Sold my 2011 SL w/7 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lothsahn

Just sold my 2011 SL w/7 bars (63k miles). Leaf values are higher in the midwest than in CA, and I was able to get $3,700 for it.

I was extremely open about the range limitations of the car (even talking some people out of buying the car) and the rate of battery degredation, so I did NOT rip off the buyer. The car was getting 35-40 miles in the summer and at least 20 miles in the winter (depending on outside temp) with a 57% SOH.

I know there are lots of people saying that when the Leafs hits 8 bars they become scrap, but there are definitely a number of buyers out there looking for cheap reliable transportation who can deal with the reduced range. I had multiple offers in the $3300 price range, and I was getting 3-4 calls every day about the car. 75% of the calls were from buyers who weren't aware of the range of a used Leaf and I ended up steering them clear of the car when I found it wouldn't meet their needs.

Just wanted to post because I know that it's hard to see what cars actually sell for. Despite being a 2011 and having a poor condition battery, the car is still functional for a number of people, and based on his range needs, I believe the current buyer will be quite happy with the car for the next 3-4 years. By that point, he should have saved more in gas than he paid for the car.

Mine has 65,500 miles and it's a great car.
A 2011 leaf with 7 SOH bars isn't scrap.
Hell the 7 bar battery is the problem, not the whole car.
Even a 6 bar battery isn't scrap, it could be taken apart and sold on ebay for $25 per module even being forthcoming about the cell SOH they would still sell quick at that price point.
Just have to find someone willing to attempt a battery / module swap or someone who is okay with a 20 mile car in the winter.

The above type of buyer is very sensitive to registration charges in my state the used BEV market is all but dead after the fees tripled in some areas (cough Milwaukee)

rmay635703 said:
The above type of buyer is very sensitive to registration charges in my state the used BEV market is all but dead after the fees tripled in some areas (cough Milwaukee)

$100/yr killed it? We have $80/yr in Missouri, and it's done nothing of the sort here...

My 2011 SL still has 9 bars. I'm retired and don't drive much. I started looking at new PHEVs and like the Crosstrek hybrid, especially EyeSight and the comfort/interior features. The Subaru dealer offered my $2000 for the trade-in on my Leaf which is too low IMO. But after reviewing the field I decided all the PHEVs are really just gas cars with a little extra electric battery for short trips. They're also all overpriced since they have two power plants and usually limited storage space due to the traction battery. I want to drive electric at least 95% of the time which is feasible for me since I rarely need to go more than 30 miles a day. I finally decided keeping the Leaf and driving my wife's car (2006 Acura) for the longer trips is still the best option. Due to health problems she doesn't drive much now and actually likes me to take it out on the freeway from time to time to help charge up the battery and heat up the engine block a bit. Despite their ages, both our cars drive great and look good. It is inconvenient to switch cars, but it still works. A 2011 Leaf is still a good car.

Rat said:
My 2011 SL still has 9 bars. I'm retired and don't drive much. I started looking at new PHEVs and like the Crosstrek hybrid, especially EyeSight and the comfort/interior features. The Subaru dealer offered my $2000 for the trade-in on my Leaf which is too low IMO. But after reviewing the field I decided all the PHEVs are really just gas cars with a little extra electric battery for short trips. They're also all overpriced since they have two power plants and usually limited storage space due to the traction battery. I want to drive electric at least 95% of the time which is feasible for me since I rarely need to go more than 30 miles a day. I finally decided keeping the Leaf and driving my wife's car (2006 Acura) for the longer trips is still the best option. Due to health problems she doesn't drive much now and actually likes me to take it out on the freeway from time to time to help charge up the battery and heat up the engine block a bit. Despite their ages, both our cars drive great and look good. It is inconvenient to switch cars, but it still works. A 2011 Leaf is still a good car.

You might want to consider a later Volt, which would have at least as much EV range as your Leaf. There may even be a few of the last, discounted new ones left on lots...

LeftieBiker said:
Rat said:

You might want to consider a later Volt, which would have at least as much EV range as your Leaf. There may even be a few of the last, discounted new ones left on lots...
The fossil economy is on par with the Acura, so what would be the point other than exchanging Acura reliability in a paid off-car for a Volt cost and dependence on GM ?

LeftieBiker said:
It would be an EV with a backup ICE.
He already has an EV that is more functional than a Volt even in its degraded battery state.
He already has a back-up ICE that is likely a better car than the Volt.

The only possible reason I can think of to consider a swap into a Volt would be to downsize to one car in the family but buying discontinued models is a whole 'nother can of worms besides the very debatable choice of becoming dependent on Chevy reliability and service.

All this, of course, for someone willing to be connected with the GM name at all.

I think his decision is more than reasonable, and in a few years if he still cares about cars the money saved might put him into a Tesla.

It appears to me that consolidating to one good used Volt would work very well for them. As for reliability, I really hope those words don't come back to haunt you, as Teslas aren't exactly Toyotas, if you get my drift. I'm really not in the mood tonight to clash swords at every turn, though, so let's just say that we disagree on this. I think I'll just deal with the Pakistani, Indian, and occasional Midwestern US spammers tonight.

Yeah the spammer is back.
Is there any chance the admin can change forum settings so someone with less than 10 posts or has been registered less than a week or 2 is unable to add a link to a post?

Oilpan4 said:
Yeah the spammer is back.
Is there any chance the admin can change forum settings so someone with less than 10 posts or has been registered less than a week or 2 is unable to add a link to a post?

There is definitely more than one spammer. Yes, settings can be changed, but I can't do it and those who can...don't.

A Honda clarity would work for them too. 2018 touring new can be had under 30k plus federal and state rebates if they qualify. Honda reliability and 50 plus miles of ev range

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
It would be an EV with a backup ICE.
He already has an EV that is more functional than a Volt even in its degraded battery state.
He already has a back-up ICE that is likely a better car than the Volt.

The only possible reason I can think of to consider a swap into a Volt would be to downsize to one car in the family but buying discontinued models is a whole 'nother can of worms besides the very debatable choice of becoming dependent on Chevy reliability and service.

All this, of course, for someone willing to be connected with the GM name at all.

I think his decision is more than reasonable, and in a few years if he still cares about cars the money saved might put him into a Tesla.

I think Chevy bashing is the wrong tack. Its not like Nissans are bullet proof vehicles. Leaf batteries are ****. Just sold a Frontier that was also ****.

downeykp said:
I think Chevy bashing is the wrong tack. Its not like Nissans are bullet proof vehicles. Leaf batteries are ****. Just sold a Frontier that was also ****.
Nothing is "bullet proof" but the LEAF has held up pretty well so far, and the Acura has an overall very enviable record, particularly compared to Chevy.

I didn't mean to start an argument. I'm sticking with my Leaf/Acura combination for the foreseeable future. I think the PHEV is a stopgap technology. Unless one of my cars gives out, I'll wait until a decent small SUV EV is out and time tested. There are five or six in the works. The only one I know of that's available now is the Jaguar I-Pace, which would be a ridiculous choice for me. Although I'm happy with my Leaf, it does have a few first-year shortcomings which are well-documented here. I don't want to buy another first model year car, so I'm probably looking at 2021 at the earliest and maybe I'll just hang onto the cars I have.

My leaf hasn't held up well. It's already on its second battery.

If it had its original battery it would be some where between 6 bar and bricked.

Back