2019 Leaf battery overheating

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
I knew what I was getting and what I could and couldn't do with it, but I totally understand your concern.

I plead guilty as charged! I should have done my research.

To my defense: I had a lease on a 2016 Leaf that never had any issue othet than small battery. So when I saw a Leaf with bigger battery, I jumped in.

Don't remind me....

metricus said:
danrjones said:
I knew what I was getting and what I could and couldn't do with it, but I totally understand your concern.

I plead guilty as charged! I should have done my research.

To my defense: I had a lease on a 2016 Leaf that never had any issue othet than small battery. So when I saw a Leaf with bigger battery, I jumped in.

Don't remind me....
Well, you were prudent in not buying the car. If you had you would be *really* kicking yourself.
And the degradation story in these batteries is an unknown but a car's charging hobbled by heat sure sounds to me like a car that is going to have worse battery degradation than the already poor prior generations.

danrjones said:
Its only suppose to be 105F tomorrow. It's a dry heat.

I knew this going in and never plan to fast charge EXCEPT when I go down to the Nissan dealer in Palmdale.
So twice a year?

But if anyone around here planned to fast charge all the time (assuming one could find a charger, which there are none) yeah it would be too hot.

It all depends on how you plan to use the vehicle.

That would have been me with my 62 KWh LEAF, but I'm going to be renting to go to Yuma from Ridgecrest from now on. Last time took me 11 hours on the return trip due to charge throttling.

ChozoGhost79 said:
That would have been me with my 62 KWh LEAF, but I'm going to be renting to go to Yuma from Ridgecrest from now on. Last time took me 11 hours on the return trip due to charge throttling.

This is outrageous! What false advertising is capable of... They make it sound like you can "keep plugging in and go" when in reality there is no such thing.

I wonder where is @OrientExpress to tell us that none of what we experience is real and we should all bow to the preachings of the Almighty God Nissan.

metricus said:
ChozoGhost79 said:

This is outrageous! What false advertising is capable of... They make it sound like you can "keep plugging in and go" when in reality there is no such thing.

I wonder where is @OrientExpress to tell us that none of what we experience is real and we should all bow to the preachings of the Almighty God Nissan.

He'll likely be along shortly, but I'd bet that if you read the wording of the Nissan ads, there is enough legalese and/or ambiguous wording to let them wriggle through.

When I bought a few months ago one document they had me sign was about limitations on the battery, life, etc

I'm willing to bet it has fine print about charging as well and by signing I agreed to any limitations. I definitely did not read it all. Cant rember what they called it.

This is a second / third vehicle for us so it never leaving town is acceptable.

Driving home today the battery temp was one tick over past center and car said it was 104 outside. Didnt think to check leafspy

FWIW, I did my first and only (personally started by me) SAE Combo DC (not so fast) charge yesterday on my Bolt. Even 19 to 21 kW DC charging at night (OAT below 70 F) is enoughto eventually trigger Bolt's thermal management, as I posted at http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=559905#p559905. The DC charger is one of those "24 kW" 55 amp chargers (says 350 to 460 volts, 55 amps on the label, at least posted on Plugshare).

Also, earlier that day when OAT was 100+ F, apparently, thermal management was triggered when I was driving.

Now that I know what it sounds like (very weird) I believe I triggered another Bolt's thermal management at work today when it plugging into L2. I was busy w/my car (at a problem station at work) and others so I had no time to go back before the noise got quieter.

My battery temps tonight are max 100.8 and min 97.9

Not planning to charge tonight so I'll check again at 6am. Then do it again tomorrow with a night charge and compare.

The warranty prohibited exposure to something like 125f straight for more than 2 or 4 consecutive days. Which should never be an issue. Will it degrade ? Surely. Enough for warranty repair? No clue.

I only plan to keep it 2 ish years anyway. Though technically CA says if you claimed a rebate you must keep for 30 months. Not sure if they really enforce.

The Leaf already has a TMS for the stator and the onboard charger. Beats me why they did not add the battery pack to the circuit. But that's another topic.

Just a crazy question: has anyone looked into removing the shield under the car? I wonder if the cooling improves.

metricus said:
The Leaf already has a TMS for the stator and the onboard charger. Beats me why they did not add the battery pack to the circuit. But that's another topic.
They probably have different ideal operating temps.

And, AFAIK, the liquid cooling system for the Leaf motor and OBC isn't connected at all with the AC system and its refrigerant. So, it won't be able to get those bits cooler than outside air temp, which is probably ok.

FWIW, as I posted in the Bolt thread (with video), they have 3 separate "coolant" loops: the loop for the OBC, motor, DC to DC converter and maybe one more thing also isn't cooled by the AC compressor and is just sent to a radiator. The coolant loop for the battery does have its heat removed by the AC compressor system and apparently also has a 2 kW coolant heater. The 3rd loop is for the crap "water" heater and that's not connected to anything else.

And, there can be considerable extra complexity to cool each of the modules properly.

Maybe I'll get to watching the entire 1.5 hour video for the Bolt battery at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssU2mjiNi_Q someday.

cwerdna said:
metricus said:
They probably have different ideal operating temps.

Way different and not very effective. The charger gets quite warm even with L2 charging (it does not heat up during DCFC sessions) so well above "pack prime" temps.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Way different and not very effective. The charger gets quite warm even with L2 charging (it does not heat up during DCFC sessions) so well above "pack prime" temps.

In other words we need a heat pump not just a radiator. Makes sense because at some ambient temps (hi 30C) we already have throttling.

cwerdna said:
And, there can be considerable extra complexity to cool each of the modules properly.

Thanks for the post. It provides very detailed insight into the overall complexity, e.g. all those hose connections.
Anyone remember having water leaks around coolant hose connections on the old ICEVs or having to replace
a bad hose? Love to hear the labor cost from a GM dealer to replace a bad hose/clamp in the Bolt battery system.

lorenfb said:
Thanks for the post. It provides very detailed insight into the overall complexity, e.g. all those hose connections.
Anyone remember having water leaks around coolant hose connections on the old ICEVs or having to replace
a bad hose?

LOL, yes I know.... I have a 1988 Ford Ranger which I keep just because I can fix everything on it myself. Rare bird!.

metricus said:
lorenfb said:
a bad hose?

LOL, yes I know.... I have a 1988 Ford Ranger which I keep just because I can fix everything on it myself. Rare bird!.

Yes, being able to be a DIY type for many ICEV problems can be a repair cost saver. But not so much for a BEV, especially for future
potential cooling problems as depicted in the video. Adding a cooling system does increase the probability of a long term BEV
system failure. Many can remember when Tesla considered swapping batteries to reduce the vehicle's downtime versus charging,
consider that effect on reliability, totally laughable.

danrjones said:
At 6 am my battery temps were 92 and 89.4 max and min. That's with no charging. Plan to repeat tonight but with 2 hrs of lvl 2 from 3 to 5am.
Anyone know the optimum temperature?
Or the normal range for longest life?

smkettner said:
danrjones said:
At 6 am my battery temps were 92 and 89.4 max and min. That's with no charging. Plan to repeat tonight but with 2 hrs of lvl 2 from 3 to 5am.
Anyone know the optimum temperature?
Or the normal range for longest life?

It probably isn't possible to get the best battery temps for both life and output in normal Summer weather. As low as is possible would have to do. IIRC lithium batteries like temps around 50-70F.

Back