2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning Sagebrush and thanks for your response.

Our particular trip is 2230 km with the route we take. With the grand Cherokee it was always 4 days. Usually on the road by 8 and off the road by 16:30 -1700. Pretty relaxed day. Both the chihuahua and I need about a 15 minute break every two or three hours. Leisurely lunch.

We know it’s not exactly the right tool for the job but this is leisure time so we are willing to compromise a bit.

Two questions for you.

1. Why do you use such a slow average for charging. I know that many of the Chademo are 50 Kw but have also noticed some newer ones are higher. Probably have to target those.

2. What does patch the car for higher temperature charging. Is that a thing on an Eplus?

Appreciate your insight. Maybe lunch will have to be more leisurely and breaks a little longer. :)

We do this trip in the coolest part of the year. November down and February back. That will hopefully help.

2. What does patch the car for higher temperature charging. Is that a thing on an Eplus?

Nissan has released a software "patch" - possibly the same one as released in Europe - that allows the 40kwh Leafs to charge faster than they do now when battery temperature is elevated. I don't know if this will be released for the 62kwh pack or not. I think I agree that this will not be a good thing for Leaf batteries.

LeftieBiker said:

Nissan has released a software "patch" - possibly the same one as released in Europe - that allows the 40kwh Leafs to charge faster than they do now when battery temperature is elevated. I don't know if this will be released for the 62kwh pack or not. I think I agree that this will not be a good thing for Leaf batteries.

Ahhh yes. I read about it. Speaking with a local here who goes back and forth to Vancouver he hasn’t seen any of the Rapid gate symptoms on his Eplus. Some seriously big hills involved in that trip too. 500 ish kilometres. Close to 1500 meters of altitude change. Is the Eplus less susceptible to rapid gate situations maybe?

webeleafowners said:
Two questions for you.

1. Why do you use such a slow average for charging. I know that many of the Chademo are 50 Kw but have also noticed some newer ones are higher. Probably have to target those.

-
1. I figure you are going to come up against both rapid-gate and the need to charge to a high SoC to reach the next charger

2. I'm referrring to the recent news that Nissan is willing to offer software updates to 2018-2019 LEAF owners who are are willing to toast their batteries in order to gain faster charging.

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
Two questions for you.

-
1. I figure you are going to come up against both rapid-gate and the need to charge to a high SoC to reach the next charger

2. I'm referrring to the recent news that Nissan is willing to offer software updates to 2018-2019 LEAF owners who are are willing to toast their batteries in order to gain faster charging.

It will be an interesting adventure. My wife wants to take the coastal route and add two days to the trip. If we do that it will probably cut our daily distance down to under 500 km. I’m just guessing but probably lower average speed as well. That is all an uncharted route for us as we are use to taking I5 ..... which she hates. :)

Posted this on the EA thread as well, but was able to charge at above 72 KW on one of the new EA chargers in the area.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vwFar3npeDc-tMLMkveRR14qoNY8DJPh/view?usp=drivesdk

End state of charge: 50%
Total energy delivered: 22.1 kWh
Max charging rate: 73.29 kW
Charging time: 00:20:17
Grace period: 00:10 min
Paid idle time: 00:00

Actually what surprised me was that at 12% on the dash, I still had 21% and 156 Gids left per Leafspy. An 8-9% buffer means you could go 20or so miles beyond the milage displayed.

Does anyone know when the low battery warning kicks in? I haven’t been patient enough to get to it yet.

156 Gids was 2/3rds battery when my 13 leaf was new. Now that’s nearly the reserve.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Posted this on the EA thread as well, but was able to charge at above 72 KW on one of the new EA chargers in the area.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vwFar3npeDc-tMLMkveRR14qoNY8DJPh/view?usp=drivesdk

End state of charge: 50%
Total energy delivered: 22.1 kWh
Max charging rate: 73.29 kW
Charging time: 00:20:17
Grace period: 00:10 min
Paid idle time: 00:00

Interesting. I noticed the new BC hydro stations going in are all 100 kw or greater Chademo and CCS. Or at least that’s what users are reporting. I looked at one and couldn’t tell. The exception are the few single phase 25 KW units at remote rest stops. Still handy though.

Kinda cool to see you took on 22 kwh in 20 minutes.

Webleafowner

Yeah, I was very plesantly surprised, as I only expected to see the 53KW I have recieved at other stations. What is additionally nice, is that this keeps me at the .25/minute rate and not the higher tier rates.

Its also good to see that the Leaf Plus can charge at faster rates then the earlier cars as promised. I only had 20 minutes. Some other time I will try to do a fuller charge to see if I get a better graph of where the charging rate reduces (though I know others have done this too).

DougWantsALeaf said:
Webleafowner

Yeah, I was very plesantly surprised, as I only expected to see the 53KW I have recieved at other stations. What is additionally nice, is that this keeps me at the .25/minute rate and not the higher tier rates.

Its also good to see that the Leaf Plus can charge at faster rates then the earlier cars as promised. I only had 20 minutes. Some other time I will try to do a fuller charge to see if I get a better graph of where the charging rate reduces (though I know others have done this too).

Looking forward to your future reports.

I was digging through some old posts and came across one that suggested that opening the hood can reduce the rate of battery temperature increase.

Has anyone else tried that? Any success?

DougWantsALeaf said:
I was digging through some old posts and came across one that suggested that opening the hood can reduce the rate of battery temperature increase.

Has anyone else tried that? Any success?

I'm sure that it helps. The question is indeed "How much"? It would help most with an active cooling system, of course.

Yes, Active cooling would be better. While I have yet to run into an issue charging due to heat, I have had the battery get pretty hot, so just looking at ideas, as for July and August. The other months, it really doesn't matter as ambient temperatures fall pretty fast, and the extra heat on the battery becomes a positive, not a negative.

Think I fixed the permissions

view

A couple more positive reviews.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/nissans-bigger-battery-bev-the-2019-leaf-plus-review/

https://jalopnik.com/the-nissan-leaf-plus-is-finally-normalized-for-the-mass-1836627120

This tester appears to have been able to get better efficiency out of the Leaf Plus then the Tesla 3 LR. It’s a minute or two into the video when he shows the spreadsheet. The road he tests on is 50km/h<— guess it’s 70 kWh/w or about 31mph. It’s interesting that at speeds where drag is not much of a factor how much rankings change. Ionic and Soul do very well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSrM1xaERk

Back