What is your real world range with 40 and 62 KWH?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a only a few days under my belt in the new E+, I feel like the GOM is substantially better then what I had in the 2013 Leaf. It adjusts gradually (in both directions), so no over exuberance. Others feel the same. With 100 miles on the car (50% highway), we are still showing about 180 miles left in range, so will be interested to see when it starts hiding range as the GOM and %SOC go down.

I don't own a Tesla, so only compare against those who sit near me that have one. My boss, who has an X tells me she translates her "300" exectric miles to no more then 190 real world miles. She say her 3 (Long Range) does a better job, but still way over estimates range. We are here in flat Illinois, so there should not be too many surprises on the road here. It does get quite cold, and I have read a number of threads hinting that the range loss in the cold with the Telsas (as with the Leaf) can be quite severe. We did hit -30C this winter in Chicago. I know my 2013 leaf only mustered about half its then normal 80 mile range at that cold (parked outside with heat running the entire time).

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/real-world-range-during-harsh-canadian-winters-18c-0f.104915/

https://insideevs.com/news/341140/tesla-model-3-range-down-42-in-cold-weather/

CR also had a good test from last year.

Hard to trust comments from others regarding range. 190 miles might refer to when they like to recharge, and not when the capacity is 100% exhausted. Also, driving habits impact an EV just like an ICEV, if not more so. My wife drives a Hyundai Santa Fe. She gets 19mpg. When I drive it, I get 29. The model S is a heavy car, so if your friend likes to "win" every light like my wife does, it will have a big impact on the range.

I have a new SV with the 40 kwh pack. I have a friend who lives in Spring TX, almost exactly 50 miles away from my house. I drove the new car to his place last Sunday, then took him and his wife for a test drive for about 5-10 miles, and then back to my place that evening.

I was driving on the freeway (I-45) and had the cruise control set on 65mph and the air conditioner on. I got slowed down a couple of times due to traffic and part of it was driving through regular roads to get to his house. Anyway, when I got home from the entire trip I still had 62 miles of range left. So that was after about 110 miles of driving with the a/c on, giving me an expected range of 172, almost exactly what the car showed when I left my house.

I think you should be able to make 120 miles with no problem. Even with some long-term degradation.

My real world range with a 40 Kwh 2018 Leaf varies significantly.

In cold weather with the heat on and lots of hills, I may get as low as 100 miles on a full charge.

The best I ever get is 170 miles, but that is in warm weather with the air conditioning off and less than 50mph on flat ground.

I rarely get better efficiency than 4.5 KW.

I've owned this car for just over a year and have roughly 12,000 miles on the odometer.

By the way, the guess-o-meter is basically worthless on my Leaf. It's never even remotely close. I've learned from experience about how far I can go on a charge based on the conditions and driving style.

My car is a Model S. Not sure if that makes a difference.

My car is a Model S. Not sure if that makes a difference.

The S does not have the heat pump equipped "hybrid heater" available, and this lowers the range compared to heatpump-equipped cars in all cases where the heat is used above about 15F.

I can’t speak for an 18 Leaf, but the 19 Leaf GOM is much less erratic than my 13 Leaf and I know the 13 Leaf did better than the 11 Leaf.

That said, the 19 Leaf incrementally hides some range in the bottom half of the charge, so it could make you believe the range was running to empty faster than expectations. Not sure that was so smart by Nissan.

stutech said:
On my plus I get a constant 3.8miles per kw average no matter what I do. Although my GOM averages 230-240 miles at the start, so it seems weird. I've inflated my tires to 43 psi, since my tires say 44psi max on them. So far I have 3980 miles on my plus, and my commute is mixed up and down hill as well as highway and city. I've taken it on 4 trips so far, and going 65mph I usually realistically get 230 miles to out of it, I could probably get more but im not willing to risk it. I've found pro pilot does a better job than me at moderating the pedal, although I prefer manual control. If you want more miles per kw I would say check your tire pressure. From the factory mine was lower than even the lame manufacture suggested psi.

How often do you reset the miles/kwh meter? Unless you do it "at least" daily, you would have no clue if anything you are doing is working.

As others have mentioned, the GOM "is" better than previous models but a few things to clarify.

**At full charge, the GOM is actually quite accurate in predicting your usable range. BUT... we have more range so the need to charge to full is reduced. Also, as we know, the BMS is still not very good so charging to the limits opens the door to disaster.

**Like a stopped clock, the GOM is accurate once a charge. This again happens well before any charge level warnings start to appear and is not of much value unless you know when its happening.

**The inaccuracy of the GOM grows as the SOC shrinks. IOW; when we "need" to know how far we can go, the GOM abandons us. Now, if we did our due diligence and the drive is somewhat typical, we can have an idea of how much range we have if we completed the first point.

Now, I have a 40 but doubt much has changed with the Plus. As far as performance, the 2018 and up IS more efficient especially at higher speeds. My commute is shorter but follows a rather predictable pattern.

Summer;

Day One; Sunday. Light traffic to medium traffic, 12 mile commute one way, 50% freeway, 65-75 mph. Both ways. Average 4.4 - 4.7 miles per kwh.

Day 2-4; Week. Heavy traffic in morning, mostly light in evening; Average 4.8 to 5.6 miles/kwh.

The upper end of that range is seen about 50% of the time during this time of year. I NEVER saw that in previous LEAFs and I almost "always" drove slower. Granted, its a short stretch that I only passed by most of the time before the job change but the morning drives were still not as good as what I see now even to the same freeway exit.

More on GOM

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-leafs-hidden-reserve-yes-its.html

stutech said:
On my plus I get a constant 3.8miles per kw average no matter what I do.

Reset the meter.
You probably meant to say 3.8 miles per kWh

kWh is a unit of energy
kW is a unit of power. Power is energy/time

SageBrush said:
stutech said:

Reset the meter.

kWh is a unit of energy

Oops, I meant KWh not kW my bad. I'll reset it and see if that fixes it. It seems weird to me that the car doesn't refresh it with new data periodically.

stutech said:
SageBrush said:
stutech said:

Reset the meter.

kWh is a unit of energy

Oops, I meant KWh not kW my bad. I'll reset it and see if that fixes it. It seems weird to me that the car doesn't refresh it with new data periodically.
What do you mean by the bolded part? Of course it does. But, if you don't reset it ever (like after a charge or after segment where you want to measure its efficiency), your recent driving contributes little to what's been accumulated. Without a reset, it could take lots of driving a higher or lower efficiency or drastically higher or lower efficiency to get the "needle" to move.

cwerdna said:
stutech said:
SageBrush said:
Reset the meter.

kWh is a unit of energy

What do you mean by the bolded part? Of course it does. But, if you don't reset it ever (like after a charge or after segment where you want to measure its efficiency), your recent driving contributes little to what's been accumulated. Without a reset, it could take lots of driving a higher or lower efficiency or drastically higher or lower efficiency to get the "needle" to move.

What I mean by the bolded part is that their seems to be a latent delay in how fast the data updates even when resetting it. Other brands of cars seem to update averages more frequent. Maybe it's just that the leaf uses all of time, where other makers may use last 1000 miles or so.

stutech said:
What I mean by the bolded part is that their seems to be a latent delay in how fast the data updates even when resetting it. Other brands of cars seem to update averages more frequent. Maybe it's just that the leaf uses all of time, where other makers may use last 1000 miles or so.

Nah.
If you actually reset the meter it will post a new value in under a minute of driving.

stutech said:
cwerdna said:
stutech said:

It updates every 30 seconds for first 10 mins, then once per min after that. Your likely issue is the updates are not providing new info because the data set is so large. I don't understand why people who care, don't reset it daily. It takes all of 3 seconds. On the trip computer screen, simply hold the select button down 2 seconds and all fields will reset.

Ok, went for my first recharge after 178 miles. Car started with 97-8% and ended with 30%. 86 miles left on the GOM. About 75% highway miles. Hwy efficiency was in the mid 4’s. I couldn’t keep it at 5 miles per kWh above 50 miles per hour. Even then, you need to keep the car in the first power bar to keep that. Driver + 2 adult sized passengers for most of the travel. Tires at 39psi

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, went for my first recharge after 178 miles. Car started with 97-8% and ended with 30%. 86 miles left on the GOM. About 75% highway miles. Hwy efficiency was in the mid 4’s. I couldn’t keep it at 5 miles per kWh above 50 miles per hour. Even then, you need to keep the car in the first power bar to keep that. Driver + 2 adult sized passengers for most of the travel. Tires at 39psi
Net elevation change ?
Speeds ?
Wind ?

These are the variables that matter the most.

I just made 3 months with the 2018 SV with tech and cold weather package.

Distance Traveled: 3931 miles
Average Energy Economy: 4.2 miles/kWh

75% Highway: 65 -70mph usually in B-Mode and I use cruise control when prudent, usually light traffic since I come in and leave very early
25% Suburbs: 35 - 50 mph E-Pedal some stop lights and traffic

Terrain is always flat since I live in the coastal plain. It gets breezy sometimes since we are near the ocean/bay but typically it is less than 10mph. Average weather has gone from 60's in March to 80s in June. I use the HVAC when I think I need it.

I've charged to 100% a few times but have yet to hit LBW so I can't say for sure what my range would be but you can extrapolate from the available battery and average economy to get a range from that.

Sagebrush,

Highway speeds between 50 and 60 mph. Minimal wind, though it was raining lightly for last 100 miles. Elevation changes of not more then +- 100 feet...its northern Illinois.

52 degrees F outside, though battery was showing warmer then that. Battery seems to moderate heat and cold a bit better then the earlier Leafs. We need a full winter to vet that though.

Back