car stolen and returned damaged. help with fuse layout

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPaulHolmes

Hello, my 2012 Nissan leaf was recently stolen, along with my uhaul and everything we owned (in the back of the uhaul). The police found the car in the woods, but there was some damage done to it. Does anyone have an unbroken version of the attached pictures? I would like to be able to fix it, The car was a salvage title, and I only had liability insurance on it, so I would rather not take it in to be worked on.
X0vJR7j.jpg

YnWMgQg.jpg

My 2013 Leaf is gone, I'm afraid. Hopefully someone will be able to help you. Why on earth are the fuse blocks smashed? Was it a crash, or vandalism on top of theft?

It was vandalism on top of theft. The car was still on the tow dolly behind the uhaul. The uhaul was really destroyed (not crashed, just manually vandalized really bad)

This guy is parting out a 2013 Leaf. https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/brighton-2013-nissan-leaf-electric/6870472393.html

It's in Denver but maybe he'll ship. You could also check if other models share the parts and then find one on-line or in a u-pull type junkyard.

Hey Paul - I remember when you bought the salvaged Leaf and then got it running again. If I recall, it was a bad 12V battery. Also, we talked about bidirectional converter designs that would work with the main battery/CHAdeMO protocols to use the Leaf as a backup/off grid battery.

OK, I have a 2012 Leaf and can get you the pictures you requested if you still need them. I'll email them to you, just let me know if you've changed your email address recently. PM me with it if you have.
Mark

MPaulHolmes said:
It was vandalism on top of theft. The car was still on the tow dolly behind the uhaul. The uhaul was really destroyed (not crashed, just manually vandalized really bad)

Wow. Maybe they couldn't figure out how to "hot wire" an EV and then decided to vent their frustration upon all things electric?

Sent you pictures of my 2011. Let me know if you need anything else.

Sorry about your car...

Edit:. Just re-read. And your stuff. You get anything else back or just the car?

Hi Lothsahn! We did get it back after a few weeks, but almost all of our stuff of value was already taken from the uhaul. And much of what wasn't taken was spread throughout the woods and had been rained on. I do have another question. Does anyone know where I can just buy complete new versions of the 2 black boxes in those pictures, or maybe what they are called? I'm not sure what to search for on places like Ebay.

Trying to repair that would be a nightmare. It may be easier to get cut a harness off a junk car down the line, crimp each at staggered sections and wrap the loom with good tape to seal it.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but I'd guess they might be called a fuse holder or fuse box or fuse block. If there is a Nissan dealer nearby you could ask at the parts counter and they could look it up in their system. Sometimes parts like that are not too expensive but I wouldn't guarantee they are even available as spare parts or what they might cost.

Another option would be to search for folks parting out junked Leaf's and asking if they would pull and ship those parts to you. There can be differences between model years, trim levels, or even running changes in model years so good pictures of what you need would help to insure you get compatible parts.

The nissan dealership looked at it, and said it would be over $4,000 just to fix the 2 fuse holders, and then they think it could have shorted other stuff out if they did that before taking out the 12v battery.

Wow, sounds like they don't want to take this on. If there is a local independent shop you like try them. I don't think there is any special about the 12V system on these cars so any competent mechanic should be able to fix it. For VWs, the dealer sells 12" wires with the special connectors on each end for a few $. These new wire ends can spliced onto the existing wires and inserted into plastic new connectors (also available for a few $). It's time consuming but not difficult. I'd guess Nissans are the same although I have actually done it on a Nissan (I have on VWs).

He explained to me that I had to make sure not to work on it myself, because "that car has 30,000 volts". lol. And that it would kill me to repair the 12v system. I'm thinking of just using it as a test vehicle. I do motor controllers, and it would be nice to just gut all of the electronics and be able to test in a car. Here's a sample with two 2013 controllers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YKyWbOkvgo

Even though Leaf dealer guy was obviously an idiot saying the car has 30kv in it, he has a point with the cutting. If the wire is live and cut, the metal tool to cut will short to the other wires also being cut at the same time. Unless you think the vandals were nice enough to cut each wire separately. When that happens 12v can go down all sorts of wires that should have it. It just takes 1 of those wires to be easily damaged and then that entire ECU is trash. Most of them nowadays don't have individual wire protection for over-voltage and over-current protection. And the Leaf, like most modern vehicles is always on. That's how the radio keeps its presets, the windows keep the auto function, the smart key system works, the brakes can prime when you're near by as well as the dome light, the cellular functionality, etc. The car never turns off, only hibernates and more damage can be done.

On the old cars, when you turned it off, it was off except the 1 live wire from the battery to the alternator and another to the ignition switch. That was it. Cut all the wires you want (except those) and nothing bad would happen. Vehicles have more bells and whistles today.

This is a good reminder why I choose to keep full coverage on every one of my vehicles including the clunkers.

Ya. Although, my insurance company told me I could only get a couple thousand if it was totalled since it was a salvage title, even though it was worth a lot more, so I didn't bother, because where I was living at the time never had much of any crime. Kansas City turned out to be very different.

Back