Subaru Crosstrek PHEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'PZEV' that Subaru began putting on many of its cars sometime last decade was to indicate that they met CARB's PZEV requirement.
A partial zero emission vehicle, in the United States, is an automobile that has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system, has a 15-year (or at least 150,000-mile) warranty on its emission-control components, and meets SULEV tailpipe-emission standards.[1]

In California, PZEVs have their own administrative category for low-emission vehicles. The category was made in a bargain between automakers and the California Air Resources Board (CARB), so that automobile makers could delay making mandated zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs)—battery electric and fuel-cell electric vehicles.

The Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) standard is more stringent than the Ultra Low Emission Vehicle and low-emission vehicle standards. All emissions-related components, including the electric-propulsion parts of hybrid electric vehicles, must be warranteed for 15 years or 150,000 miles. . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_zero-emissions_vehicle

I don't remember if my 2003 Forester (the first year of the 2nd Gen.) pre-dated the standard or if they made changes to subsequent MY (or completed the 15 year/150k emissions cert late, as was the case with the Volt in its first year) so that it did, but mine lacks the PZEV badge, and later Foresters of the same generation have it.

As for the comment that Subaru is not a leader in fuel economy, they've been usually at or near the top of the list when it comes to AWD cars, despite not being HEVs, all of this with an R&D budget that's minuscule compared to say Toyota. None of which improves my opinion of the Crosstrek (P)HEV, as I remain unimpressed, but fair's fair.

LeftieBiker said:
You have to use the "url" code instead.

Weird. I used the url code first and it just showed up with the tags and no video so I switched to the [YouTube] one, which did the same thing. I figured if I posted, someone would figure it out.

I actually messaged this Alex guy on Facebook to ask when/where the Crosstrek would be available and he said it would be a while before they're in dealers' showrooms. That's basically what all the dealers have been saying. I'm just going to wait for this and the Volvo XC40 before making any decision. There may be some more PHEV small SUV's coming out before year-end, too. This article https://insideevs.com/mercedes-benz-launch-10-phevs-2019/ says Mercedes will have 10 different PHEV models by the end of 2019.

LeftieBiker said:
You have to use the "url" code instead.

Weird. I used the url code first and it just showed up with the tags and no video so I switched to the [YouTube] one, which did the same thing. I figured if I posted, someone would figure it out.

The preview screen only shows the html, not the actual function being invoked. It really doesn't make much sense, as I also recall using the youtube option successfully...

^^^ The usual excellent review from Alex. I wish I liked the car better, but the sub-20 mile AER combined with the loss of cargo height and lack of spare tire or room for one make it a non-starter for me. I did like the comparos, esp. with the Outlander, as Alex has the same issues with that car that I do. He tested the pre-2019 version; I'd like for him to test the 2019 to see if that's enough of an improvement, although the MPG still eliminates it from consideration for me - my 16 year old Forester gets better Hwy mpg.

Capitol Subaru (San Jose) called me yesterday to let me know they finally had some Crosstrek PHEVs in. I asked if I could test drive one today and was told yes. I showed up there this morning at the appointed time. The salesman told me "You know there's a $5,000 markup over MSRP, and that's non-negotiable, right?" I'll skip the rest of the conversation, but in short I said no, but I was promised a test drive. The salesman left to get the keys to another car blocking it, left me standing in the rain and wind for 10 minutes, then sent a young saleswoman out. She told me they wouldn't let me test drive it unless I agreed in advance to pay $5K over MSRP. I could have agreed, done the test drive, then walked away, but I didn't want to do business with them so I left. The salesman told me the reason for the markup was because it was the only one available. Basically, because they can. I still like the look and the features. Even with the markup, it's cheaper than the other things I'm looking at like the Volvo XC60 PHEV, but I figure if I wait 4 - 6 months there will be a lot more in the showrooms and no $5K markup. There's supposed to be an XC40 PHEV coming out soon, too.

Does the prime use a CVT or a powersplit device? Does the Subaru use the same transmission as the Prime? And when did CR become more conservative regarding EVs than Automotive Weekly...?

Note several people in the comment section complained of this and I was also taken back by the last sentence of the article:
"We’ll see whether it has the goods to compete with the Toyota RAV4 hybrid, which we're also testing. That SUV has a similar price, but it doesn’t need to be plugged in."
but otherwise, I think it's an OK, but not very informative article.
My main complaints of the Crosstrek PHEV are the limited range, 30 miles EV would have been much more useful IMO, I would have preferred better ICE MPG for trips, 35mpg is OK but great and I also don't like the measly 3.6?? KWh charger. I mean basically all public L2 EVSEs are 30a or 7KWh so why not take advantage of that. They state with a depleted battery the fastest L2 charging would take about 2.25h, at 1+h(with a 7KWh charger) one could fully charge the battery in the time it takes to do the weekly grocery shopping or such. I rarely do regular shopping for more than 2hrs, this would have cost Suburu very little to implement IMO and for a $35k+ car should really have been standard, but generally isn't in PHEVs :(
I'm also not too happy the PHEV is only available on the top top trim model but I guess Nissan also did this with the Leaf and did come out with the "S" 3 years later, hopefully Subaru will do something similar if the Corsstrek is still around.
Lastly, I'm not really sure what they meant by this:
" Once the all-electric miles are used up, the SUV acts like a regular hybrid, switching back and forth between gas and electric power as conditions warrant. The Crosstrek plug-in hybrid can glide along on battery assist up to around 20 mph."
So with a depleted battery you still have battery power, but only up to 20mph? I wonder if it has a reserve not available for straight EV use but can just be used to assist the ICE??
I'm not even going to get into the fact that Subaru PHEV is only available in a limited number of states so for me it would be a moot point unless Subaru changes their mind :x

Agree on all of the above. The non-PHEV Prius is pretty much the same: it will run on the motors only at speeds up to maybe 50MPH, but only briefly, under very low loads, not as an EV.

I have no problem with CR's take, as anyone considering a PHEV may also be interested in an HEV, if that fits better (it would for me given my use case as far as GHGs and TCO, even though I'd prefer a PHEV). And I've previously noted that the Crosstrek, whether ICE, HEV or PHEV, has never struck me as a particularly noteworthy vehicle, and the PHEV is pretty much a minimum change first-effort, much like the C-Max Energi. In short, they can and should do much better on a second go-around, but it will be the BEV that they're doing with Toyota that should really be a clean sheet approach and allow them to dispense with many of the compromises made on the Crosstrek PHEV. We'll see whether that occurs.

As to CVTs, I hate them with a passion, and if I've got to have a slushbox at least give it some gears.

GRA said:
As to CVTs, I hate them with a passion, and if I've got to have a slushbox at least give it some gears.

I have the opposite opinion. I always hated automatic transmissions until I drove a CVT. If I'm not directly controlling what the transmission does, I much prefer smooth, continuous adjustments to clunky gear shifts. The availability of maximum power at any speed over 50 km/h instead of having flat spots when one gear is too short and the next is too tall is nice too.

Of course, an electric motor that gets rid of the need clutches or viscous couplings and multiple ratios altogether is a big improvement over any slow to react ICE transmission. I'd love to see Subaru one-up Mitsubishi with a PHEV Outback or Ascent that retains the full capabilities of the ICE version, including the trailer tow rating, and combines that with the instant response and regenerative braking capabilities of an EV.

LeftieBiker said:
Many CVTs now simulate shifts.
Yes, and the best are approaching adequate, but if they need to simulate shifts why not just do them? It's the over-revving and droning of CVTs that get to me, but then I drive a stick, so having the engine under my more or less direct control is what I'm used to (and want, which is why I'm a fan of regen on paddles).

Back