Charging your Leaf with a Electric Solar Generator

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddyllee

Charging your Volt with a Electric Solar Generator.... is it possible?

Can I use this generator - https://www.pointzeroenergy.com/product/homegrid-5000-hd/

And this Level 2 Charging cable - https://www.amazon.com/MUSTART-Portable-Charger-Electric-Charging/dp/B077DC39J9/

You'd need a lot of panels, and at least enough batteries to charge the car alone for a couple of hours, as buffers. Level one charging would be much easier, and cheaper.

Yeah Level 1 should work easliy but Level 2 is trickier might need the Ultimate level package 8,4oo watt battery generator in order to do the level 2 charging.

I have a 255ah 24v forklift battery and outback inverter. It will charge my leaf on level 2 with the 12 amp charger.
When the power goes out and I were to need to charge my leaf I would just fire up one of my gasoline powered generators and save the battery and inverter for running the refrigerator and other important intermittent low draw loads.

LeftieBiker said:
You'd need a lot of panels, and at least enough batteries to charge the car alone for a couple of hours, as buffers. Level one charging would be much easier, and cheaper.

buddyllee;
If you get the dual MPPT input version - you could use around 3000 watts of panels (+/- 10 good 300 watt panels). On a sunny day you could then get about 12 kWh of energy to charge your vehicle but only if you charge during the day. You could add more battery storage to the unit to store all that solar energy so that you can level 2 charge after the sun goes down. Of course, many other options, but this would use the full capabilities of such a unit. Personally, I would look into a commercial grid tied solar system with something like the SMA inverter that has a 120 VAC outlet that works in the off-grid mode, although that would limit you to 1900 watts of level 1 (in good sun). With a properly sized system, you could get about the same 12 kWh as there is usually 7-8 hours of usable sun (off grid) - and you will save on your electricity bill 24/7 (on grid).

Bottom line, many many ways to "skin this cat", however, my opinion is that the solar generator is not the answer unless you must have the inverter/battery unit easily transportable for some reason (between fixed solar panel installations :?: ).

Back