Ice911

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sea levels have raised around 300 feet since the end of the last ice age. A few more feet isn't going kill everyone.
Why do we require the sea level stop rising for us now?
To me that seems pretty megamaniacal.

Flood insurance companies are starting to smarten up refusing to insure buildings on the coast unless they are built a certain way.
That looks something like 130mph wind resistant and built up on stilts as high as 15feet (the highest I observed, don't know if that was the insurance companies requirement or if that is just normal in sea side areas).

Oh yes the fires in california and most semi arid regions are absolutely man's fault.
The worst fire in recent history was started by arcing power lines. Yeah that's kind of mans fault.
Then building the suburbs right up next to the forest, ignoring fire stop easements, putting out all little forest fires during normal wet years and using endangered species as an excuse to deny responsible forestry to large areas all doesn't help.

People who live in flood plains are tempting fate. It's only a matter of time.

At least sea side people are adapting. Flood and fire victims appear to nearly always rebuild in exactly the same way, in the same place almost every single time. If that person is smart and leaves after they lose everything the next guy comes along, buys the land because it's really cheap and does exactly the same thing as the last guy. Occasionally we hear about some one who trucks in tons of dirt and raises their house enough so the water can't get them and every one seems really impressed by this, like the person is some kind of genius.

Oilpan4 said:
The sea levels have raised around 300 feet since the end of the last ice age. A few more feet isn't going kill everyone. Why do we require the sea level stop rising for us now?

We didn't have cities at sea level at the peak of the last glacial advance. Or population in the billions.

Oilpan4 said:
Flood insurance companies are starting to smarten up refusing to insure buildings on the coast unless they are built a certain way.

Federal flood insurance can't be modified by private insurance companies.

Why are the taxpayers subsidizing rich people's beach houses?

Same reason my house in Hampton was subsidized I was required to get it and no legitimate insurance would cover it for anything any normal person could afford.
We all pay for fool insurance because of lobbyists and special intrest.
I'm good with ending most subsidies that don't benefit everyone and ending all subsidies that reward stupidity and bad decisions.

I think fool insurance makes more sense than flood insurance.

Back