DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:34 am

Triggerhappy007 wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote: This makes transitioning from previous LEAF to newer LEAF a bit of a challenge especially since LBW and VLBW have changed.
Can you give us more insight on the LBW and VLBW on your 2018 Leaf? At what SOC will get you into turtle mode?
Turtle mode is voltage triggered so SOC will vary depending on pack balance. Obviously the best method is start your trip planning at the beginning of the drive so instead of driving 70 for 100 miles and 55 for 50 miles, you can just drive 65 for the entire 150 miles. This is where LEAF Spy excels. As far as the "last mile?" kwh remaining will help with that as long as you remember the last .3 - .6 kwh is not usable.

First warning or VLB comes on around 87 GIDs /6.7 kwh remaining or 9% SOC (dash) 17% SOC (LS) *blinking GOM*

VLBW at 61 GIDs/ 4.7 kwh 12.2% SOC (LS) * "_ _ _"* GOM

Then we have a new warning at 45-48 GIDs where the SOC meter goes to "_ _ _" Notice this new warning happens with same remaining range the 24/30 kwh LEAFs went to VLB?

Some pix

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... -leaf.html
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:49 pm

I did my first Chademo yesterday (my 13 didn't have the feature). The Nissan Dealer's system would provide a pretty consistant 41kWh, which brought me from 30% to 80% is about 42 minutes. Battery temp only went up from about 40% to midpoint on the charge. I don't know if that is consistent or not consistent with charge-gate concerns. I had been driving the car for about 40 minutes at primarily highway speeds prior to the charge. The great part of charging at the dealer is that you can stop in and have a snack while you wait. Still surprised dealers haven't started snack bars/coffee stations for a fee to monetize the increasing traffic on drivers on transit. It could also be a way to offset some declining service revenue.

Are there any 100kW ChadeMo chargers on either the east or west coast yet. I would think that EA would want to run 100 kW chargers to sell the higher power rates.

Still loving the car. In my 13 mile commute this morning in slow hwy traffic, was above 6 miles/kWh which always feels like your range is amazing. (13+ miles in 3% charge though that is anything but scientific)
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:17 am

Does anyone have the Gids/remaining KW/Actual SOC for low and very low battery warning for the Leaf Plus. Expecting to be rolling in on fumes today, and don’t have spy with me.

Ran 223 miles, all but about 15 on the freeway/tollway. Pulled in with 10% left (29 miles on GOM 4.4 overall efficiency). No low battery warnings yet at that stage. Maybe trying 250 today. Want to know how much below 0 there is to Turtle.

Thanks
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Just finished a 2 day run to / from Iowa (from Chicago north side). I took my son on a tour of Iowa and Iowa state.

We did the run to Iowa City from Chicago in one shot. Dash said 4.3 miles /kWh though ev connect said 4.4 for the 223 miles. We did well on the the first stretch between 55 and 60 around Chicago at 4.5 m/kWh. Then as we headed west leaving the burbs efficiency dropped. Not sure if we had head winds, but even at 55-57mph average efficiency slowly dropped to 4.1 over the next 60 or so miles. I started to get a bit nervous as 4 miles/kEh was the mark. I wanted to be sure to stay above for make it to Iowa City. As we got to the west of the state somehow things got better and with a bit more traffic enjoyed some efficiency driving in a pack of cars. Between the west side of IL and Iowa city, my speed picked up to 63-65 and efficiency went up to 4.2 then 4.3, adding back that buffer. Pulled into a level 2 at 10% and 29 miles on the GOM.

We charged during the tour and left at 82% for Ames. This section was 128 miles. With the large rolling hills in central Iowa, efficiency suffered (it was hot, so was running AC as well).
4.2 m/kWh average. Speeds of 55-65 mph. Pulled in with 26%

In Ames, we tricked charged overnight at the hotel, then left the car in the morning at one of the very few Level 2 Chargepoint stations in town during the tour of Iowa state.

We left Iowa State with nearly a full charge (blazing hot in the 90s) and drove wistfully to the Williamsburg EA Chademo. Even through it was only 97 miles, between ac and faster speeds, I thought that that this was the one section I would not have to sweat efficiency, we arrived at in the mid 50s. I had seen on PlugShare that another leaf had had problems a few days before, but was crossing fingers it was resolved. Sure enough, it couldn’t initiate a charge. EA gave me a free session for my troubles.

The original plan was to make a careful 250 mile trek back from there in one shot. As plan A was toast, we stopped for 30 minutes at the chargers outside Iowa city at the ACT headquarters, 27 miles from Williamsburg. We had 4.9 efficiency for that part, all highway. They have 3 strong clipper creek chargers. We added the range (from 46 to 53%) as it was 80 miles the plan B Chademo at Geneseo IL. In spite of heavy rain, we made the 80 mile drive at an efficiency of 4.5 and 17% left on the dash. It was enough to go back to Davenport if plan B failed.

Plan B worked, we gave a sigh of relief, and left it charge for an hour while we had dinner. The Chademo charged at 53KW which was great. Somewhere between 80 and 90 the rate dropped to 20KW/h. Thanks EA for the $18 free charge. We unplugged at 90 and made the 160 mile run back home. At 90% we had ample range, so enjoyed AC and 70+mph speeds. It said 4 miles/kWh efficiency, but that was buoyed by the 55 mph speed limit around 294 and a few local miles at the end.

All in all a successful trip over the 2 days of 718 miles. Using the EV cost is about 15 minutes of extra travel time on the way out and an extra hour on the way back due to the broken Chademo (plan A was going to be 30 min slower due to reduced travel speeds to mAke the 250 mile journey), so over the 2 days I would say about an hour and 1/2 of extra time over an ICE. The hour Chademo, we would have stopped for dinner in any case, so didn’t see that as extra time. Total power costs for the trip were $5.40 from Ames. Iowa city charging ended up being free. The leaf did well, though 1 month in to this leaf Iam looking forward to my 2024 100 KW Leaf ++. That said, it’s a great feeling to be able to do 3-
+ hours of highway driving at one time. My 13 Leaf could barely do more then 1.

EA on my support call they took down (again) the concern regarding a single Chademo for remote locations. If the stations had 2 I would feel a lot better about a bigger trip like going to Denver. I don’t think I would try in a 40KW though.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

lorenfb
Posts: 2253
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:21 am

DougWantsALeaf wrote:Just finished a 2 day run to / from Iowa (from Chicago north side). I took my son on a tour of Iowa and Iowa state.

We did the run to Iowa City from Chicago in one shot. Dash said 4.3 miles /kWh though ev connect said 4.4 for the 223 miles. We did well on the the first stretch between 55 and 60 around Chicago at 4.5 m/kWh. Then as we headed west leaving the burbs efficiency dropped. Not sure if we had head winds, but even at 55-57mph average efficiency slowly dropped to 4.1 over the next 60 or so miles. I started to get a bit nervous as 4 miles/kEh was the mark. I wanted to be sure to stay above for make it to Iowa City. As we got to the west of the state somehow things got better and with a bit more traffic enjoyed some efficiency driving in a pack of cars. Between the west side of IL and Iowa city, my speed picked up to 63-65 and efficiency went up to 4.2 then 4.3, adding back that buffer. Pulled into a level 2 at 10% and 29 miles on the GOM.

We charged during the tour and left at 82% for Ames. This section was 128 miles. With the large rolling hills in central Iowa, efficiency suffered (it was hot, so was running AC as well).
4.2 m/kWh average. Speeds of 55-65 mph. Pulled in with 26%

In Ames, we tricked charged overnight at the hotel, then left the car in the morning at one of the very few Level 2 Chargepoint stations in town during the tour of Iowa state.

We left Iowa State with nearly a full charge (blazing hot in the 90s) and drove wistfully to the Williamsburg EA Chademo. Even through it was only 97 miles, between ac and faster speeds, I thought that that this was the one section I would not have to sweat efficiency, we arrived at in the mid 50s. I had seen on PlugShare that another leaf had had problems a few days before, but was crossing fingers it was resolved. Sure enough, it couldn’t initiate a charge. EA gave me a free session for my troubles.

The original plan was to make a careful 250 mile trek back from there in one shot. As plan A was toast, we stopped for 30 minutes at the chargers outside Iowa city at the ACT headquarters, 27 miles from Williamsburg. We had 4.9 efficiency for that part, all highway. They have 3 strong clipper creek chargers. We added the range (from 46 to 53%) as it was 80 miles the plan B Chademo at Geneseo IL. In spite of heavy rain, we made the 80 mile drive at an efficiency of 4.5 and 17% left on the dash. It was enough to go back to Davenport if plan B failed.

Plan B worked, we gave a sigh of relief, and left it charge for an hour while we had dinner. The Chademo charged at 53KW which was great. Somewhere between 80 and 90 the rate dropped to 20KW/h. Thanks EA for the $18 free charge. We unplugged at 90 and made the 160 mile run back home. At 90% we had ample range, so enjoyed AC and 70+mph speeds. It said 4 miles/kWh efficiency, but that was buoyed by the 55 mph speed limit around 294 and a few local miles at the end.

All in all a successful trip over the 2 days of 718 miles. Using the EV cost is about 15 minutes of extra travel time on the way out and an extra hour on the way back due to the broken Chademo (plan A was going to be 30 min slower due to reduced travel speeds to mAke the 250 mile journey), so over the 2 days I would say about an hour and 1/2 of extra time over an ICE. The hour Chademo, we would have stopped for dinner in any case, so didn’t see that as extra time. Total power costs for the trip were $5.40 from Ames. Iowa city charging ended up being free. The leaf did well, though 1 month in to this leaf Iam looking forward to my 2024 100 KW Leaf ++. That said, it’s a great feeling to be able to do 3-
+ hours of highway driving at one time. My 13 Leaf could barely do more then 1.

EA on my support call they took down (again) the concern regarding a single Chademo for remote locations. If the stations had 2 I would feel a lot better about a bigger trip like going to Denver. I don’t think I would try in a 40KW though.
Battery temps at various points would've been insightful, even via the Leaf temp gauge.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:36 am

Loren

Thank you for the point. We left with Battery at midpoint from Chicago. It was one notch above midpoint as we left from Iowa City and 70% in way to first high temp bar as we left Ames.

The Chademo session warmed the battery to the the first high temp mark on the gauge. It didn’t seem to impact charging time at Chademo as we it seemed to stay at the 53KW speed for most of the charge. I assumed the drop to 20 KW was because we were approaching 90% Charge.

The ride home was in upper 80s. We used air most of the way home. Battery stayed at the high temp marker for the entire ride home.

Sorry, didn’t have spy with me, so don’t have the actual temps, just the gauge.

Guessing the higher temp slightly reduced efficiency on last leg, but at 70-72 mph I can’t complain about still getting near 4 miles per kWh.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

lorenfb
Posts: 2253
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:08 am

DougWantsALeaf wrote:Loren

Thank you for the point. We left with Battery at midpoint from Chicago.

It was one notch above midpoint as we left from Iowa City and 70% in way to first high temp bar as we left Ames.

The Chademo session warmed the battery to the the first high temp mark on the gauge. It didn’t seem to impact charging time at Chademo as we it seemed to stay at the 53KW speed for most of the charge. I assumed the drop to 20 KW was because we were approaching 90% Charge.

The ride home was in upper 80s. We used air most of the way home. Battery stayed at the high temp marker for the entire ride home.

Sorry, didn’t have spy with me, so don’t have the actual temps, just the gauge.

Guessing the higher temp slightly reduced efficiency on last leg, but at 70-72 mph I can’t complain about still getting near 4 miles per kWh.
1. about 80F
2. about 90F
3. about 120F
4. about 120F, not good
5. The drive home at 70-72 mph didn't help the battery's cool down process, i.e. prolonged the temp soak.

All per DaveinOlyWA's data via Leaf battery gauge images.

Thanks for your reporting.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Any way to remotely see the battery temp? I don’t see anything in the app.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

cwerdna
Posts: 9726
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:Any way to remotely see the battery temp? I don’t see anything in the app.
Leaf Spy

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

lorenfb
Posts: 2253
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: newly purchased e-plus impressions

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:28 pm

cwerdna wrote:
DougWantsALeaf wrote:Any way to remotely see the battery temp? I don’t see anything in the app.
Leaf Spy
And most likely via wifi for any practical distance, plus the vehicle must be powered-on.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”