dimebucker
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2019

DIY battery replacement for 2011 with newer battery

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:25 pm

What is possible? Is there a kit available?~

I havent found much info on this by using the search function. Can somebody help me out?

cwerdna
Posts: 11197
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: DIY battery replacement for 2011 with newer battery

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Read posts by Cor at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21997.

If you aren't qualified to deal with deadly high voltages and a pack that weighs over 600 lbs, I wouldn't embark on it. I put myself in the unqualified category.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Oilpan4
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: DIY battery replacement for 2011 with newer battery

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:36 pm

A lot is possible.
Whats your budget?
If you plan to do the work you self can you handle a 600lb battery?
Do you know how to work on and have the tools to work on live electrical stuff with out dieing?
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

Tsiah
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:52 am
Delivery Date: 01 Oct 2017
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: DIY battery replacement for 2011 with newer battery

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:25 pm

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/a- ... -of-range/

This company in Quebec is installing 40kWh packs in older cars with plans to do the same with 62kWh packs.

Oilpan4
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: DIY battery replacement for 2011 with newer battery

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 am

Well I might have to plan a trip to oh canada.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

SageBrush
Posts: 5290
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: DIY battery replacement for 2011 with newer battery

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Tsiah wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:25 pm
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/a- ... -of-range/

This company in Quebec is installing 40kWh packs in older cars with plans to do the same with 62kWh packs.
So far as I know ONE second hand pack has been installed, for a total track record of oh .... around a month.

It is a VERY interesting hack -- nothing more
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Tsiah
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:52 am
Delivery Date: 01 Oct 2017
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: DIY battery replacement for 2011 with newer battery

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:04 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Tsiah wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:25 pm
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/a- ... -of-range/

This company in Quebec is installing 40kWh packs in older cars with plans to do the same with 62kWh packs.
So far as I know ONE second hand pack has been installed, for a total track record of oh .... around a month.

It is a VERY interesting hack -- nothing more
So? It works. It's promising for other owners with very depleted batteries. It's at least something and probably cheaper than another 24kWh battery from Nissan.

SageBrush
Posts: 5290
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: DIY battery replacement for 2011 with newer battery

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:38 am

Tsiah wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:04 pm
SageBrush wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Tsiah wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:25 pm
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/a- ... -of-range/

This company in Quebec is installing 40kWh packs in older cars with plans to do the same with 62kWh packs.
So far as I know ONE second hand pack has been installed, for a total track record of oh .... around a month.

It is a VERY interesting hack -- nothing more
So? It works. It's promising for other owners with very depleted batteries. It's at least something and probably cheaper than another 24kWh battery from Nissan.
.
Be my guest
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “Batteries & Charging”