NA RapidGate Fix

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this on the Nissan-Tech site listed above:

Subject: SB 2018-2019 LEAF; Lithium-Ion Battery Will Not Quick Charge
Summary of NTB19056:
IF YOU CONFIRM
The customer states their vehicle will not charge with a quick charge setting after many back-to-back quick charges or it takes too long to charge with a quick charge setting.
NOTE:
* DTC U1009-96 (Quick charger comm [Quick charger communication]) may be stored.
* This issue applies to vehicles equipped with a 40 kWh lithium-ion battery only.
ACTION
Refer to step 20 under SERVICE PROCEDURE to confirm this bulletin applies to the vehicle being worked on.
* If this bulletin applies, reprogram the lithium battery controllers (LBC) for HV BATTERY 2 and HV BATTERY.
See this bulletin for further detail.

Is this the document? NTB19056

Remind me again what the temperature threshold is for reduced power in a LEAF ?
Nissan is not going to let the charging reach that threshold so the update may provide a "benefit" to the PNW and in the winter but I don't expect charging in hot summers to be much different than current experience.

Nonetheless, the lottery is on !
Guess the maximum battery temperature that gets reported to MNL over the next year.

By the way, doesn't Nissan cancel the battery warranty for sustained high battery temperatures ?
This is going to be fun.

I actually looked and according to the warranty, under "what is NOT covered" includes exposing the car to "ambient temperatures above 120F (49C) for 24 hours"

Ambient temperatures means the outside temperature.

I honestly see nothing about the actual battery temperature nor fast charging.

Now that makes me wonder if Nissan records the data from the temp sensor or how they would prove you left the car above 120F for 24 hrs straight. Even in Death Valley it drops below 120F at night.

So really it means doing an experiment and exposing it to artificially high ambient temps or I suppose leaving it in the garage of hell.

But otherwise Nissan must honor their warranty, such as it is.

danrjones said:
I actually looked and according to the warranty, under "what is NOT covered" includes exposing the car to "ambient temperatures above 120F (49C) for 24 hours"
Fair enough, thanks for tracking this down.

Owners better hope that the sensor is not near the battery.

danrjones said:
Now that makes me wonder if Nissan records the data from the temp sensor or how they would prove you left the car above 120F for 24 hrs straight. Even in Death Valley it drops below 120F at night. ...

Perhaps not in an unventilated garage in Death Valley? Or left in a paint oven? Not sure what they were imagining here.

I don't recall that the vehicle stores a log, but I imagine it could be maintaining a counter e.g.: "consecutive hours above 120F" and then trip a flag if it reaches 24. No idea if it actually does an hourly check though.

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:

That's a good question as to where the ambient temp sensor is. I know mine, like every car I've had, reads high until you drive around a bit and cool it down back to ambient. That said, even in my earthquake ridden hot hellhole of a location here I haven't seen it even hit 120F. YET. :D

^^ There is something peculiar in this.
The car cannot take temps over 49C for 24 hours ... but the battery can ?

I can only guess that Nissan engineers set an ambient limit based on some type of load calculation where they worked backwards. They didn't want the battery above some sustained level of 55C (or something) so they backed that out to be 49C ambient. Assuming the battery is always at or above ambient temps, which makes sense to me.

On the other hand, it could be this was Nissan simply putting into the warranty a hook to make sure any experimenting on the car voided your warranty, since its obviously not something you would ever hit in real life.

Hi All. I just joined to add some information that might be of use to you. I had the fix applied to my 2018 Leaf SL yesterday while I was getting another issue checked out.

I read the ECU versions using Leaf Spy before and after the update. HV BATTERY went from 5SA3A to 5SA3B.

Time will tell how much this helps. On my last drive from Vancouver up the Coquihalla, my first and second DCFCs were significantly impacted, so any improvement will be welcomed.

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:

it's not clear if the 24 hours is consecutive or cumulative?

????Is the 24 hours consecutive????
???? Is the 24 hours total during the warranty period???
???? Would 12 hours at 120F then 12 hours at 110F then 12 at 120F again be considered 12 hours for warranty issue????

Just a warning for those getting the update. My car would not fast charge after getting the update. Found this out on a long trip with the family unfortunately.

However after rebooting the car (disconnecting the 12v battery) the fast charging worked.

A better rapidgate fix - the muxsan extender battery:

https://youtu.be/FzuKyi_Z7kc

Really impressive work these guys are doing, gives me hope that eventually I'll be able to replace the battery pack in my 2013 LEAF with more than 40 kWh of capacity and good road trip performance too!

Back