Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rogersleaf said:
I'm too chicken to DCFC at those temps so won't see the spike like the graphic chart.
Smart.

As for wimpy,
Our 24 kWh LEAF has been stuck at '6 bars' on the temp gauge for at least a week now. I don't feel like finding out the actual temperature with LEAFspy :shock:

rogersleaf said:
cwerdna said:
That's crazy that the battery temps were above 120 F.
(fixed typo)
Tomorrow (Friday) it's expected to be in the high 90's in Ohio during my afternoon commute. Plan to watch Leafspy on my 40KWh during the return commute which is about 40 miles of continous expressway. Based on previous observations on 91-92* degree days, likely see 110 F battery temps with air temps in the high 90's. The thing I noticed is the pack does not shed heat after it's run hard. Pull a hill at 65-70 or aggressively pass a truck, it gets hot and stays there several hours. That can't be healthy. I'm too chicken to DCFC at those temps so won't see the spike like the graphic chart.
Not surprising... even if I leave my 24 kWh Leaf outside at night for many hours, it will only cool by a few degrees F (say 3 to 5 F) if outside air temp is much cooler than battery temp (e.g. OAT at 60 F or lower and batter temps at say 75 F).

I accidentally left my Leaf out last night and battery temps went from about 74 F at past midnight to about 64 or 65 F at ~8:15 am. IIRC, OATs got no lower than mid to high 50's.

cwerdna said:
rogersleaf said:
cwerdna said:
That's crazy that the battery temps were above 120 F.
(fixed typo)
Tomorrow (Friday) it's expected to be in the high 90's in Ohio during my afternoon commute. Plan to watch Leafspy on my 40KWh during the return commute which is about 40 miles of continous expressway. Based on previous observations on 91-92* degree days, likely see 110 F battery temps with air temps in the high 90's. The thing I noticed is the pack does not shed heat after it's run hard. Pull a hill at 65-70 or aggressively pass a truck, it gets hot and stays there several hours. That can't be healthy. I'm too chicken to DCFC at those temps so won't see the spike like the graphic chart.
Not surprising... even if I leave my 24 kWh Leaf outside at night for many hours, it will only cool by a few degrees F (say 3 to 5 F) if outside air temp is much cooler than battery temp (e.g. OAT at 60 F or lower and batter temps at say 75 F).

I accidentally left my Leaf out last night and battery temps went from about 74 F at past midnight to about 64 or 65 F at ~8:15 am. IIRC, OATs got no lower than mid to high 50's.
Left the house @ 6:30 this morning, car was charging pre-dawn hours on 6.6KW and was to @ 90% SOC when unplugged to leave. Air temp was 78, was running late so didn’t mess with leafspy but noticed the temp gauge was still 1 click to the right of center so likely 95 F or slightly higher. Bet this will be toast this afternoon.

rogersleaf said:
cwerdna said:
rogersleaf said:

Left the house @ 6:30 this morning, car was charging pre-dawn hours on 6.6KW and was to @ 90% SOC when unplugged to leave. Air temp was 78, was running late so didn’t mess with leafspy but noticed the temp gauge was still 1 click to the right of center so likely 95 F or slightly higher. Bet this will be toast this afternoon.

Might lose two or three days of battery life today, rather than just one.

WetEV said:
rogersleaf said:
cwerdna said:

Let me continue your sentence --

Might lose two or three days of battery life today, rather than just one PNW day
When the current heat wave passes, he will be back to a leisurely daily loss of 1.5 - 2x PNW day

SageBrush said:
Might lose two or three days of battery life today, rather than just one PNW day
When the current heat wave passes, he will be back to a leisurely daily loss of 1.5 - 2x PNW day

Let me continue.

And his battery will only last 15 years rather than 20 years.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

Let me continue.

You mean 10 - 15 years ... until range is ohh ... around 10 miles.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

Let me continue.

You mean 10 - 15 years ... until range is ohh ... around 10 miles.

If it was a 2011, perhaps. Newer LEAF batteries are much better. You did know that, didn't you?

WetEV said:
rogersleaf said:
cwerdna said:

This turned out to be a non-event relative to the heat. This afternoon leaving work air temp was 96 F and dropped gradually to 90 by the time I got home an hour later. Leafspy showed battery temps 95-96 F to start, which gradually climbed over 30 minutes to a max of 102 F where it stabilized. Afterwards, ran some local errands and checked Leafspy again after 3 hours, battery temps dropped to 97 F.

webeleafowners said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
webeleafowners said:
Or neither. Sounds like a false alarm.

I have appt to get it installed Aug 1st. We shall see

Please keep us informed. Appreciate it.

Something you might be interested in... ;)

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/23/nissan-quietly-releases-rapidgate-software-update-for-north-american-leaf-owners/

DaveinOlyWA said:
webeleafowners said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I have appt to get it installed Aug 1st. We shall see

Please keep us informed. Appreciate it.

Something you might be interested in... ;)

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/23/nissan-quietly-releases-rapidgate-software-update-for-north-american-leaf-owners/

Thank you for the link.

I reached out again to Nissan about this, and this time I received this reply:

"I apologize as I know this is different information than I recently provided you. At this point yes, I can confirm that Nissan has released a software update for early 2018-2019 LEAF customers with a 40kWh battery in the U.S. and Canada to update quick charging software. This update allows for faster charging during multiple quick charging sessions. Customers can visit their local Nissan dealership to confirm if they’re vehicle requires an update and schedule one if needed."

So good, This will certainly placate those that feel that this is a big deal. Congratulations to all.

Back