2019 Leaf battery overheating

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Compared to what this Norway test shows, the 62kWh battery does substantially better at temp mgmt and charge rate at temp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sQansDFt-GM

That is an EU LEAF which means it has RapidGate SW adjustment that we don't get so yeah, it would be better...

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Compared to what this Norway test shows, the 62kWh battery does substantially better at temp mgmt and charge rate at temp.

That is an EU LEAF which means it has RapidGate SW adjustment that we don't get so yeah, it would be better...

Just let the battery cook more with increased battery degradation, great solution, right? Not here in U.S., as Nissan's battery
replacement liability would be a financial nightmare, besides the bad press.

If you buy a BEV without TMS and expect to drive intercities in the U.S., realize the negatives!

lorenfb said:
If you buy a BEV without TMS and expect to drive intercities in the U.S., realize the negatives!
Yep

People are focusing on the DCFC limits because that affects them today but accelerated degradation can be anticipated for these owners because of their use case, irrespective of whether the Europe SW "fix" is applied. Then we will have a new round of "I was never told !!!" whining.

If I owned one of these egg poachers I would change my license plate to Arrh [enius]

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Just let the battery cook more with increased battery degradation, great solution, right? Not here in U.S., as Nissan's battery
replacement liability would be a financial nightmare, besides the bad press.

Looks like they are realizing the negatives. No details yet, but you heard it here first.

LeftieBiker said:
Looks like they are realizing the negatives. No details yet, but you heard it here first.

That wasn't information.

I think that was his point.

Battery life at high temperatures is improving. For amusement, Nature Energy has an article of a LI-ion battery with better cycle life at 60C than at 25C.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-019-0413-3

I thought Dave was passing gas, errr ... passing on a rumor that Nissan will include TMS in some future car.

The rumor cycle is starting early, so I'll add my own: **Eventually** Nissan will get a clue.

Actually fairly impressed today. Car was outside today in 98+ degree heat all day (9:30 - 5) and the temp bar moved beyond the 1/2 way point where it started. I get the feeling the battery is insulated sted, which might be awesome come January here, but makes heat dissipation slow in summer.

Ok, was hoping to have more but apparently its so new, most Nissan service advisors have not heard of it but a RapidGate fix for NA now exists. Due to my tech (if you know the area you know why I will wait for him) leaving on vacation at noon today, I won't get the update until Aug 1st. The wait will be torturous.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok, was hoping to have more but apparently its so new, most Nissan service advisors have not heard of it but a RapidGate fix for NA now exists. Due to my tech (if you know the area you know why I will wait for him) leaving on vacation at noon today, I won't get the update until Aug 1st. The wait will be torturous.

Is or will there be a TSB for this sent out?

ChozoGhost79 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Is or will there be a TSB for this sent out?
I'll guess no :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:

So in the near future, overly cooked batteries with additional degradation, right?

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

So in the near future, overly cooked batteries with additional degradation, right?

Hmmm, that sounds like what you said about the 30 kwh packs but I saw very little of that and I cooked my pack "a bit"

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Hmmm, that sounds like what you said about the 30 kwh packs but I saw very little of that and I cooked my pack "a bit"

Link please.
So all the years of Leaf heat related analyzes of degradation noted on MNL resulted in misguided inferences, right?
Yes, Nissan did make some slight improvements in the Leaf's battery tolerance to heat over the years, but hardly
overwhelming or minimizing one's concern for Leaf battery heat. You've never kept any of your Leafs long enough
to really see any significant heat related degradation, besides living in the PNW provides a poor sample base location
for heat related effects.

DaveinOlyWA said:

I reached out to Nissan this morning to get more information on this, and here is the response I received from Jeff Wandell from Nissan's Product and Technology Communications:

"I can confirm that a software update that reduced the quick charging safeguards was offered to customers in Europe. We’re currently investigating offering the software in the U.S. for 2018 – 2019 40 kWh LEAFs but have nothing to announce at this time.
As things progress forward, I’ll let you know of any changes".

Sorry but no cigar, at least I got Nissan to say that they were investigating offering it to US customers, but there isn't any basis that there is an update today.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Actually fairly impressed today. Car was outside today in 98+ degree heat all day (9:30 - 5) and the temp bar moved beyond the 1/2 way point where it started. I get the feeling the battery is insulated sted, which might be awesome come January here, but makes heat dissipation slow in summer.

Battery is not insulated :lol: :lol:
The one bar increase in Temp was due to

1. Large battery thermal mass
2. A large temperature band. Bar #6 and bar #7 in my LEAF are 24 degrees (F) each !!

DougWantsALeaf said:
That was a typo. What I was trying to write was that the temp bar didn’t move all day, in spite of the heat.
Which just goes to show how useless the temp bars are.

My bar #6 starts at 75F and ends at ~ 98F
Bar #7 starts at ~ 99F and ends at ~ 122F

Back