GCC: CARB approves zero-emission airport shuttle rule

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
SageBrush said:
Nubo said:
Their shennanigans regarding electric cars weren't personal to me.
What other US regulatory body has done better, or even close ?

The merit of the shuttle rule doesn't depend on the answer.

In an earlier post you said
When I moved to CA I was forced to hand over $300 because my car (which was mechanically identical in all 50 states) didn't have a "california emissions sticker". Later they helped "kill the electric car". Screw CARB.

You have an axe to grind, and it is blinding you to the obvious: CARB is not perfect by any means but they are head and shoulders above everybody else. As for the airports, every EV in use is a success, and the CARB focus on pollution dense areas not only directly speaks to their mandate, it is also politically astute.

Give this a rest. You opinion has been heard ... and rejected.

Nubo said:
Silliness. Legislating the inevitable. CARB has too much time on their hands.

Not silly. Look at the exposure side of the equation. It is not just how much, it is where the pollution is released.

A dirty shuttle in the middle of Montana exposes few people to the poisons it puts into the air. And not for long. Few people, far apart. A shuttle from Stanford Airport in Montana to the only hotel in town, the Sundown Motel, if such a thing existed, could be a coal burning steam engine and not have much impact on health.

California airports are crowded with people. The impact of the NOx, PM2.5 released at an airport is higher than the average release in California because there are far more people exposed.

I wish Seatac airport had such a rule.

WetEV said:
Nubo said:

Not silly. Look at the exposure side of the equation. It is not just how much, it is where the pollution is released.

A dirty shuttle in the middle of Montana exposes few people to the poisons it puts into the air. And not for long. Few people, far apart. A shuttle from Stanford Airport in Montana to the only hotel in town, the Sundown Motel, if such a thing existed, could be a coal burning steam engine and not have much impact on health.

California airports are crowded with people. The impact of the NOx, PM2.5 released at an airport is higher than the average release in California because there are far more people exposed.

Yes airports are crowded with people, and the air in busy CA airports is atrocious from airport activities and tremendous motor traffic. That's why legislating a handful of vans would be like citing me for farting in the Harris Ranch feedlot.
HQ8khsy.jpg

Anyone who has driven CA I-5 through Coalinga knows what I'm talking about ;)

CARB bitch-fest:

I wish they would give up the H2 fantasy. Otherwise they are doing a fine job.

Nubo said:
GRA said:
Do you consider CARB's requirement that drayage trucks at ports not idle but instead use electric power hookups to run their reefers while waiting, while writing regs athat will eventually require drayage trucks to be ZEV, to also be "like pissing in the ocean"?

I don't know enough about "drayage trucks" to answer that question. It'd be nice if the cargo ships weren't emitting their plumes of bunker-oil exhaust in port. THAT is some nasty ****.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drayage

As for bunker oil in port (I think they may use normal diesel #2 for their gensets, but am not sure), that's why CARB is requiring them to use shore power (or reduce emissions in other ways), and providing the hookups for same:
Shore Power for Ocean-going Vessels
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/ports/shorepower/shorepower.htm.

Internationally, the use of cleaner, low-sulphur DFM at all times is mandated a few years in the future, but many areas including California already require its use within national waters:
Ocean-Going Vessels - Fuel Rule
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/ports/marinevess/ogv.htm

Nubo said:
WetEV said:
Nubo said:

Yes airports are crowded with people, and the air in busy CA airports is atrocious from airport activities and tremendous motor traffic. That's why legislating a handful of vans would be like citing me for farting in the Harris Ranch feedlot.
HQ8khsy.jpg

Anyone who has driven CA I-5 through Coalinga knows what I'm talking about ;)
But of course it's not just a handful of "vans", it's also the aircraft as well as the various other ground vehicles (mainly diesel-fueled) that work at or service the airport that CARB is requiring be cleaned up, not to mention all the private cars that visit it (via the ZEV sales mandates). As far as the ground vehicles go, heavy diesel vehicles generate an out-sized amount of DPM, and just like cleaning up the relatively small numbers of ag equipment (which CARB is also requiring), cleaning those up will have an out-sized effect on local air quality.

And I have driven past Harris Ranch and other feedlots, and CARB is moving to regulate them more tightly than they already do:
Dairy and Livestock Working Group
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/cc/dairy/dairy.htm

Purpose of Dairy/Livestock Working Group

Short-lived climate pollutants (SLCPs) are powerful climate forcers that remain in the atmosphere for shorter periods of time than carbon dioxide but can be tens to thousands of times more potent. Senate Bill 605 (Lara, Chapter 523, Statutes of 2014) and 1383 (Lara, Chapter 395, Statutes of 2016) directed ARB and other agencies to develop and implement strategies to reduce the three main SLCPs: methane, black carbon, and hydrofluorocarbons. Senate Bill 1383 contains detailed requirements for the reduction of methane emissions from landfills and the dairy and livestock sector. To facilitate development of measures to reduce dairy and livestock emissions, SB 1383 requires ARB to work with a broad range of stakeholders to identify and address technical, market, regulatory, and other challenges and barriers to the development of dairy methane emissions reduction projects. In keeping with this requirement, ARB, the California Department of Food and Agriculture, the California Energy Commission, and the California Public Utilities Commission convened a Dairy and Livestock Working Group.

December 3, 2018 - Final Meeting

The Working Group held its final meeting on December 3, 2018. At that meeting, the subgroups presented their final recommendations to the agency principals.
Rulemaking will follow.

GRA said:
CARB has also been providing funds (forget if it's yet a requirement) to replace school buses with ZEVs in the most polluted districts, and eventually that will apply across the state, as will be the case with buses generally. What CARB's been doing seems to be working pretty well, although much more remains to be done:

See
California Energy Commission awards nearly $70M to replace diesel school buses with electric school buses throughout state
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29824

Hopefully they start replacing the busses in LA first. In 2006 they still had busses that rolled coal. Probably still have them.

^^^ https://achieve.lausd.net/Page/2735

LAUSD takes a proactive stance on showing fiscal and environmental stewardship. With this in mind, the District has made an ongoing effort to procure cleaner burning buses at a minimal cost. Special thanks to you, the voters, for supporting Measures Y and Q. Your vote has helped us replace older diesel buses with cleaner burning alternative fuel buses.

Through several grant awards from the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), LAUSD has been able to leverage bond and grant dollars to replace more than 70% of its diesel engine school buses with cleaner emission vehicles such as propane and compressed natural gas (CNG).

Please read the details of current and upcoming Division initiatives below.

CNG School Bus Fleet

With 600 CNG school buses, the Division operates the largest compressed natural gas school bus fleet in California. Natural gas buses produce less urban pollution and greenhouse gases than diesel buses, and, because we have a huge natural gas resource base right here in America, natural gas buses help reduce our dependence on foreign oil while providing lower fuel costs.

Propane and ULEV Gasoline School Bus Fleets

LAUSD also operates alternative-fuel buses powered with gasoline and propane. The District has in its fleet, 100 ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV) gasoline and 268 propane-powered school buses. Although propane school buses are a newer fuel type for LAUSD, it has been extensively utilized for public transit and school bus operations nationally. Propane is the second most used fuel in commercial vehicles, behind diesel fuel. Propane fuel is also the cleanest burning fuel when compared with diesel and CNG. . . .

Bio-diesel Fuel

Bio-diesel fuel is a cleaner burning alternative fuel produced from domestic, renewable resources, such as vegetable oils and animal fats. All remaining school buses with diesel engines operate on low-sulfur bio-diesel fuel. Compared to diesel, the use of bio-diesel creates a considerable reduction in particulate matter (PM) and Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Additionally, these buses are equipped with special exhaust traps/filters that further reduce pollutants. The introduction of a bio-diesel fuel blend into the District's fleet provides a unique opportunity to leverage green technology that requires limited capital investment. Thus far, the conversion to bio-diesel has had a minimal impact on operations.

Back