Reset Capacity Bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very roughly, I'd say ~95%. And Hx tends to diverge more (at least in the 24kwh packs) as more time and miles pass between full charges. The balance chart in LeafSpy would probably be pretty ragged. Has this car has the 30kwh BMS software update?

BuckMkII said:
I don't know...that's a pretty big delta between the SOH and the Hx, isn't it? If Hx recalibrates faster than SOH as stated above in this thread, wouldn't this be a sign of a reset? Mine bounce around a bit, but the biggest difference I can find is < 6%. It's usually about 5% over the last six months, up from a couple % when I first got the car.

Anyone have a prediction of what the SOH *should* be after sitting on the lot (probably at 100% SOC) for over a year, then two years of normal service in that climate?

A lot of cars here have quite a big variance. TBT; there is no one that really knows what Hx is or what it means when it starts to stray from the rest of the numbers. Sometimes, top end balancing helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Leaf15 said:
arnis said:
Whoever is buying second-hand Leaf should test the range on highway.
It only takes an hour :)
So true, highway (>50 mph) would kill any EV with high Cd > 0.24 in no time. Low Cd EVs rule on highway.
CD isn't everything. CD X Cross Section = Drag. I wonder why no one publishes their cross section numbers or total drag at a given speed ( 60m/h)?

johnlocke said:
CD isn't everything. CD X Cross Section = Drag. I wonder why no one publishes their cross section numbers or total drag at a given speed ( 60m/h)?
Correct, but Cd is commonly accepted criteria when comparing. That is all we have or they disclose to us. It is still the most important parameter of overall aerodynamic design. The Cross Section comes in play when modifications are made to increase or reduce standard configuration cross section. Like upgrading 16-to-17 tires - would increase cross section, downgrading 16-to-15 will reduce it and etc. Some folks may find it difficult to understand because of they think the tire outer diameter stays almost the same. The inefficiency drop comes from the fact you have to put wider tires to compensate for side wall height reduction and it increases cross section. It is the most critical though in EV as range takes way more time to extend by more frequent re-charging unlike in ICE. That is when I see EV adaptation of the existing ICE car it is just failure from the get go. Only good for city driving, forget about highways.

I needed no proof of poor aerodynamics of Leaf once I got it above 55 mph - that is pretty much the end of the range, get ready to half it. And God forbid to have a head wind, butt wind helps a bit. Nothing wrong with Leaf, I think it was design for city dwellers and it is pretty good at it. But as they put bigger and bigger batteries I am not sure what they are trying to achieve - it would never be reasonable on the highway without major redesign and this is where long range matters. Perhaps, they think of Taxi in the city to consume this range at relatively low speeds.

But as they put bigger and bigger batteries I am not sure what they are trying to achieve - it would never be reasonable on the highway without major redesign and this is where long range matters.

The did lower the 2018 by 2", and I THINK they made the wheel wells smaller. At any rate it seems more efficient at 60-65MPH than the original Leaf.

johnlocke said:
Leaf15 said:
arnis said:
Whoever is buying second-hand Leaf should test the range on highway.
It only takes an hour :)
So true, highway (>50 mph) would kill any EV with high Cd > 0.24 in no time. Low Cd EVs rule on highway.
I know the CdA for the Model 3, Model S, Prius Prime and Bolt, although I cannot remember where I got them from. More data is available from the web; I remember a car magazine reporting a comparo of a couple of cars that also included the Prius and Model S, amongst others.

There was some nice convenient tech specs table with Cd of the EVs, but I lost track of it too. Tesla Cd are <= .24, Ionic .24 and Leaf Cd .29 it is the same as most cross-overs and similar to e-tron, bolt, i-pace, Soul, Kona, Niro EVs. Sedans Cd ~ .28 usually.

Hi, I'm posting a new question in this thread.

I purchased a new 2018 Leaf SV. Got a nice $11,500 discount and hopefully most of the $7500 tax credit next year.
It had 550 miles and was sitting in the lot for the past year or so.

My leafspy is saying SOH is 95.89%. Does this seem ok? i was expecting something in the 98-100 range for being new.

Also not sure the last time it was charged up to 100%. I drove it home at 97% SOC. So i'm wondering if i should charge it up to 100% to rebalance and see if my SOC goes up?

Lw4nier said:
Hi, I'm posting a new question in this thread.

I purchased a new 2018 Leaf SV. Got a nice $11,500 discount and hopefully most of the $7500 tax credit next year.
It had 550 miles and was sitting in the lot for the past year or so.

My leafspy is saying SOH is 95.89%. Does this seem ok? i was expecting something in the 98-100 range for being new.

Also not sure the last time it was charged up to 100%. I drove it home at 97% SOC. So i'm wondering if i should charge it up to 100% to rebalance and see if my SOC goes up?

Please put your location in your profile.

Charging to 100% isn't usually necessary, and leaving the battery at 100% reduces life.

The first 5% loss is quicker than the later loss. The car loses capacity while sitting, especially if sitting at near 100% SOC.

SOC as read by LeafSpy is true SOC, and there is a top buffer, so 97% is expected.

So are you saying a 95% SOH is reasonable on a brand new 2018 Nissan Leaf with 550 miles?
I'm just concerned my SOH is low for a new 2018. Granted it has been sitting for several months at the dealer and i'm not sure if it was sitting on a 100% SOC.
Thanks!

The only simple solution is to discharge Leaf fully (till zero, killing the rest of energy by the heater) and then to use a pulse balance algorithm (available, for example, at any evtun.com charger).
In most cases, it helps, but the gain is not huge.
My father's car (2016, 30kWh) gained +2,8 SOH. Luckily one bar of SOH gain at the dash, so now there is 11.

Back