Importing US Leafs to Canada - CARWINGS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My CARWINGS last worked January 14,2017 at 07:18 PM, before that it was working fine.

I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it and was relived to hear that I am not the only one with problems.

One thing I wanted to know is if anyone has gotten the 3G TCU upgrade and have it work in Canada? I will pay US$199 for the upgrade as long as I know that it works in Vancouver.

Theres a few of us in the same boat as you and wondering the same. Hopefully we'll hear from a Canadian Leaf owner who has done the upgrade, but I have yet to see anyone do it.

Facebook also has a forum that is discussing this subject called "Canada Nissan Leaf Owners" if you're interested.

I have joined (and commented) on that Facebook Page. I will continue to track specific people inside the Nissan Corporation until someone with enough authority says, "MAKE IT SO" and hopefully, a REASONABLE compromise to 'drive down to another country for a few days' or pay >$2500 is reached.

Success. VIA THIS FORUM. I'm reposting the work-around here from the other thread in this forum in my own words

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=482792&sid=fd35a9c966ccddbb02104435fed29472#p482792 )

Log into Nissan Connect Website, Remove your Vehicle from the system: (click "My Garage" tab -> click "Remove Vehicle") It will give an ominous warning message, but no worries.

Call DEVIN at Nissan Connect 1-800-343-6913x457505
Tell him to wipe clean your VIN# and then add it back to the Nissan Canada portal.
Add Your Vehicle (It will prompt for your VIN#)
It will then give you a new userid and password to be entered into the LEAF TCU, you have to do this manually into the car via the Settings->Carwings menu then click "Send ID and Password" on the TCU screen. This may take up to 5 minutes or more. For me, at first, it just started registering nearby charging stations, about 5 minutes after that, I resent the id/password manually, and it fully authenticated the vehicle.

Then go back to https://canada.nissanconnect.com/ login and you should see your car with a new USER ID.

Click (red) CARWINGS bar below the Car icon.

You will now get updates. Can initiate pre-heating, and grab data from the vehicle again!

YAY!

(Of course if your local service provider (for me it is Rogers) shuts their 2G down any time in the future, you will lose access, probably forever this time.)

Just FYI, I got mine working as well, but I had mine added to the US Nissan Connect because I did it before realizing it could also be done from the Canadian one.

If you use the US connect, it will give your info in miles, instead of KM's and I don't think texting will work, because you need to select your carrier. (although I will experiment).

triflic said:
Success. VIA THIS FORUM. I'm reposting the work-around here from the other thread in this forum in my own words

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=482792&sid=fd35a9c966ccddbb02104435fed29472#p482792 )

Thanks -- your post directed me to the other thread and I got mine to work too using the online chat too. My story is here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23248&p=482813#p482813

I am also floating about in the 2G shutdown boat here in the GWN. I'm just north of Winnipeg with a 2012 SL imported from the US.

I purchased a US sourced TCU upgrade unit from an online Nissan parts store in Texas, p/n 283B0-3NA2A. Cost was US$205 +US$11 for shipping to Pembina ND and then CDN $35 at the border (plus $$$ for the drive Winnipeg to Pembina and back) . So call it abt $315 CDN (plus time and gas for the road trip.) Took three or four days. I was quoted $1700 and seven weeks locally at one place, the other guy said simply can't do, US part numbers are different ... etc. So that one way to get a new US spec TCU.

I am now mulling installation. The unit looks simple enough - three connectors and a few mounting screws. So self-install (the warranty issue is probably not something to worry about from other comments about Nissan) and then tackle the IMEI switch over by phone to Nissan USA? One assumes the TCU IMEI is keyed to the VIN somehow and must be changed to get into the Connect system for a new ID and password.

Just wondering if that's a doable or if anyone else has tried this route?

Cheers Jim

Curious to see how that works out. Local dealership quoted me $1900 and $600 install. That is why I went the 'no new hardware route.'

Update on my 3G TCU Install

I went ahead and put my new 3G TCU in the car today.

For average DIYers, it should be about a 30 minute job. The unit installs just to the right of the glove box compartment against the side wall of the car forward of the passenger door.

Step 1, Remove the glove box compartment, take out 8 Phillips head screws (4 at the door hinges, 2 at the top outer edges, and 2 at the top of the interior), there is also a small panel above the passenger's toes that should come off as well, snaps in no screws. The glove box should slide down and back.
Step 2. The TCU is held in an aluminum mounting tray which is held to the door frame by 2 more Philips head screws, take them out, slide the tray up, and then it will swing and rotate towards the centre of the car.
Step 3. There are 4 Torex 25 screws holding the TCU in the tray to remove next.
Step 4. Seemed like a good idea to remove all electrical power, so I disconnected the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery.
Step 5. Undo the three connectors by depressing the locking tabs.
Step 6. Plug the three connectors into the new TCU, they are coded by size and orientation so will not be confused.

Reassemble things by reversing steps 1 to 4.

Powering on, everything came up fine. Carwings attempts to connect but results in a fail message. About three bars signal strength at my location and it is communicating but not logging in.

Next step is try and get some one at Nissan to wipe the old TCU off my VIN and insert the new TCU number.

Giving up for weekend!

Cheers, Jim

stonymtnleaf: Hey is your car from the US, as well as did you get the TCU from a US Nissan Parts dealer?

Thanks
Michelle

Update: sorry.. disregard.. I read back in the thread and saw your info from a previous post. I'm anxious to hear how this goes and especially if it works in Canada under rogers?

stonymtnleaf said:
I purchased a US sourced TCU upgrade unit from an online Nissan parts store in Texas, p/n 283B0-3NA2A.

If this is from a 3rd party company, they probably don't have access to the recent TCU upgrade parts, so I am rather curious, was it a 2016 Model Year Part? Because 2011-2015 were all 2G only. No point in swapping if it doesn't default to 3G.

If it doesn't work you, you can use our software fix, and at least get 2G access until the end of 2017 when Rogers is scheduled to phase out 2G.

triflic said:
stonymtnleaf said:
I purchased a US sourced TCU upgrade unit from an online Nissan parts store in Texas, p/n 283B0-3NA2A.

If this is from a 3rd party company, they probably don't have access to the recent TCU upgrade parts, so I am rather curious, was it a 2016 Model Year Part? Because 2011-2015 were all 2G only. No point in swapping if it doesn't default to 3G.

If it doesn't work you, you can use our software fix, and at least get 2G access until the end of 2017 when Rogers is scheduled to phase out 2G.

what is your software fix to get 2g on rogers? pm me?

jerkwagon said:
triflic said:
stonymtnleaf said:
what is your software fix to get 2g on rogers? pm me?

The 'software fix' no longer works, because Nissan Corporate axed 2011-2015 TCU Unit# I.D.'s from their database, and refuse to let them talk to their NissanConnect server, even though 2G still worked in canada. Many of use enjoyed a month more 2G access (after the AT&T shutdown) before NISSAN put a fork in it. Currently, the only way to get TCU/NissanConnect access is to upgrade to a 3G TCU Unit.

triflic said:

The 'software fix' no longer works, because Nissan Corporate axed 2011-2015 TCU Unit# I.D.'s from their database, and refuse to let them talk to their NissanConnect server, even though 2G still worked in canada. Many of use enjoyed a month more 2G access (after the AT&T shutdown) before NISSAN put a fork in it. Currently, the only way to get TCU/NissanConnect access is to upgrade to a 3G TCU Unit.

how are canadians with non imports able to talk to connect? What would it take for us to have their access?

People are posting that Jonker Nissan in Langley does the TCU upgrade for $200 Canadian...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23349&start=10

Happy Upgrading :)

There are almost 100 used US cars for sale in BC now. I don’t want to purchase one unless I know for sure that I will have CARWINGS access. Every dealership I talk to says it is not possible to use CARWINGS on a US car imported into Canada.
Has anyone done it recently?
My current Leaf is Canadian and I use the remote heating and cooling feature all the time. I wouldn’t buy a Leaf if I couldn’t access that feature on it.

Lon12: Carwings isn't all its cracked up to be (for me anyways) in my opinion. It was many times painfully slow, and I didn't work other times.

I think it is better to get a Juicepro or other charger that has wifi, and if you go with public charges (chargepoint etc), they can alert you.

My 3G TCU has issues that drain the 12v battery which made the car inoperable. I decided to disable the TCU all I could (instructions found on this forum) and the problem went away. So now, I couldn't be bothered with the TCU and carwings.

I wonder why the life span is for the 2G and 3G TCUs in Canada.

That said, the control of the heating and cooling for you, I can understand you putting a higher priority on those features.

Back