Oilpan4
Gold Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm

Yeah I know that's why I put it in my toys that don't have anti lock brakes.
It's way thicker than organic brake fluid and won't flow through the anti lock solenoids at the correct rate to do the anti locking thing.
I'm still changing brake fluid every few years in the on road vehicles.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO
Location: 88103

LeafTaxi
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am
Delivery Date: 14 Jan 2019

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:43 am

I'm at my 2-year anniversary of purchase. Last year, I changed the cabin filter and took the car in for its 1-year visit, with the old filter and new box sitting on the floor, so that they wouldn't ask to replace it for "only $50." The "battery test" was free, but I think there was a nominal charge ($35?) for "shop supplies" or something... no biggie, I eat their donuts & coffee while I use their DCFC sometimes.

This year, I could do the same thing, but also do a brake fluid change. The big bottle of Valvoline DOT3/4 is $7.50, and I need some for my motorcycle anyway. But I was wondering: is there an official procedure which needs to be followed? (I usually use a vacuum pump to suck-out fluid, one wheel at a time, starting with the wheels closest to the MC). The Maintenance Guide just says "Replace brake fluid", but the Owner's Manual doesn't give a procedure. Also, do I need to keep some documentation, other than the brake fluid receipt?

This is my first car under warranty, so I've never had to care about this stuff before.

Goodbar
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017
Location: Washington, D.C. Metro

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:50 am

LeafTaxi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:43 am
I'm at my 2-year anniversary of purchase. Last year, I changed the cabin filter and took the car in for its 1-year visit, with the old filter and new box sitting on the floor, so that they wouldn't ask to replace it for "only $50." The "battery test" was free, but I think there was a nominal charge ($35?) for "shop supplies" or something... no biggie, I eat their donuts & coffee while I use their DCFC sometimes.

This year, I could do the same thing, but also do a brake fluid change. The big bottle of Valvoline DOT3/4 is $7.50, and I need some for my motorcycle anyway. But I was wondering: is there an official procedure which needs to be followed? (I usually use a vacuum pump to suck-out fluid, one wheel at a time, starting with the wheels closest to the MC). The Maintenance Guide just says "Replace brake fluid", but the Owner's Manual doesn't give a procedure. Also, do I need to keep some documentation, other than the brake fluid receipt?

This is my first car under warranty, so I've never had to care about this stuff before.
Here's the page from the service manual. Note: Turn the power ON without touching the brake pedal (i.e., 2 presses)
Image
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13273
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:57 pm

That looks like SOP to me.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeafTaxi
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am
Delivery Date: 14 Jan 2019

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Interesting that the shop manual doesn't want techs to use a vacuum pump. If I'm alone, I typically pre-pump the pedal to remove residual vacuum from the booster, but then use a vacuum pump when I crack open the bleeder valve. Using no vacuum works fine, but is easiest with an assistant, which would add labor cost for the dealer.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5401
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:57 pm
That looks like SOP to me.
There's a bit more to it when viewed in the context of *replacing* the brake fluid instead of just bleeding air. There are specific steps listed under "draining" the brake fluid that I suspect pertain to making sure the fluid in the ABS gets replaced. Some cars specifically require connection to diagnostic equipment to flush the ABS so Nissan may have actually thrown us a bone here.

My thoughts in full, as well as the larger section of the manual in this thread: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20866
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

powersurge
Posts: 1500
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:53 am

That "procedure" page appears to have the wheel order wrong for bleeding the brakes.. The rears are done first, (right, then left). and then the fronts (right then left).. Strange...

Also, replacing fluid uses alot of fluid because you are changing the entire system. it is not just a few pumps for each wheel... You keep on bleeding until the color of the fluid turns clear (new fluid)..

Goodbar
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017
Location: Washington, D.C. Metro

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:18 am

Nubo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 pm
LeftieBiker wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:57 pm
That looks like SOP to me.
There's a bit more to it when viewed in the context of *replacing* the brake fluid instead of just bleeding air. There are specific steps listed under "draining" the brake fluid that I suspect pertain to making sure the fluid in the ABS gets replaced. Some cars specifically require connection to diagnostic equipment to flush the ABS so Nissan may have actually thrown us a bone here.

My thoughts in full, as well as the larger section of the manual in this thread: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20866
Why would the drain procedure be better for brake fluid replacement? My thought was that having the brake system energized would cause the pump to move fresh fluid through the ABS module without introducing air, though I don't have confirmation that it's so. I used the bleed procedure until I could see the fresh fluid — the old stuff (at 2 yrs) was surprisingly dark.
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A

Goodbar
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017
Location: Washington, D.C. Metro

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 am

powersurge wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:53 am
That "procedure" page appears to have the wheel order wrong for bleeding the brakes.. The rears are done first, (right, then left). and then the fronts (right then left).. Strange...

Also, replacing fluid uses alot of fluid because you are changing the entire system. it is not just a few pumps for each wheel... You keep on bleeding until the color of the fluid turns clear (new fluid)..
I've bled the brakes on about a half-dozen ABS-equipped cars (various makes) that have a "non-intuitive" order. The results have been good. Barring some obvious mistake in the factory service manual, I'm sticking to the prescribed order.
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A

LeafTaxi
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am
Delivery Date: 14 Jan 2019

Re: Question on Service Intervals

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:40 am

Nubo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 pm

There's a bit more to it when viewed in the context of *replacing* the brake fluid instead of just bleeding air. There are specific steps listed under "draining" the brake fluid that I suspect pertain to making sure the fluid in the ABS gets replaced. Some cars specifically require connection to diagnostic equipment to flush the ABS so Nissan may have actually thrown us a bone here.

My thoughts in full, as well as the larger section of the manual in this thread: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20866
...which says
the service manual doesn't explicitly give a "flush" procedure. There's a "drain", a "refill" and a "bleed" procedure.
I am personally satisfied that changing fluid in the reservoir plus in calipers and the connecting lines between them will eventually mix with fluid in the ABS, because this is a fluid, and it moves... but that's my own decision (I am frequently wrong). Draining the master cylinder dry sets you up for a lot of extra work, and I suspect that dealers would not take the time.

My primary concern is that I don't say something to the dealer that lets them twist my arm with a "well, if that's what you did, then you need to let us do it right, or else your warranty is void" argument. So if the Maintenance Guide says "Flush", but there is no maintenance procedure for Flush, what should I tell the dealer that I did?

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”