Charge a little each day, or longer charges every few days?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
You also should really have at least L-1 charging available at home. That requires only a good, unused or used only by a light or two circuit, 15-20 amp.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a distinction between L-1 and trickle charging? I thought that they were the same--plugging into a normal outlet. I do have that ability at home, although so far I've been able to do my charging at work or in public to save the electricity costs.

zmountin said:
LeftieBiker said:
You also should really have at least L-1 charging available at home. That requires only a good, unused or used only by a light or two circuit, 15-20 amp.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a distinction between L-1 and trickle charging? I thought that they were the same--plugging into a normal outlet. I do have that ability at home, although so far I've been able to do my charging at work or in public to save the electricity costs.

L-1 is the correct term. "Trickle charging" refers to L-1, but there is an implication in the term that it can't fully recharge an EV. It can and will, given enough time.

L1 refers to charging voltage of 120 volts. Still the current can range from 6 to 20+ amps.

There is no trickle charge or float charge with lithium. The charger turns off and disconnects when done. Charging is faster or slower but not really referred to as a "trickle charge" as is commonly known for a lead-acid battery.

Back