Aerodynamic Improvements for Longer Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
One thing I have noticed about my Gen 2 Volt is just how much better the aerodynamics is compared to the Leaf... Higher speeds don't have nearly the efficiency impact that they do on the Leaf (even at a continuous 66-70 I always easily beat the EPA 53 mile rating)...
Can you give an example? I am curious what the Volt gets at 70 mph for efficiency. If my Leaf gets 4.2 m/kwh for example at 70 mph on level ground, what does the Volt get?

We're going to do testing with:

- Wheel covers
- Rear skirts
- Air dam (in front)

at the end of August/beginning of September. We're developing these as actual products you can buy with some decent testing behind it, so hopefully it will pan out. If nothing else, they'll be aesthetic mods with no functional impact on the car as such.

Very exciting.

Thanks lease post results as they become available. I would be interested. Are you doing 3D printing for the parts?

I have used painters tape in my old leaf quite effectively to block the grill to push efficiency a bit as well as make the heater more efficient in the winter.

They're a bit too large to 3D print, so we're probably laminating them from fiberglass/epoxy in a CNC cut mold.

To start, we'll make small quantities as an upsell with our muxsan range extender batteries. At some point we'll have our own web shop where you can individually buy our 16A programmable granny charger, various aeromods, maybe even extender kits.

Has anybody tried interior wheel covers? They are probably not as effective as a pizza pan but they do look better. About 10" in diameter should cover quite a large area of open rims. They are available on e-Bay.

[mod: link removed]

Vortex generators aren't going to do anything for the Leaf, as it has a flow separating back shape.

Back