Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
Also

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186859
Listed yesterday, under Tulalip. "Seattle Premium Outlets" is deceptive as it's north of Everett, and I couldn't find it on the EA map yesterday until i zoomed it well out. I've noticed that "Premium Outlets" often take the name of the biggest city around, but are actually located many miles away where the real estate's cheaper. Another example is the "San Francisco Premium Outlets", which is located in Livermore, on the opposite side of San Francisco Bay from San Francisco, and 20 miles inland.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Electrify America just called me about my inquiry regarding 100KW Chademo Chargers. They currently have no plans to upgrade their 50KW chargers to 100KW chargers, and do not currently have plans to add 100 KW Chademos in the near future.

Too bad, though I was appreciative that EA has responded each time I reached out.

Leaf drivers with the Plus, start emailing EA and ask for the better chargers.

If we can generate enough requests, maybe, just maybe, we can get that second Chademo at the EA locations and a improved charging rates.

Be careful what you ask for. The rates above 75 kwh are high. The 50 kwh stations do charge faster than 50 kwh on Plus models and other chademo's like the Kia so the lower rates do make a feasible option for the value conscious traveler.

On the flipside; I just finished charge at brand new EVGO in DuPont. (Had to add ace hardware location to Facebook...) Was able to talk to contractor and they wired it for 150 KW and expect that upgrade to come thru "within the year"

I agree that its more economical that we as Leaf (and old Soul, Prime, and Outlander) drivers are getting the lower EA rate, but if we expect Chademo to have any chance of surviving, we need stations to move to the 400 and then the 900KW standard.

As a home charger, I am supportive of stations charging for power, as I want the model to be sustainable. It also reduces congestion. In our community, they recently went from free public chargers to $1/hour (Level 2). The change made accessibility much better almost over night as the Telsa 3's would plug in for 9 hours at a time.

Will be doing my first EA charge this weekend in Iowa (Between Des Moines and Iowa City).

Three sites have opened, making 30 for the month and 229 total: Lakewood, CO (I-70, W. of dwtn. Denver); Ozona, TX (I-10); Vernon, PA (S.R. 51, N. of I-70).

Lakewood is the first QC site in the Denver area on I-70 rather than N. or S. of it, and removes the detour to one of those for those traveling along I-70 to/from the west.

Ozona was needed to shorten the barely possible with extreme care 201 mile leg between Ft. Stockton and Junction to a practical two legs of 109 and 93 miles. Tallahassee is the last remaining infill needed east of Texas on I-10 to make the whole route from Jacksonville to El Paso practical (as opposed to possible). Still need a couple in AZ (Casa Grande or Tempe) and/or NM (somewhere between Wilcox and Deming, both inclusive) in addition, to make the already possible continuation to Phoenix practical.

Vernon makes it possible with care and a bit of a detour to avoid the toll section of I-70&76 in western PA and cut over via S.R. 51 to Uniontown, and then take U.S. 40 to the toll-free I-68 into Hagerstown (153 miles) instead; or shorten the 191 mile I-70&76 leg between Cambridge, OH and Bedford, PA to two legs of 109 and 86 miles.

I'll probably be offline until Sunday, as I'm heading down to Solvang with a friend tomorrow to do some bike riding over the next few days.

Three sites have opened, making 33 for the month and 232 total: Richfield, UT (I-70); Charlotte, NC (Jct. I-85/S.R. 24); New Castle, DE (S.R. 13, 3 Mi. S. of I-495).

Richfield is needed to allow travel along I-70 btwn. I-15 and Grand Junction, but at least one more site, probably in Green River or Crescent Junction, UT, is needed to make the trip possible let alone practical, as it's 225 miles between Richfield and Grand Jct. Richfield connects to Beaver, Scipio and Spanish Fork.

Charlotte provides connections to EA QCs all around it on I-40/74//77/81/85/95.

New Castle appears to be for bypassing downtown Wilmington on I-95.

220 or so highway sites are open out of the 300 Hwy sites which were required to be open or substantially underway by today. Out of the 232 total that are open, some, perhaps 6 -12, have been urban sites, which weren't part of the 300 highway sites required by today.

Is there a reason why east of I95 in NC there are no non-tesla fast charging stations by any company including EA / EVGo etc. It seem this area is due for some stations, but I see none in progress or being planned. It's a huge gap given the number of vehicles that could potentially utilize it with folks traveling west to east on I64 / I40 etc.

GRA said:
220 or so highway sites are open out of the 300 Hwy sites which were required to be open or substantially underway by today. Out of the 232 total that are open, some, perhaps 6 -12, have been urban sites, which weren't part of the 300 highway sites required by today.

Frankly, given all of the red tape they have faced, I call this impressive. They are still claiming they will meet their Cycle I commitment (and part of Cycle II) by the end of this year. Overall, I'm happy with EA's progress so far.

That said, it's still very frustrating that the chargers I would personally use the most are sitting there, almost fully installed, but not yet turned on. And it seems that much of CA is also "coming soon". Here we are in the midst of summer travel season, and there are still significant gaps.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

Frankly, given all of the red tape they have faced, I call this impressive. They are still claiming they will meet their Cycle I commitment (and part of Cycle II) by the end of this year. Overall, I'm happy with EA's progress so far.

That said, it's still very frustrating that the chargers I would personally use the most are sitting there, almost fully installed, but not yet turned on. And it seems that much of CA is also "coming soon". Here we are in the midst of summer travel season, and there are still significant gaps.
It's always hard to separate our personal site needs from those of the network as a whole, and even how the latter is doing depends on what you prioritize. I just did a 3-day trip which involved driving up and down U.S. 101 south of the Bay Area, past 4 EA "Coming soon" sites. I could see one (Pismo Beach) from the highway and it appeared to have the stalls in, but who knows when it will actually open for business?

That being said, here's a state by state breakdown as of 6/30/19 [Now correct and complete]. With the opening of a site in Delaware, there are now EA QCs in 38 of the 48 contiguous states, leaving just three more scheduled states still waiting for their first: MN, RI, NH. Seven states (plus AK and HI) were not included in the announced network: WY, ND, SD, AL, WV, VT, ME.

22 TX
16 CA
14 FL
12 WA
11 IL
10 OH, CO
9 OR
8 NC, TN, VA
7 GA
6 ID, OK, PA
5 AR, IN, KS, MO, NE, NM, NV, UT
4 AZ, KY, SC
3 IA, LA, MA, MT, NY, WI
2 CT, MD, WI
1 DE, MS, NJ

Total 232

I would encourage everyone with a Leaf, Tesla w/adapter, Outlander/iMev, or Toyota RAV4/Prime on this board to open a ticket with EA asking for a second Chademo handle at the EA stops. Even if unlikely, we are a significant portion of EA's user base and hopefully the economics will drive the availability.

(I saw a Rav4 EV with Wisconsin plates this week. I didn't think they sold any outside of CA)

DougWantsALeaf said:
I would encourage everyone with a Leaf, Tesla w/adapter, Outlander/iMev, or Toyota RAV4/Prime on this board to open a ticket with EA asking for a second Chademo handle at the EA stops. Even if unlikely, we are a significant portion of EA's user base and hopefully the economics will drive the availability.

The economics is already driving the availability.

VW wants to sell electric cars.

VW is EA.

VW doesn't want to help Nissan any more that the court settlement requires. Or any other car company, for that matter.

If VW had freedom to do what they want they would be selling dirty diesels. Since the government will not let VW put diesel smoke into your lungs, VW would rather sell EVs.

CHADEMO isn't a VW standard. The court made them support it. So unless they are breaking the court standard, VW can tell you to go pound sand. OK, they probably will say it more politely.

"Thank you for your feedback".

DougWantsALeaf said:
(I saw a Rav4 EV with Wisconsin plates this week. I didn't think they sold any outside of CA)
Correct. Only sold new by Toyota in CA. However the RAV4-EV has actually gone worldwide.
BTW QuickChargePower developed an aftermarket Chademo L3 system for the RAV4-EV. Many are in use right now.

WetEV said:
CHADEMO isn't a VW standard. The court made them support it. So unless they are breaking the court standard, VW can tell you to go pound sand. OK, they probably will say it more politely.

"Thank you for your feedback".
+1. We know Nissan's not willing to put serious money into a real CHAdeMO network, and none of the minor Japanese companies can afford it, so unless Toyota(or the Chinese) does so when they introduce BEVs here, it ain't happening. Or, QCs could become profitable on their own :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Although it's not yet practical (I define that as legs of no more than 140 miles for a 200+ mile BEV) or convenient, it's now possible to drive from San Diego to Jacksonville, FL via I-8/10/12 using only EA QCs, assuming dest. charging at both ends. Leg lengths are as follows:

SD - Yuma 172 miles
Yuma - Buckeye 155
Buckeye - Benson 189
Benson - Deming 172
Deming - El Paso 113
El Paso - Van Horn 112
Van Horn - Ft. Stockton 117
Ft. Stockton - Ozona 109
Ozona - Junction 93
Junction - San Antonio 114
San Antonio - Columbus 124
Columbus - Houston 82
Houston - Vidor 82
Vidor - Sulphur 47
Sulphur - Breaux Bridge 86
Breaux Bridge - Hammond 91
Hammond - Gulfport 87
Gulfport - Pensacola 124
Pensacola - Chipley 108
Chipley - Lake City 186
Lake City - Jax 61

I wonder who'll be the EA version of the Glenneys', who made the first X-C drive using only Superchargers in a Model S back in Jan 2014? For those who weren't around MNL, TMC or other EV forums at the time, here's an account from Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/markro...at-out-elon-musk-while-doing-it/#3cb4f8f41684

This should be considerably easier if done any time soon, as the weather's better than was the case for them, and it's a much more direct route. Anyone up for it? It may even be possible to do the trip from NY to the PNW via I-80/76/70/15/84 and/or 82/90. To Denver is practical: the crux legs are between Lakewood, CO and Grand Junction (236 miles and 6k ft. of climb out of Denver), and then Grand Junction to Richfield, 225 miles. There are side roads that will allow you to travel more slowly and still be safe for 40 to 50 miles on each of these legs, but they would still require extreme care and near-ideal conditions to make it.

GRA said:
Anyone up for it? It may even be possible to do the trip from NY to the PNW via I-80/76/70/15/84 and/or 82/90.

If I had two weeks to play with, and no responsibilities holding me back, I would take this on. I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Already 4 documented events of a single CCS vehicle charging "alone" at the dual station. Likely reason? The dual station is the closest to the front door of the store. 4 seems insignificant but this is only what I have seen online. (3 by same person at different locations) This means there are many more I have not seen.

Since EA does not have to maintain a business model for cash flow due to all the money being fines and penalties, they have used the excuse they are "future proofing" the network while ignoring the predominant standard that currently exists today. TBT; there would be little additional cost for them to put in 2+ dual format stations and simply convert them as the CCS numbers begin to rise and surpass chademo. Instead they are losing revenue today. But then again, its not like they "need" to be profitable.

Back