New Software Update to fix Rapidgate

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrydehoja

Looks like 2018 & 2019 Leaf models in North America get the software update to match Europe...

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/23/nissan-quietly-releases-rapidgate-software-update-for-north-american-leaf-owners/

"The bulletin tells technicians to apply the updated software if the customer complains of slow DC fast charging, or if they complain of inability to fast charge at all after several consecutive sessions"

So, you have to complain in order to get the update? Why wouldn't they update the software on all 2018-2019 Leafs?

Tortoisehead77 said:
"The bulletin tells technicians to apply the updated software if the customer complains of slow DC fast charging, or if they complain of inability to fast charge at all after several consecutive sessions"

So, you have to complain in order to get the update? Why wouldn't they update the software on all 2018-2019 Leafs?

If I were to guess I'd say it's because they know it to be harmful. Or, it could be a more benign case of "don't spend the effort ($). Screw 'em unless they really complain". Which scenario makes you feel better about Nissan? :lol:

My previous vehicle had a "keep it quiet" repair like this for the HVAC, only to be performed upon customer complaint, to improve the cooling. Was it just a cynical "let 'em live with it"? Or was it because they had to nerf the AC to pass EPA fleet economy? Who knows. The hilarious aspect is the manufacturers still don't seem to grasp that "secret repair" goals don't really pan out in the Internet age.

Tortoisehead77 said:
Maybe they're looking for Beta testers on this software update. Let's see what goes wrong... :lol:

I had the software update and it seems to be working. Before when the Temps are above 80F and I arrive at the DC charger with one bar to the right of the middle, it would only charge at 25 kW. Now it will charge at 32 kW, the same rate as when the temp gauge is in the middle or less.

It is interesting to hear the difference in experience with the 40 vs the 62 kWh pack. I have charged above 50KW starting with 2 bars to the right of half way (on that meter, and I didn't have my leaf spy set up at the time) . It tapered only in the 70's% wise with the meter sitting all the way to the first high battery mark, but the taper was pretty much in line with what is normal for when you get to the top quarter of the battery.

Now that I have Leafspy back on (had to order a new dongle), in my last Chademo, I charged from 12% to 50% on the dash (21% to 55% on Leafspy) and temp rose from 90 to 118 Degrees, with a charge rate starting in the 70s (73kW Peak charging rate) slowly moving to 60-61kW when I finished. Again, I don't think that was temp limited, more as the battery fills charge rate slowly decreases limited.

I have a good long drive this weekend, so will watch battery temp on extended freeway speeds. I didn't notice any battery movement last time, but the gauge isn't very granular on the dash.

DougWantsALeaf said:
with a charge rate starting in the 70s (73kWh Peak charging rate) slowly moving to 60-61kWh when I finished.
-
The charge rate is in kW. Is that what you are trying to convey ?

Back