2014 Sentra fuel gauge question.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powersurge

I think it is great that you go on an electric car forum to as questions about a gas powered cars gas tank issue!!!

Well, the "empty gas tank issue" has been around for a very long time.. I would say 60+ years. Auto makers do not want to get complaints that their cars run out of gas and strand their customers.

Also, the saying goes that "Nothing is fool proof because fools are so ingenious..." I think this issue is especially true nowadays, when we see digital displays, and expect exact levels of precision.... So my explanation is as follows.

The fuel gauge is not a precision instrument, it gives a "general indication" of how much gas is in the tank. In addition to it not being a precision instrument, the car companies have ALWAYS built in an extra number of gallons AFTER it shows empty. This is so that those silly drivers that don't think that fuel gauges apply to them can reasonably get to a distant gas station before the car dies of starvation...

Be happy that you have those extra gallons for an emergency some day... Either way, you should never let the gauge go below 1/4.... It is not good for the gas tank, and not good for the fuel pump that relies on a full tank of gas to cool it.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
Topic moved to Off-Topic forum.
Via Bing, I found the same post at https://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=18683.

If you need to nuke this thread, you have my permission to nuke my post.

Ok, folks, this thread is getting deleted because the OP is a spammer, unless anyone wants their posts to stay, with no context, and powersurge as the new OP. Thanks, Cwerdna.

powersurge said:
The fuel gauge is not a precision instrument, it gives a "general indication" of how much gas is in the tank. In addition to it not being a precision instrument, the car companies have ALWAYS built in an extra number of gallons AFTER it shows empty.

Not the Germans, or at least VW Group. When that gauge reads "E" it really is E. Don't ask me how I know....

powersurge said:
In addition to it not being a precision instrument, the car companies have ALWAYS built in an extra number of gallons AFTER it shows empty. This is so that those silly drivers that don't think that fuel gauges apply to them can reasonably get to a distant gas station before the car dies of starvation...
I once owned a Plymouth Valiant where the gas gauge would show Empty when there was a quarter tank left. Car had several other ... issues.

Back