Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
You can see versions in LEAF Spy Pro.

Have that version;
What's new in version 0.45.119
No mention of determining battery resistance.

Remember, you did a test to determine the battery resistance of your 40 kWh last year, and the value wasn't much different
than my 24 kWh 2013. It should have been about 60% (24/40) of the 2013. That indicates that with increasing capacity,
more cells in parallel, the chemistry is such that the battery resistance is basically remaining the same. The test really
needs to be done using an app and not just monitoring the QC data at the initial charge beginning. With the larger Leaf
batteries and more lengthy QC times, battery resistance (heat) becoming more critical.

We'll have to wait for Turbo3 to respond.

more cells in parallel?

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
You can see versions in LEAF Spy Pro.

Have that version;
What's new in version 0.45.119
No mention of determining battery resistance.

Remember, you did a test to determine the battery resistance of your 40 kWh last year, and the value wasn't much different
than my 24 kWh 2013. It should have been about 60% (24/40) of the 2013. That indicates that with increasing capacity,
more cells in parallel, the chemistry is such that the battery resistance is basically remaining the same. The test really
needs to be done using an app and not just monitoring the QC data at the initial charge beginning. With the larger Leaf
batteries and more lengthy QC times, battery resistance (heat) becomes more critical.

We'll have to wait for Turbo3 to respond.

more cells in parallel?

You either add more cells (Nissan pouches) in parallel or increase the Ahr rating of each cell (Nissan pouch) to increase the kWh battery rating.
Presently, all BEV batteries are about 360 volts, so that's a constant.

Hey guys! I’m new to this forum and to leaf spy and honestly, it’s just excellent work. I’ve been playing around with Leaf spy in my friend’s 2016 Leaf 30kwh (SOH=97%, Ah=77.2 and GIDs= 353) and I’m having some difficulty understanding some things. I’ve been searching on this forum for quite some time but I haven’t been able to find a clear explanation.

My friend’s car has an estimated range of 220km on the heads up display(the GOM) at full charge (the car wouldn't charge beyond 97,6%). On leaf spy, on screen 4, my DTE (on the colored graph) is 240 km, which doesn’t make sense (why would it be more than Nissan’s estimated range?? which we already know to be an overestimate).

(In my range settings, I have my “efficiency” in Wh/km, SOC reserved = 0 and the use temperature option ON.)

And then, I’m having difficulty with understanding the other range estimate on the bottom part of the screen. (I read the explanation on the manual but I still didn't understand). Could anyone please explain how it works to me??? Where do they get their efficiencies from? (I've had T@-2 and km --> 0 as -15346 km etc). Does it have any relation to the GOM??

I’d really appreciate it if someone could take the time to explain this.
Thanks a lot! :D

I brought this OBD2 device from banggood https://www.banggood.com/ELM327-WIFI-Wireless-OBD2-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Adapter-p-88187.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

but it's not working with leaf spy. What do I need to do to get it working? If not, where can I get a device that will work with leaf spy?

AndrewWeekes said:
I brought this OBD2 device from banggood https://www.banggood.com/ELM327-WIFI-Wireless-OBD2-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Adapter-p-88187.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

but it's not working with leaf spy. What do I need to do to get it working? If not, where can I get a device that will work with leaf spy?
That WiFi adapter has been changed and no longer works with the Leaf.

The two (actually 3) I now recommend are the LELink/LELink^2 and the Carista.

The LELink/LELink^2 are Bluetooth 4.x LE for both Android and iOS devices. With the LELink^2 having a zero power mode that will be supported for 2011-2017 Leafs. It is not usable on a 2018 or newer Leaf.

The Carista is Bluetooth 4.x LE for iOS devices and standard Bluetooth for Android.

Standard Bluetooth requires pairing.

At last a new updated version of LeafSpy Pro is ready for testing. If you have LeafSpy Pro you can use this link to try it out and give me feedback. There is also an updated PDF of the built-in help.

The major improvements are the support for Gauges which are much better at displaying the rapidly changing data that custom screens allow because they only read data from the Leaf that is being displayed. I have seen update rates of 150 milliseconds on the sample BMS screens that are included in this release.

There is a new Safe Mode (for 2011-2017 Leafs) which should eliminate the relay clicking sound heard when the Leaf is in Sleep mode and LeafSpy Pro tries to communicate with the Leaf.

The Server function has been moved to the background area and continues to run when LeafSpy Pro is in the background or the device is turned off.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Changes are:
- Support for new Android Permissions check at run time.

- LeafSpy Pro - Custom Screen 3 improvements including addition of user defined Gauges to better display fast changing data. Gauges include resettable Lo/Hi markers.

- LeafSpy Pro - Changed HV battery temperature Graph on screen 2 from a simple Bar graph to resettable time graph which also includes plotting ambient temperature.

- Added a "Safe Mode" in Settings/Options to eliminate clicking sound heard when LeafSpy attempts to communicate with a Leaf that has gone into Sleep mode. Not usable on 2018 or newer Leafs. Safe Mode is the default each time LeafSpy is started unless a 2018 or newer Leaf is detect/selected. For 2018 or newer Leafs be sure the correct Model Year is selected on the Settings/Model Year panel.

- Added option in Settings/Options to enable LELink^2 zero power mode for 2011-2017 Leaf. Zero power mode is not compatible with 2018 and newer Leafs.

- Added option in Settings/Logging to allow logging of Cell Voltages to be disabled. This will speed up logging by not reading the 96 cell voltages and shunt values from the Leaf. This is overwritten if the currently displayed screen require displaying cell/shunt data.

- Added option in Settings/Logging to change the default variable separator and decimal separator used in the csv log file from comma and decimal point to semicolon and decimal comma.

- Added Charge Alarm to Settings/Battery.

- Maximum Elevation/Speed graph samples increased from 5000 to 10000 samples.

- Custom screen file menu list is now sorted alphabetically. If current custom screen contains only Gauges the file list may start with an option to resize the current gauge screen if it has been manually adjusted.

- Gauges on custom screens can be manually scaled if the automatic scaling does not produce the optimum scaling.

- Custom screen labels/variables elements now automatically select the font size based on space available and a template specfying how many characters need to be displayed. As a result the "L" type element has been replaced with types "LBL", "VAR", "LV", and "VL".

- For Custom screens, depending on the element type being displayed, the location can be specific relative to the top left corner of the element (-X,-Y) or relative to the center of the element (X, Y).

- Built in help now uses an included true mono space font when graphics are drawn. This gets around the problem that most Android system mono space fonts are not mono space.

- The time it takes to cycle through reading all the data currently being read from the Leaf can be displayed in the lower right status area by selecting the "Hide Connect Status" option in Settings/Screen. This is helpful when evaluating different OBDII adapters for performance or to see the update speed of a custom gauge screen. Time is in seconds.

- Added a header to the Elevation/Speed csv log file.

- Tire pressures can now be read from 2018 and newer Leafs.

- Server function is now a background process. Data continues to be sent to the server even if LeafSpy is running in the background or the device is turned off.

- Hx, Speed (GPS), HV Battery voltage and current are now included in the data sent to the Server.

Welcome back Turbo3 :)

I will check out asap this testversion for android onto my leaf 2018 and keep you informed here.....

Already some remark: the relais clicking noise is also there onto a 2018 Leaf when the car is off (with the last official version) do I think the safe mode you implemented for older leafs is also nessesarry for the 2018 Leaf .

Regards

virol said:

I will check out asap this testversion for android onto my leaf 2018 and keep you informed here.....

Already some remark: the relais clicking noise is also there onto a 2018 Leaf when the car is off (with the last official version) do I think the safe mode you implemented for older leafs is also nessesarry for the 2018 Leaf .

Regards
Safe Mode uses a passive way to detect if the Leaf has been turned on. This is what prevents the clicking when the Leaf is asleep and a connection is attempted.

However, passive mode cannot detect if a 2018 or newer Leaf is on or off. So the active mode must be used which will cause the relay clicking if the Leaf is asleep.

One solution for 2018 and newer Leafs would be to require the user to go through a manual connect step each time they switch to the app. The user would then insure the Leaf is on before attempting to connect to the Leaf. On way to do this would be to require the 2018+ user to go into the OBDII selection menu and select their OBDII device each time they switch to the app.

Right now a connection is automatically attempted whenever LeafSpy is in the foreground. Safe Mode just adds a condition that LeafSpy must detect CAN activity first indicating the Leaf is on.

Turbo3 said:
virol said:

Regards
Safe Mode uses a passive way to detect if the Leaf has been turned on. This is what prevents the clicking when the Leaf is asleep and a connection is attempted.

However, passive mode cannot detect if a 2018 or newer Leaf is on or off. So the active mode must be used which will cause the relay clicking if the Leaf is asleep.

One solution for 2018 and newer Leafs would be to require the user to go through a manual connect step each time they switch to the app. The user would then insure the Leaf is on before attempting to connect to the Leaf. On way to do this would be to require the 2018+ user to go into the OBDII selection menu and select their OBDII device each time they switch to the app.

Right now a connection is automatically attempted whenever LeafSpy is in the foreground. Safe Mode just adds a condition that LeafSpy must detect CAN activity first indicating the Leaf is on.

I understand that from leaf 2018+ there is no more (passive) CAN activity onto the ODB plug.
another approch can be when the leaf is off (asleep) and leafspy begins to poll with active CAN commands AND there is no answer (fi polling the SOH or VIN will not give a valid responce) than instruct leafspy to stop sending active commands to protect the relay clicking and assume the leaf is off..... (showing then a reconnect screen or something)

have a nice we

DaveinOlyWA said:
What does the charge alarm do?
Requested by a user so he can start a charge in the garage and then receive an alarm on his phone when the charge level has reached a preset SOC%. Then he can manually stop the charge. Works best if you use a WiFi OBDII which would have longer range than Bluetooth. Phone can be off because LeafSpy Pro is running in the background (the part of LeafSpy that reads SOC from the Leaf).

virol said:
Turbo3 said:
virol said:

Regards

I understand that from leaf 2018+ there is no more (passive) CAN activity onto the ODB plug.
another approch can be when the leaf is off (asleep) and leafspy begins to poll with active CAN commands AND there is no answer (fi polling the SOH or VIN will not give a valid responce) than instruct leafspy to stop sending active commands to protect the relay clicking and assume the leaf is off..... (showing then a reconnect screen or something)

have a nice we
Yes, that can be done. There is code that handles the timeout when the Leaf does not respond which today delays a few seconds and retries. I can change that code for a 2018+ Leaf so the Service code sets a flag the foreground code can check and then ask the user to turn on the Leaf and press connect to continue. The foreground code can then tell the Service code to retry the command. I will need the message in Japanese, French and German.

The Service code runs all the time (even when the device is off) whereas the foreground code only runs when the app has the screen.

lorenfb said:
Turbo3 had indicated that Pro would have the ability to calculate battery resistance similar to TM-Spy & LeafDD. Can't find it either
noted in the manual nor the app itself. I would like to determine the battery resistance of the 2019 40kWh, and compare to my 2013.
Have I missed it during my search?
Sorry about that. I seem to have forgotten that request so not included in this test release of LeafSpy Pro.

As I recall now, the way it would work is you detect the voltage drop for a given large current increase.

I might see if I can implement this in a custom screen with instructions on how to run the measurement. With all accessories off and starting from a stop then floor it for a few seconds while staying within the posted speed limits. The custom screen would allow for frequent reads of the High Voltage battery volt and current.

Turbo3 said:
lorenfb said:
Turbo3 had indicated that Pro would have the ability to calculate battery resistance similar to TM-Spy & LeafDD. Can't find it either
noted in the manual nor the app itself. I would like to determine the battery resistance of the 2019 40kWh, and compare to my 2013.
Sorry about that. I seem to have forgotten that request so not included in this test release of LeafSpy Pro.

As I recall now, the way it would work is you detect the voltage drop for a given large current increase.

I might see if I can implement this in a custom screen with instructions on how to run the measurement. With all accessories off and starting from a stop then floor it for a few seconds while staying within the posted speed limits. The custom screen would allow for frequent reads of the High Voltage battery volt and current.

Thanks Turbo3 for remembering this topic. I've been able to do the test using LeafSpy as described here;
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28911&start=320#p559503

If you could integrate the few steps used into a single operation, that would simplify the process for others interested in that type of Leaf data.

Here's how you did it for TM-Spy;

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1381783/

The graphic of TM-Spy is more insightful than the simple numeric results.

Greatly appreciate all your efforts to continually improve LeafSpy based on users' requests.

Turbo3 said:
- Added option in Settings/Logging to allow logging of Cell Voltages to be disabled. This will speed up logging by not reading the 96 cell voltages and shunt values from the Leaf. This is overwritten if the currently displayed screen require displaying cell/shunt data.
- The time it takes to cycle through reading all the data currently being read from the Leaf can be displayed in the lower right status area by selecting the "Hide Connect Status" option in Settings/Screen. This is helpful when evaluating different OBDII adapters for performance or to see the update speed of a custom gauge screen. Time is in seconds.
Thank you very much! Hardly waiting to test it on my next trip! ;)

lorenfb said:
Turbo3 said:
lorenfb said:

Thanks Turbo3 for remembering this topic. I've been able to do the test using LeafSpy as described here;

If you could integrate the few steps used into a single operation, that would simplify the process for others interested in that type of Leaf data.

Greatly appreciate all your efforts to continually improve LeafSpy based on users' requests.
After thinking about it I now see you can collect the data to create the graph with this new test version.

Go to the custom Screen 3 and load one of the BMS Grp1 screens. To start the test tap the black circle in the upper left corner and data including the HV Battery Voltage and Current will be saved to a csv file which you can then plot in excel. The data file will be saved in the Custom Screens folder with a name like this "BMS_Grp01_xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv" where xxxxxx will be date/time, part of ViN and device unique information.

This data will be saved at 5 to 7 samples per second so should give you a good graph. Tap the flashing Red dot in upper left corner to stop recording data.

Later I can look at adding a graph element so you can directly plot the graph on a new custom screen 3 get like in TM-Spy.

Turbo3 said:
lorenfb said:
Turbo3 said:

After thinking about it I now see you can collect the data to create the graph with this new test version.

Go to the custom Screen 3 and load one of the BMS Grp1 screens. To start the test tap the black circle in the upper left corner and data including the HV Battery Voltage and Current will be saved to a csv file which you can then plot in excel. The data file will be saved in the Custom Screens folder with a name like this "BMS_Grp01_xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv" where xxxxxx will be date/time, part of ViN and device unique information.

This data will be saved at 5 to 7 samples per second so should give you a good graph. Tap the flashing Red dot in upper left corner to stop recording data.

Later I can look at adding a graph element so you can directly plot the graph on a new custom screen 3 get like in TM-Spy.

Thanks Turbo3. I'll try it in the next few days.

crunchy3d said:
Turbo3 said:
Thank you very much! Hardly waiting to test it on my next trip! ;)

Unfortunately, from updating to beta version I can't get any new Log files. Only TripChrgLog*.csv file is updated with new trips, while Log_*.scv files are not created or new data appended to old file (in the same day, of course).
My settings are (the relevant ones):

Logging:
- Enable Data Logging
- Deselected Log Cell Voltages

No Dropbox or Server

Does anybody get new data written to Log file (have I missed something?)?

crunchy3d said:
Unfortunately, from updating to beta version I can't get any new Log files. Only TripChrgLog*.csv file is updated with new trips, while Log_*.scv files are not created or new data appended to old file (in the same day, of course).

Logging:
- Enable Data Logging

No Dropbox or Server

New info. If "Log Cell Voltages" in menu "Logging" is selected (checkbox is selected), the Log_*.scv file is created. Otherwise Log_*.scv file is not created!
@Turbo3, I suppose it is a bug and Log_*.scv file should be created in both cases, except that cell voltages are not written if the checkbox is not selected?

crunchy3d said:
crunchy3d said:

Logging:
- Enable Data Logging

No Dropbox or Server

New info. If "Log Cell Voltages" in menu "Logging" is selected (checkbox is selected), the Log_*.scv file is created. Otherwise Log_*.scv file is not created!
@Turbo3, I suppose it is a bug and Log_*.scv file should be created in both cases, except that cell voltages are not written if the checkbox is not selected?
Thanks for the additional information that helps.

I implemented this function for the iOS version where I tested it. Then I ported it over to the Android version which I think I did not actually test so I am probably missing a little code when I ported it over.

Should be a quick fix but I am out of town right now so will not be able to test a new version until next week. If I have time I will try to release an untested new test version later today to tomorrow.

Back