Should I buy My Leaf After The Lease Is Done??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disorder

Hello
I Need Some Advice
I have A 2015 Leaf S Peal White Black Interior with Splash Guards and Charge Package
I have had it since Oct 2015 And Have 3 more Lease Payments Left Then I Can either
Turn It In Or Purchase It.The Payoff amount will Be $8746.55 To Purchase
I Really Like The Car And Have Accepted Its Quirks With The Heater Draining the Charge In The Winter And The AC
Doing the same In the Summer I live in the Northeast and Have Not Had One Problem with it
There were a few reacalls the dealer did them all in a few hours I have less than 19000 miles on it
Im a senior Citizen and don't drive that much anymore the car is still like new and i have a 220 volt
Nissan Charger at home And it still charges at almost 100 Percent every time
Is the car worth $8700.00? i would plan to keep for 4 or more years then see what happens in the ev world
I would like a New Leaf Plus But can't afford the Payments i am on a fixed income
So Should i buy It Or Not? Or turn it in! Its been a great car and i like not buying Gasoline.
Any Thoughts or comments would be appreciated
Thanks Norm

Personally, I would. You might find a better deal on a used one somewhere, but you know this car, and I don't think you'll do tons better.

+1

If you don't need more range now there isn't much to be gained from a Leaf+ unless you want the ProPilot, ePedal, etc. To get all that you would have to buy an SV+tech or an SL and that will add quite a bit to the cost of the car. If the 2015 works for you now, it should still be fine in 4 years and by then the EV landscape will probably be completely different than it is today. \

Would the car still be OK with 80% of its current range? I'd say that's probably a reasonable worst case estimate of what it will be like in 4 years in your climate.

One thing I would mention is that I wouldn't charge to 100% and let the car sit for long periods of time, especially in the summer when it is hot. High temp and high charge levels are detrimental to battery life so try to avoid that situation as much as you can. If you need 100% charge, try to charge it just before you leave. If the car is going to sit for a long time (ie several days) try to keep the charge level below 80% until you're ready to go. If that's too inconvenient don't worry but in general that is the best strategy to make the battery last as long as possible.

Sounds like the car works well for you. And 2015 seems to have the most durable battery of the LEAFs so far. I'd say keeping it sounds like a good value proposition. I bought mine when the lease was up. Like you the car has been 100% reliable.

Regarding future costs, check the condition of your tires. LEAFs don't get the best tire wear.

Thanks Everybody For Responding
I just needed A Second Opinion From Other Leaf Owner To Confirm
My Thoughts I will Buy And Finance it Through Nissan Again
I owned A New 2009 Prius It Was A Decent Car And A 2012 Prius Plug In
That was a Joke 13 Miles of Electric Driving
then I got the Leaf the only Thing The Prius Has Over The Leaf
Is The Cabin Is Quieter Than The Leaf Thats The Only Negative I Can Say About My Leaf
Its the Best Car I Have ever driven And Very Comfortable Im 6'3" And It Fits Me Well
The Tires Is Have A Lot Of Tread On Them They Are Bridgestone's the Same exact tires That my 2012 Prius Had
I Figure Tires And Brakes Are Hopefully Going to be My Only Issues
I wonder how long the Electric Motor And Transmission will Last?
I 4 more years Maybe There Will be A Heck of a Lot New EV's Out With Less Expensive Better Batteries

Disorder said:
Hello
I Need Some Advice

Nissan Charger at home And it still charges at almost 100 Percent every time
Thanks Norm
That is like saying "the pail fills up completely" but it does not tell us how much fits in the pail or whether the pail has "shrunk."
Gas tanks do not "shrink" but batteries do --- well, at least they act as if they have shrunk.

Check your manual to learn how to read the battery *capacity* or look at this graphic. It is labeled #15.
#14 reports the pail level.

uc

Thanks for the Info
Every time i Charge It I Only charge At home 220 Volts
It Has All The Bars Lit Up And It says 100% After Charge
I typically drive it to the Grocery Store And Hospital
Which is a 35 mile round trip
Sometimes to home depot 46 Mile Round trip
And to lowes 40 mile round trip
Once i did a 100 miles round trip and Had 4 christmas trees
And made it home with a few miles to spare No A/C on
Just the Radio on a single charge
I have never charged it at a Charge Station We don't have to many
Around My Area And there has never been a reason to do it for me
When i was at the post office a lady Told me her
Husband Drive his Leaf To Boston everyday about 75-80 miles
To work Charges it At work And Drives Home
And she said he does 5 days a week on the Mass Pike
And All they have done to it is Replace The Tires
Not sure what year it is But its Earlier Than My 2015

Sounds like you have a solid & reliable LEAF that is working well for your needs. I would find a way to keep it, especially if not constrained by the range.

SageBrush said:
Disorder said:
It Has All The Bars Lit Up And It says 100% After Charge

WHICH bars ?
Yep. Even a car that has lost many capacity bars (and much capacity) will say 100% on a full charge, as it should.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17218 is an example of a fully charged 3 capacity bar loser (9 capacity bars visible).

Disorder said:
The Bars in your dash diagram?

Yes. Circled is a 9 bar capacity car, count them. A new battery will have full 12 bars. At 85% Capacity it will drop first bar. After that another bar will drop every 6-7%. The degraded battery Capacity when fully charged in picture below is probably only about 65% of original.

UCQWQuNl.jpg

Back