2019 Leaf SV - Nav unit failed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregn

Hi,
Has anyone else had their Nav unit fail?
Had the car 2 months 1700 miles. It was built 9/18 so it has had some time on lots and such.
It is obviously a warranty item and I have an appointment. I was just curious if this is at all common.
The car drives fine and the Nissan Connect app still can contact the car for status.
It's nice to know that there isn't one master computer that runs everything.
I'll post the outcome when it fixed.
Thanks,
Greg

I've heard of nav screens getting broken by lumber people were trying to haul, and of folks having their SD cards stolen. I've heard of people having the button that triggers their nav screen to tilt down for CD/SSD access (this feature's no longer there in current production LEAFs) short out when they tried to clean their touch screen with too much Windex. But yours is the first claim of outright failure of the nav unit itself I can remember.

Update;
Took it to the dealer, They had me come in by appointment.
They determined it was the Nav unit that had failed and ordered one. Week wait.
Appointment took about an hour and I was on my way.
Not a bad experience overall.
I'll post when it is fixed.

Greg

When powering on the car the Nav unit usually shows a Nissan Logo then A Nissan Connect logo before The rest of the boot up process.
This one was stuck in a loop between the two logos and blank. This lasted for a couple on minutes then remained blank.
Along with that the clock lost 3 hours but still keeps time. Lost Daylite Saving and a compile of times zones it seems.
on the drivers display there is an option for a compass heading. The compass is gone but the image of the car remains.
Back up camera is off also.
Everything else about the car works fine. Climate control ( can't tell what the temp is but since I remember where I had it I can count presses),
All charging functions including timers.
I did take some Leaf Spy screen shots of the DTC code screen and the versions screen to see if anything changes once it's fixed.

Update;
Well finally the new nav unit came in. A month wait for that part. I hope my can never needs any more important components. I would hate to be without if for this long. I also had to keep calling to find out. The dealer didn't bother to let me know when it arrived. I've never been a fan of dealer service departments.
I have an appointment today to get it replaced. Fortunately its a fast install.
I'll update when it's fixed.
This is where LeafSpy really shines. There are some useful tools on the nav display to figure out really range. Without it you have to either know your area or use other sources. LeafSpy is realtime and in the car with you. Great tool!
Greg

Update 2,
The appointment yesterday went well or so it seemed.
A couple of hours and I was heading home. It was then I noticed the Climate control status wouldn't display. Said it was off no matter what I did with it.
All the energy display pages showed asterisks. No reading on the power meters. I called and brought it back.
Another hour and the manger said they couldn't get it to work and they needed to get Nissan engineers involved. This is a 2 month old car. Well technically 6 months old. Build date was 9/18 but I'm the first owner.
Thankfully they gave me a loaner. Took a second to adapt to an ICE car.
They have 30 days by Vermont's Lemon Law. I say that cause since it took a month to get the nav unit. I had the car all that time.
I guess well see.
Greg

Update 3.
After the weekend I went to go to work in the loaner car it that was dead. Called the dealer later that morning and reported the boat anchor and they said my car was ready.
Turns out when they called the Nissan techs they found out their computer used to configure the new Nav unit wasn't configured properly.
This is good news as it wasn't an issue with my car. Bad news in that the dealer techs don't really get the training they need.
Anyway they brought my car to me at work then dealt with the dead loaner.
All is well that ends well.
greg

Back