Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this assumes that you are constantly putting your destination into the computer.

Personally, While I use the GPS on on occasion, wont use it for most common routes, even ones hundreds of miles, and find the Leaf gom pretty good, way better than the 2013 gom.

It’s funny (again I really like Tesla cars and was outvoted to get one) is that the is one gripe my colleagues have is that don’t like the Tesla range system. They refer to the range shown as electric miles and that its takes more then one electric mile to do a real mile in their X and 3.

I don’t have enough time time in a Tesla to comment, but found the commentary interestingness contrary to this thread. The videos showing % remaining on arrival look pretty impressive.

DougWantsALeaf said:
All this assumes that you are constantly putting your destination into the computer.
Only if you are constantly driving hundreds of miles to different destinations.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Personally, While I use the GPS on on occasion, wont use it for most common routes, even ones hundreds of miles, and find the Leaf gom pretty good, way better than the 2013 gom.

It’s funny (again I really like Tesla cars and was outvoted to get one) is that the is one gripe my colleagues have is that don’t like the Tesla range system. They refer to the range shown as electric miles and that its takes more then one electric mile to do a real mile in their X and 3.

I don’t have enough time time in a Tesla to comment, but found the commentary interestingness contrary to this thread. The videos showing % remaining on arrival look pretty impressive.

You should already have an idea of how much battery you'd consume for the routes that you drive often, even long ones. If it's hundreds of miles, where you need to charge in between, or the consumption will vary significantly enough due to wind speed, then it just seems prudent to use the NAV to get that % remaining on arrival estimate.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Interesting. I have found the rated range to be dead on for my 2013 model S85. I typically drive 69 MPH on the freeway. If I start a long drive with 200 miles of rated range (80% charge for me) and drive 120 miles the rated range left is usually close to 80 miles. This is true even when I drive from 240 feet elevation up to 4100 feet elevation in the mountains and back again to my house. As long as I am doing a round trip the rated range is a very close approximation for me. Yesterday I started with 222 miles of rated range, drove 130 miles including up to 6100 feet in the mountains and back to home at 240 feet elevation. I ended up with 84 miles of rated range so at total of 214 miles (84+130) were accounted for. Probably was a little less than the 222 miles due to having 3 people in the car with our day packs and climbing over 5000 feet (we did get quite a bit back on the way down, of course). I think that is damn good. No complaints here. All depends on how your drive.

I think that’s it. They regularly tell me they prefer 80 on the highway as their standard speed and as the Tesla gom doesn’t adjust down due to driving style, he and she don’t feel they can trust stated miles when charged.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I think that’s it. They regularly tell me they prefer 80 on the highway as their standard speed and as the Tesla gom doesn’t adjust down due to driving style, he and she don’t feel they can trust stated miles when charged.
The Tesla doesn't have a guess-o-meter (gom). The rated range is if you drive 65-70 MPH and don't hot rod around at slower speeds. The advantage of rated range is that it lets you know how/if the capacity of your battery pack is changing. It might be useful for some owners if Tesla also had a "My range" where you could put in your highway speed and get a more accurate estimate. How far off do the owners say the range is from the rated range when they drive 80 MPH? Air resistance would be about 30% more at 80 MPH.

DougWantsALeaf said:
What you, or your colleagues, are miscalling the "gom" is just a fuel gauge. If it is confusing to have a fuel gauge displaying "electric miles" they should just switch it to %SoC and leave it that way. Navigation, however, DOES adjust down — or up — for driving style (as well as weather and the like). That's what should be used if the range is limiting on a long trip. [As it happens, over the last 73,000 miles my actual miles have been substantially higher than the rated miles (meaning that I drive at better than the EPA rated efficiency for my car); this is quite common in the Tesla community but it does depend on driving style and where one lives.]

The thing is, with large battery cars — such as any Tesla, the Bolt and recent model LEAFs — range simply doesn't matter for most local driving. One plugs the car in overnight and leaves home each day with a "full tank." As long as the range is much more than typical daily driving, it doesn't matter and kvetching about how the fuel gauge display works makes no sense. It is only on long trips that range matters and with Tesla navigation that information is displayed in an easy-to-use and accurate form.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I think that’s it. They regularly tell me they prefer 80 on the highway as their standard speed and as the Tesla gom doesn’t adjust down due to driving style.
Tell them to use the estimated destination SoC. It adjusts for driving speed and road/weather conditions.

I use percent on my Tesla, it has been incredibly accurate and more accurate than any gauge on any gas or EV vehicle I have even owned. It is amazing how well it works. Anyone that complains about it needs to show any system that even comes close.

DougWantsALeaf said:
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiELongg4Bw9jIA6pQ-ie5orUqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowqoP5CjDpz-ACMJ_YtAU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Pretty dramatic Tesla explosion

Almost certainly cells cooking off. Judging by the account, this was another case of Autopilot/AEB not being able to recognize a stopped vehicle in its lane, presumably after the vehicle the Tesla was pacing using ACC changed lanes.

Its also interesting that they suggested charging back to 90% every day, even if not really used.

I always thought charging cycles were best if less in general, over a period of years.

Also interesting that they suggested limiting super charging cycles. With the new charging speeds, guessing the cooling cant keep up with the heat.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Interesting video
Anything in particular ?
Perhaps you can summarize in a sentence or two, or point to a time index of the video. I watched for a minute and gave up.

Anyway, as I and others have pointed out multiple times, Tesla displays a SoC meter (sometimes translated into miles) all the time; and it ALSO has a destination graph that is a VERY smart GOM. People routinely call the SoC meter a GOM. It is not.

Kapisch !!??

DougWantsALeaf said:
Its also interesting that they suggested charging back to 90% every day, even if not really used.

I always thought charging cycles were best if less in general, over a period of years.

Also interesting that they suggested limiting super charging cycles. With the new charging speeds, guessing the cooling cant keep up with the heat.

That kid can barely form sentences let alone relay information. It’s a nonsense video that is painful to watch and full of inaccuracies. Just like the majority of news items about Tesla accidents. The cooling on the 3 is exceptional to the point my pack just can’t get warm fast enough at times. All nonsense.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Interesting video suggesting that the Tesla gom does change based on drivers efficiency and temperature.
It's actually quite full of inaccurate information. As one commented notes, what he says at 2:50-3:10 is *wrong*.
2:50, 100% false, it is not based on your driving habits, it is based on a fixed efficiency of 242 wh/mi and battery size for the long range model.
Go here if you really want to know how to protect your battery. The 90% note is strictly to keep the BMS calibrated, it DOES wear the battery more doing this.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/battery-degradation-scientifically-explained.153074/

But, you can believe the video since (1) he backs up what you want to believe, (2) he says he got this all from an unnamed Tesla employee and (3) he makes videos on the Internet.

The video is complete nonsense. I remember Jack Ricard saying regen was not a benefit at one time. If you watch CNBC you can watch completely fabricated lies they construct about Tesla every month. Expect some twisted BS today. People should be concerned about the insane propaganda out there. This video is just a kids excited game of "Telephone".

Back