgnQ7YWg1Etw?width=3024&height=4032&cropmode=none

Based on your commens , I took the step to correct the bottom cabling for strain relief and conneced the two open connectors. It solved the charging problem. My Leaf is charging again with this L2 charger. Thank you.

Image after corrected wiring.

https://fy3qyq.ch.files.1drv.com/y4mogRaGzaGh-PssLk-NYd6_LdATdyo3GjRYDKPvMAYaZWYDNK_VAlIt9ikvVaR14ifhnMJr8zSuP2tTeRg-4j46r1MRG0xrP7UUAlf-uJRLnepIFJ9koVuG7oBY8Jd-WauPKHKcVbSQdwQXlB_Xa-fE0avcBbA_XFzFOYizUllTvtqbzjJRSXkkNIV73AmrojCACdwQnvvz9fqUq7AV0JP7Q?width=3024&height=4032&cropmode=none

That looks much better. Glad you were able to fix it up.

BTW, the design of the connections inside the case is deliberate so that the pilot wire (orange) will disconnect first in the event that the cable is pulled out while charging (maybe a vehicle rollaway or another car snagging and pulling the cable). That's why it's a little shorter and uses that spade connection. The disconnection of the pilot will cause the car to immediately (in milliseconds) stop drawing current. This prevents arcing when the current carrying conductors pull loose.

Back