Nissan's Included L1 (120v) EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prberg said:
Quick question about the supplied L1 EVSE. Why did they make the wall plug cord length so short? It's like 12 or 18" My wall outlet is more than 18" off the ground, so the unit will just dangle there and put pressure on the wall plug. I did recently read that there are some holes where you can put some rope through? Seems like a cheesy solution but is that what others are going to do? Rig up some rope hanging thing so the wire doesn't get strained?

The other thought is an extension cord (Which was discussed earlier). That would get me some more slack on the wall plug end, and extend the unit if needed. So I was trying to find the best advice on that one. Shorter length is better.. so 15' (no more than 25' right)? At least 12 gauge? But #10 would be better?

thanks,
Peter

Likely so it is compact in the trunk and intended to be used only in emergencies with a cord. 12G is fine at any length as that is the gage of your home wiring.

prberg said:
The other thought is an extension cord (Which was discussed earlier). That would get me some more slack on the wall plug end, and extend the unit if needed. So I was trying to find the best advice on that one. Shorter length is better.. so 15' (no more than 25' right)? At least 12 gauge? But #10 would be better?
I would use a short #12. Probably #14 would be fine as it is just a 15a circuit, yes? #10 would be overkill and a waste.

prberg said:
Quick question about the supplied L1 EVSE. Why did they make the wall plug cord length so short?
I answered this back on the first page of this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1401&start=7

IEC standards require that the pilot signal be generated within 0.3 meters of the wall plug. (Which also makes any use of an extension cord problematic. I'd hate to have to rationalize it to a fire insurance adjuster.)

If anybody (in my area) who actually has one of Nissan's "included" L1 EVSE's is wanting to find out what is inside, I am willing to assist.

Please PM me and we might chat and even arrange for a meeting and some gentle "investigation".

Of course, we would not modify anything, but we might be able to see how it is built, and how difficult it might be to "upgrade" such a unit. :D

Gary, I looked mine over last night and there aren't any visible screws for disassembly. There are some rubber feet glued on that could have screws, but I'm not sure I want to get into it that bad just yet. I'm still using it until my 2nd meter gets installed.

I haven't skimmed the whole thread, but has anyone seen that it is made by Panasonic? Interesting. I did a Google search for the part number to see what a replacement would cost, but couldn't find it anywhere yet.

RedRandy

Yes, if you are actively using it, best to not open it.

The screws are most likely under the six "feet" (really hole-fillers in the "feet").

Yes, Panasonic apparently makes several slightly different models for Nissan to use worldwide: 120v/240v, 12a/13a (maybe 16a), etc. Probably just minor changes inside and different labels.

Randy said:
I haven't skimmed the whole thread, but has anyone seen that it is made by Panasonic? Interesting. I did a Google search for the part number to see what a replacement would cost, but couldn't find it anywhere yet.

RedRandy
P/N according to the PD: "296M1 - 3NA0A" but no cost data. Does this match with what's on the bottom of yours ?

I just looked up that part number on a parts website found by a google search. according to everythingnissan.com the part number is for package-evse and the list price is $625.00 and the price they are selling it for is $508.39. I work for a dealer so I will ask what is costs from them when I get a chance.I guess they are trying to make it cost prohibitive so you will buy the a/v one.
Aaron

eringo2659 said:
I just looked up that part number on a parts website found by a google search. according to everythingnissan.com the part number is for package-evse and the list price is $625.00 and the price they are selling it for is $508.39. I work for a dealer so I will ask what is costs from them when I get a chance.I guess they are trying to make it cost prohibitive so you will buy the a/v one.
Aaron
Do you have a link? I can't find this part in the everythingnissan.com site. Thanks.

eringo2659 said:
according to everythingnissan.com the part number is for package-evse and the list price is $625.00 and the price they are selling it for is $508.39.
A $625 list price and about a $500 street price is about what I expected. Not that I would want to pay that much for it mind you.

I am eagerly awaiting cost and availability of the SPX unit that is very similar to this unit but larger and handles 240v 32a L2 charging. Its discussed here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1442

I just called my parts dept and found it to be $447.38 my cost. before everyone gets excited I cannot buy more than 1 at this cost. When I went to the everythingnissan.com website I just generically searched by part number. Also I have a new idea, buying an aerovironment unit and hardwiring a nema 14-50 plug so as to make it portable.
Aaron

eringo2659 said:
I just called my parts dept and found it to be $447.38 my cost. before everyone gets excited I cannot buy more than 1 at this cost. When I went to the everythingnissan.com website I just generically searched by part number. Also I have a new idea, buying an aerovironment unit and hardwiring a nema 14-50 plug so as to make it portable.
Aaron
Still can't reproduce the search. I'm using this page. Have entered "296M13NA0A", "296M1-3NA0A", "296M1 3NA0A" etc.. and I get nothing.
Adding a plug to an EVSE is going to be a pretty common epiphany among owners. I know at least one who has already done this.

If anybody has a "Nissan" L1 EVSE that they are not using regularly,
AND they would like to explore what it would take to make it L2-capable,
and perhaps even 16-amp capable for use on 20-amp (or higher) circuits ...
I am willing to help. Please PM me.

Has anyone worked up the nerve to plug the L1 evse into a 220V outlet and see if it works?

I assume the label on it says something like 110V and not 110/220V or 100-240VAC input like a laptop brick.

EVDRIVER said:
Many people will do that but it's not the best portable solution but it will work.
Maybe you can share what you're thinking?

I'd like to see a J1772 version of this.

richard said:
Still can't reproduce the search. I'm using this page. Have entered "296M13NA0A", "296M1-3NA0A", "296M1 3NA0A" etc.. and I get nothing.

works fine for me. enter any of the parts # you listed and select nissan and then hit "get parts" and it comes up.

richard said:
EVDRIVER said:
Many people will do that but it's not the best portable solution but it will work.
Maybe you can share what you're thinking?

I'd like to see a J1772 version of this.

That Tesla option is a great solution except for the price and lack of a J1772 interface. Of course, everything Tesla is expensive.

Some of us I am sure are working on our own ideas/designs for a portable EVSE. I will not be posting details of what I create when I build my own unless it is a modular design with off the shelf components. High current AC is nothing to experiment with and I do not want anyone else trying to follow my footsteps without knowing what they are fully doing. You not only have to consider the system you are building but where you plan on plugging into, current capability wise.

palmermd said:
works fine for me. enter any of the parts # you listed and select nissan and then hit "get parts" and it comes up.
Javascript was disabled in my browser. Once enabled, it worked. Thanks.

The Nissan L1 label, shown earlier in this thread, I think, is for 120v (+/-) use only, and 12 amp output.

DO NOT just plug this EVSE into 220 or 240 volts to "see what happens".

If you are seriously interested in using it as L2, then FIRST take it to a qualified person (there are several on this forum) to OPEN it up and see if 240v-capable components are used inside.

The possibility of "smoking" the L1 EVSE is too high to "just experiment".

If nothing else, PM me and we can "investigate" together, even by long distance.

I see trouble ahead-- If we use these chargers at motels or in other public places they are going to get stolen-- too easy to take and worth over $500. I see them on eBay by the end of the year! Yes we can "lock" them but that won't stop anyone who is serious about taking them.

Back