What's the real story with US oil/gasoline supply security

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember the shortages and waited in line plenty of times.

More to do with Nixon getting the US off the gold standard for controlling the value of the dollar. Dollar lost value and price of imported crude went up. Nixon imposed price cap on gasoline and the "shortage" began. All the while tankers were lined up to unload once the price was able to float.

The attempt of OPEC to sanction the US and prevent selling to the US was a farce. Just political drama.

I think most people were frustrated but took it in stride as the memory of rationing basic foods, metals and fuels was still a memory from WW2.

Not going to happen exactly like that again. US has not seen such a crisis since and I don't see it happening again except for large scale war.

cwerdna said:
There were apparently two oil crises: in 1973 and 1979 per https://www.britannica.com/topic/oil-crisis.

Could have been as late as 1979. I was in school 1977-1981, and I did have several college jobs before and after the gas station one:

Ice cream delivery; Milk delivery; Gas station attendant; Sales in a specialty retail shop (blue jeans).

My favorite job was milk delivery. The start was tough (3am) but we got done early in the day; the pay was fantastic for a college kid; we occasionally got breakfast (usually a bacon or sausage sandwich) out of one or more of the hotel kitchens we delivered to; and my boss on the milk float (see google) was a cool dude who let me drive a lot of the time (my first experience with electrified vehicles!).

cwerdna said:
^^^
On that, note, I guess https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citicar would've been one of those science experiments. I hadn't heard of the Comutacar until someone else posted about it here on MNL. I'd previously seen pic of it elsewhere (like as someone's avatar on another forum, possibly Priuschat) but had no idea what it was....

Yep, EVs were much more prominent in magazine articles of the time than they were on the roads. As one might imagine, most of the technical approaches to electric drive trains were fairly obvious (AC motors, regenerative braking and the like). In fact, it goes back considerably further; you can find articles in Popular Mechanics and Popular Science going back to the 1950's. The ideas got re-examined in the light of the oil crises. But tiny fiberglass "punishment cars" pushing the limits of Lead-acid batteries didn't appeal to any but the most eccentric. The world was simply awaiting better batteries. There were exotic ideas like molten-salt batteries, but that was never going to be a thing.

cwerdna said:
^^^
On that, note, I guess https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citicar would've been one of those science experiments. I hadn't heard of the Comutacar until someone else posted about it here on MNL. I'd previously seen pic of it elsewhere (like as someone's avatar on another forum, possibly Priuschat) but had no idea what.

You saw mine, it was my avatar here and on Priuschat until this forum disabled avitars (I think my entire account was deleted along with it and I had to sign up again)

This is still the only forum I’m aware of that is extremely punitive in its interface,
(text only in 2019, who would figure?)
heck you log out and you can’t even effectively view the forum.

Anyway.
After I got a Volt I changed my avitar to the 100miles @180mpg avitar at priuschat

My avatar is still a c-car at ecomodder as I still own the car, due to insurance and licensing fiascos I may have to get it back on the road full time and “thin the herd” since owning more than 1 car is going to get very expensive in a few months.

SageBrush said:
rmay635703 said:

I prefer it being an evil spirit rather than the other thing, also my autocorrect seems to like both.

avitar
An evil spirit, in ancient times, often hid in fake bodies to diquise themselves as Gods. False Idol biblical reference Not a good thing. Modern day people use fake images on technological devices, to disquise themselves as people who they are not, rather than being themselves

rmay635703 said:
SageBrush said:
rmay635703 said:

I prefer it being an evil spirit rather than the other thing

avitar
An evil spirit, in ancient times, often hid in fake bodies to diquise themselves as Gods. False Idol biblical reference Not a good thing. Modern day people use fake images on technological devices, to disquise themselves as people who they are not, rather than being themselves
I didn't know that avitar was a word. Thanks

Back