Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
Levenkay said:
Tesla's approach of providing more than one charging station per location would also help.
Very good point. I've read more than a handful of reports of Tesla stations going down but I cannot think of an occurrence where the entire location went down due to malfunction.

So CCS is better off in that regard than poor CHAdeMO
There have been a few occurrences with entire SC sites going down, usually but not always shortly after opening. I haven't been following TMC the way I used to so I don't know if it's still happening occasionally, but it definitely has in the past. I'm not counting those site shutdowns due to power grid failure from natural or technical causes, which aren't under Tesla's or any other PEV manfuacturer's control.

Three sites have opened, making 19 for the month and 251 total: Albuquerque, NM (N.E. of the Jct. I-25/40); Waterloo, NY (Jct. I-90/S.R. 108); Cinncinnati, OH (Jct. I-71/275).

AQE completes the I-25 to I-40 dogleg between Santa Fe and Grants, and with ultra care it's possible to reach Deming (238 miles) or even El Paso (280 miles), in either case using lots of parallel side roads instead of I-25. It's a big site, 9 CCS/1 dual.

Cinncinati is another 9 CCS/1dual site, and makes it much easier to access Kentucky, Tennessee and points south when coming from I-70 east.

Waterloo finally makes Syracuse/Utica - Buffalo practical rather than possible (is that cheering I hear from GetOffYourGas? :lol: ), and awaits the opening of the equally-long delayed Herkimer to make all of I-90 from Albany westward practical.

GRA said:
Waterloo finally makes Syracuse/Utica - Buffalo practical rather than possible (is that cheering I hear from GetOffYourGas? :lol: ), and awaits the opening of the equally-long delayed Herkimer to make all of I-90 from Albany westward practical.

Oh I've been cheering since I got the text at about 2:30pm EDT today (I signed up for alerts via the app). This is the 3rd-most important planned EA station for my travels. Still waiting on Herkimer (#1) and Albany (#2). Albany is well covered by EVGo, so I-90 travelers have options there. But it is a long stretch from Albany to Waterloo - almost 200 miles.

Evoforce said:
Kalamazoo MI EA (worked) after 30 minutes of messing with equipment reboot. Collinsville IL EA (worked). Park Ridge MO EA (worked). Casey's General Store Lebanon MO EA (worked). Vinita OK EA (not working) no matter what was tried!!! Bristol OK EA (not working) no matter what was tried!!! Grants NM EA listed first as broken but was relisted repaired 1 hour before arrival and was pleased that it was (working) but machine sounded abnormal. So, a total of 8 locations tried and 2 of the stations left me stranded. I was very unhappy with the 2 that didn't work as they were listed as working.

Tesla Supercharging was the primary charge station type used. Model S towing over 7,000 cargo trailer. Total weight of full vehicle and full trailer 12,240 lbs. 7 of the 8 EA station layouts did not accommodate well for towing a trailer. The one that did was a pull through station in Kalamazoo MI.

It also has been reported to me that almost none of the EA stations in Arizona work. Problems at Buckeye, New River and Casa Grande that still doesn't work. When I talked to a representative, they said that they are working on training repairmen to address the equipment breakdowns.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Most of the stations have been flaky. I don’t know if they bought cheap equipment or what...

A lot of them are ABB. That company has not had a good track record in AZ at Nissan Dealerships. For one thing, companies haven't learned yet about the need to shade the equipment and customers in hot climates. Solar shading would be good! :)

The joke about ABB == Another Broken Box. In all seriousness, they're a pretty large company and I'd figure their equipment should be at least ok.

cwerdna said:
The joke about ABB == Another Broken Box. In all seriousness, they're a pretty large company and I'd figure their equipment should be at least ok.
I've said it before, but the breakage rate of public charging stations in general is shockingly high, to me. There's something fundamentally wrong here. I don't know what it is.

I think the business model is still figuring itself out. Outside of Tesla, who understands part of the car purchase price is the network, there isn’t a Shell or BP yet in the fast charging world to truly provide the same profitable service.

I had thought 6 years ago, Nissan, GM, and others would hub a network off of their dealers, but they haven’t adjusted to the new model.

It’s why Tesla continues to excel in spite of doubters. It’s also why upstarts can beat better funded established players (unless they are bought by one). Profitable companies (ex Blackberry) don’t know how to rationalize the investment needed. I do believe Google and a couple others are trying to shift that concept, but more exception than common place.

All that said, still happy EA is offering more options, even if flaky. Its why i am very happy to pay for power on road trips, even if it’s almost as much as gas equivalent.

The EA map is showing a total of 254 sites open, but owing to the fact that they change the arrangement of groups often on a daily basis, no obvious change has shown up that way, and despite scrolling through the whole list 3 times I've been unable to spot a new one that way, which is my usual back-up method. Maybe it's just a mistake.

The map is now showing 256 sites but I can only confirm two new ones, which is 23 for the month and 255 total: Houston, TX #2 (I-10, W. of Jct. I-45); Davie, FL (Urb., Jct. S.R. 817/848, btwn. I-75 and I-95, S. of I-595 & WSW of Ft. Lauderdale).

Houston #2 is west of downtown on I-10, while #1 is east.

I visited the Chehalis station today and its gotta be one of the weirdest sights I have seen. First off, you heard of strip malls? Well this site is located in a "strip parking lot" which basically connects Walmart and some other store a block away so its not in "anyone's" parking lot. There is ground being broken in front of the site so eventually something will be there.

Its a rarity in that it has dual head level 2, a single dual format DCFC, two empty pedestals and room to add 5 more stations. It has all the looks of a scene from the Zombie Apocalypse. Like everything was going fine and all of a sudden the plug (pun intended) was pulled.

I visited the Lincolnwood EA tonight. 22.2 KW in 20 minutes. Peak rate 73KW. Pretty sweet, though moved battery from 90 to 110 F in 20 minutes.
view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vwFar3npeDc-tMLMkveRR14qoNY8DJPh/view?usp=drivesdk

Total cost $6

Okay, I think I found the error in the total count, and as of the 28th, 257 is correct. As best I can figure, I forgot to add Greenville, SC back onto my list when it re-opened.

Three sites have opened, making 27 for the month and 260 total: Tacoma, WA (Urb., S.R. 16 W. of I-5); Cedar City, UT (Jct. I-15/S.R. 130); Winslow, AZ (I-40, Exit 253).

Tacoma provides easier access to the Olympic Peninsula from the Seattle area and points north or east.

Cedar City shortens the 146 mile uphill leg from Mesquite to Beaver to two practical legs of 91 and 56 miles, and also provides easy access to Cedar Breaks N.M., and also makes it easier to round trip to Bryce Canyon N.P. from the southwest.

Winslow shortens the 184 mile leg between Gallup and Flagstaff to two practical legs of 128 and 56 miles.

I'll be off line from either today or tomorrow probably until Sunday, as I'm going to climb Mt. Shasta (and do Lassen as a warmup) again for the first time in 25 years or so. If anyone wants to monitor the EA map for any remaining openings in July, zoom the map all the way out so you can see all 48 contiguous states. The current count by area (area names by me), roughly from N-S and W-E is as follows:

PNW, 22
CA , 16
Northern Rockies, 12
Southern Rockies, 23
S. NM & W. TX, 2
Central, 30
Southwest Gulf, 23
Great Lakes, 33
South, 29
NE, 35
Mid-Atlantic and SE coast, 23
FL, 12

Note that both the number of groups, 12 as of today (I've seen anything from 9 to 13 recently), as well as which sites are included in which group may vary seemingly at random, often changing on a daily basis, which makes keeping track of individual site openings difficult. The groups only rarely correspond to state boundaries - e.g. California has 20 open sites right now, but the group I've called "CA" only has 16; the others are included in other groups.

I provide the above info as a starting point, but don't be surprised if the arrangement is completely different when you look. About all you can do if that happens is add up all the groups and get a total, to see if that's changed. If you're lucky enough that the groups (location and #) remain stable since the last time you looked and only some of the individual group totals have changed, you can look around in that group to see if there are any new site names that you don't remember and think might be new. If you post those, when I get back I can check them against my list and verify if they're new.

Sometimes I find it necessary to zoom the map in and out a few times to get a correct count, as some sites have a habit of disappearing and then reappearing for no obvious reason, which may initially lead to a total which is lower than the current one (260 as above). Usually but not always, clicking on one of the group circles to expand it, and then zooming the map all the way back out so you can see fewest number of groups again will fix the problem, but not always. You may have to repeat that a couple of times, and if that doesn't work just wait a day and try again.

Back