SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Leaf and heat

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:57 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Dupe deleted and thanks for the Prime info. Better than no active cooling but still not much use if the car is parked in hot weather.
The car gives the owner the option of turning on A/C while charging (this is an L2 only car.) I don't think the air cooling would suffice for a BEV (and most certainly not for DCFC) but I think it does the job adequately for the Prime.
---------
I saw 8 temp bars on the LEAF today -- first time ever ... after DCFC to 80%.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

gero

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Not sure if this the place to post this question, but here I go! I live in North Dallas and am looking at a 2014 Leaf S, 40k miles, and L2 adapter for about 8k. Owner claims car has 11 bars, blah, blah, but I plan to use Spy Leaf to see if this looks good (still, no guarantees here, right?). Anyway, taking into account charge-at-night in garage, hot summers, and some cold days, will this car last 3 years for my 40-mile-a-day total commute?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 pm

gero wrote:Not sure if this the place to post this question, but here I go! I live in North Dallas and am looking at a 2014 Leaf S, 40k miles, and L2 adapter for about 8k. Owner claims car has 11 bars, blah, blah, but I plan to use Spy Leaf to see if this looks good (still, no guarantees here, right?). Anyway, taking into account charge-at-night in garage, hot summers, and some cold days, will this car last 3 years for my 40-mile-a-day total commute?
If it has a full 11 bars (dropped one just in the last few months) then probably. If not, and it loses another bar a year in your hot climate...maybe. Keep the battery as cool as possible, and avoid Quick Charging when the battery is very warm or hot (7 temp bars or more).
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:31 pm

gero wrote: will this car last 3 years for my 40-mile-a-day total commute?
What kind of miles are your commute miles?

Freeway, side streets, a mix, or a reasonable choice between freeway and other routes?

How fast you drive matters a lot for how far you can go.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

gero

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 am

WetEV wrote:
gero wrote: will this car last 3 years for my 40-mile-a-day total commute?
What kind of miles are your commute miles?

Freeway, side streets, a mix, or a reasonable choice between freeway and other routes?

How fast you drive matters a lot for how far you can go.
Commute is actually 17 miles each way, side streets (no highways), and at an average speed of 35-ish mph--been doing this commute for 10 years in my Prius 2010!
Last edited by gero on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

gero

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:46 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
gero wrote:Not sure if this the place to post this question, but here I go! I live in North Dallas and am looking at a 2014 Leaf S, 40k miles, and L2 adapter for about 8k. Owner claims car has 11 bars, blah, blah, but I plan to use Spy Leaf to see if this looks good (still, no guarantees here, right?). Anyway, taking into account charge-at-night in garage, hot summers, and some cold days, will this car last 3 years for my 40-mile-a-day total commute?
If it has a full 11 bars (dropped one just in the last few months) then probably. If not, and it loses another bar a year in your hot climate...maybe. Keep the battery as cool as possible, and avoid Quick Charging when the battery is very warm or hot (7 temp bars or more).
I'd have to look at the car and see what the battery health is using the app--still, no guarantees on that since the info can be reset. The owner states, "Total life charge capacity is still at 11 out of the maximum 12 bars. Total range is 85-90 miles." Owner is in Texas.

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:02 am

You might also check out carmax and carvana - I thought carmax had slightly better prices. I was originally looking for a 2015 used and they were around 9-10k at car max at the time (a few months back). Turned out I got lucky and got a new 2018 leftover for a great price, but car max was a good option as they can move stuff around for you if you are willing.

Oddly though about 4 months ago there was a glut of used on the sites and now there is a lot less. I don't know what happened.

The carmax salesman had no issue with me plugging in leafspy to check their vehicles.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:31 pm

gero wrote:Commute is actually 17 miles each way, side streets (no highways), and at an average speed of 35-ish mph--been doing this commute for 10 years in my Prius 2010!
Ah, that's a good commute for the LEAF. Yet I am usually skeptical.

11 bars is roughly 80% to 85% of the battery. Reserve the bottom 20% for sanity's sake, and you have about 60% of the original usable battery for the commute. That is about 12.6 kWh, assuming the car is about to drop a bar.

Assuming even in cold weather you can probably get over 3.5 mile per kWh, need about 9.7kWh at worst. So you are fine, this year.

Battery capacity has lost 3% to 4% per year. 5 year old car, down 15% to 20%. Assuming 4%, next year you might have 76%, year after 72%, year after 68%, and so on.

In year 3, reserving the bottom 20%, this leaves just 48%. This is about 10kWh. Still OK, and with a 20 percent safety margin.

DCQCs are only needed for longer trips. Unneeded for commute.

Things to watch.

Do find covered or shaded parking at work, if you can.
Check your garage temperatures. If much warmer than outside, add insulation and ventilation as needed to reduce temperatures.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

gero

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:41 pm

WetEV wrote:
gero wrote:Commute is actually 17 miles each way, side streets (no highways), and at an average speed of 35-ish mph--been doing this commute for 10 years in my Prius 2010!
Ah, that's a good commute for the LEAF. Yet I am usually skeptical.

11 bars is roughly 80% to 85% of the battery. Reserve the bottom 20% for sanity's sake, and you have about 60% of the original usable battery for the commute. That is about 12.6 kWh, assuming the car is about to drop a bar.

Assuming even in cold weather you can probably get over 3.5 mile per kWh, need about 9.7kWh at worst. So you are fine, this year.

Battery capacity has lost 3% to 4% per year. 5 year old car, down 15% to 20%. Assuming 4%, next year you might have 76%, year after 72%, year after 68%, and so on.

In year 3, reserving the bottom 20%, this leaves just 48%. This is about 10kWh. Still OK, and with a 20 percent safety margin.

DCQCs are only needed for longer trips. Unneeded for commute.

Things to watch.

Do find covered or shaded parking at work, if you can.
Check your garage temperatures. If much warmer than outside, add insulation and ventilation as needed to reduce temperatures.
Makes total sense! Thanks so much for the excellent advise. :)

gero

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm

danrjones wrote:You might also check out carmax and carvana - I thought carmax had slightly better prices. I was originally looking for a 2015 used and they were around 9-10k at car max at the time (a few months back). Turned out I got lucky and got a new 2018 leftover for a great price, but car max was a good option as they can move stuff around for you if you are willing.

Oddly though about 4 months ago there was a glut of used on the sites and now there is a lot less. I don't know what happened.

The carmax salesman had no issue with me plugging in leafspy to check their vehicles.
Will check with them!

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”