Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car’s estimate of remaining miles is not used by LeafSpy. The car’s estimate is based on the average miles per kWh you have been getting in the recent past. It also doesn't include about 1.5kWh of charge below the VLB warning.

LeafSpy uses the number of kWhs to determine the mileage remaining. The user sets the average miles per kWh that they expect to get and how close to turtle they are willing to go.

The user can also adjust the Gids. A Gid is a number reported by the car which seems to correlate to how much charge the battery holds. There are differences of opinion as to whether a Gid should be 75 or 80Whs.

RustyShackleford said:
Curious about the "miles remaining" number. It seems to be based on a user-entered value for watt-hours per mile. Are we supposed to just estimate that based on looking at the efficiency graphs ? I thought the car's built-in meter actually tweaked the mails-remaining display based on observed driving behavior, which actually seems more accurate. I must be missing something.

91040 said:
The car’s estimate of remaining miles is not used by LeafSpy. The car’s estimate is based on the average miles per kWh you have been getting in the recent past. ... LeafSpy uses the number of kWhs to determine the mileage remaining. The user sets the average miles per kWh that they expect to get and how close to turtle they are willing to go.
I'm confused then, because it seems to me that the car's estimate is more trustworthy.

I understand that LeafSpy gives a more accurate indication of how much electrical energy is stored in the battery, but why on earth can't it do what the car does and compute a miles-per-kwh instead of relying on an estimate the user enters ?

RustyShackleford said:
I understand that LeafSpy gives a more accurate indication of how much electrical energy is stored in the battery, but why on earth can't it do what the car does and compute a miles-per-kwh instead of relying on an estimate the user enters ?

Because the experienced user can estimate better that an average of past driving.

Consider driving over a mountian pass. Miles per kWh will be low, perhaps very low. The GOM will be reading a very low distance... But I know that I could coast most of the way to my destination, and may even regenerate more energy that I use.

RustyShackleford said:
91040 said:
The car’s estimate of remaining miles is not used by LeafSpy. The car’s estimate is based on the average miles per kWh you have been getting in the recent past. ... LeafSpy uses the number of kWhs to determine the mileage remaining. The user sets the average miles per kWh that they expect to get and how close to turtle they are willing to go.
I'm confused then, because it seems to me that the car's estimate is more trustworthy.

Because your estimate is based on previous experience and the knowledge of the route, driving conditions, and driving style. IOW; LEAF Spy cannot tell if its raining. (water on the road is the #1 source of reduced range)

Besides how can you think the car is better when it simply stops giving you an estimate with more than 10% of the capacity remaining?

I would just like a kWh remaining. I bet Nissan could even do it with a software update and put it on the monitor.

If they still insist on hiding range, they can keep 1kW hidden, but not 4 or 5 like it does on the Plus.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I would just like a kWh remaining. I bet Nissan could even do it with a software update and put it on the monitor.

If they still insist on hiding range, they can keep 1kW hidden, but not 4 or 5 like it does on the Plus.

LOL! You got what you got. Its not a Tesla with continuous rolling updates. Get LEAF Spy. Its a tool and like any tool, it doesn't work if you don't know how to work it.

Its like having a woodshop filled with $100,000 worth of equipment. That is no guarantee you can make furniture with it.

I have Leafspy. I only use it for long trips. For daily use, no reason to use it any more with the Plus. Even if I need to make an unplanned run to Milwaukee and back (from Chicagoland) it’s really not anything close to testing the range of the car.

In my 2013 I only did the trip once in the first year I had the car (for extra challenge it was 0 out) and obviously had to charge during the trip.

Turbo3 said:
At last a new updated version of LeafSpy Pro is ready for testing. If you have LeafSpy Pro you can use this link to try it out and give me feedback. There is also an updated PDF of the built-in help.

Any status on the release of the update? Android version on play store still reflecting 0.45.119, dated May 31, 2018

goldbrick said:
There is also a 'software update' that applies to the 30 kWh batteries, which I think the 2016 SL used. If that hasn't been done the SOH is less reliable that if it has. At least on my 2017 S (with a 30 kWh battery) the software update increased my indicated SOH by about 5%, which seems to agree better with the range I get from the car.

Is there a way to check if the update was applied or not?

TURBO,

Any way we could have Leafspy activate the battery heater. Usually it only runs when it is super cold out, but was thinking if we could activate it when the battery is only moderately cold (say 0 C), you could in theory when plugged in, heat things up a bit, and get a little better efficiency.

Wondered if that was exposed via OBDII.

HKSP1413 said:
goldbrick said:
There is also a 'software update' that applies to the 30 kWh batteries, which I think the 2016 SL used. If that hasn't been done the SOH is less reliable that if it has. At least on my 2017 S (with a 30 kWh battery) the software update increased my indicated SOH by about 5%, which seems to agree better with the range I get from the car.

Is there a way to check if the update was applied or not?

ummm, pretty sure post update Battery code ends in "C"

There is also a 'software update' that applies to the 30 kWh batteries, which I think the 2016 SL used. If that hasn't been done the SOH is less reliable that if it has.

I disagree. If the specific BMS to which the update is applied was incorrectly reporting the SOH, then this is true. If, however, there was no problem with the pack's BMS, the "update" seems to do nothing more than make the BMS over-report the capacity for a few months.

I was having trouble with my last ODBII scanner, so I bought this one:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am using it with an Android Galaxy J7 Sky Pro with Android 6.0.1 and LeafSpy Pro V 0.45.119.

LeafSpy simply doesn't see it. Screen looks like this:

v6Y904E.png

Could it be that there's something wrong with the port?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Al

Is there an equation that would get me the kWh used from LeafSpy Pro's Trip log? For example,

Date Time odo mi Duration dist mi elv ft Energy Gids SGids EGids AHr SOH Hx SHVolt EHVolt Drive Regen Charge L1/L2 QC

08/28/2019 15:08:31 4101 0:19:23 9.9 -171 1643 20 566 546 171.161 97.03% 112.48 375.42 372.28 1643 -753 -54953 48 38

Anyone know of any YouTube videos or instructions for putting this in a ‘19 leaf? I found a video for ‘18 leafs, but I don’t see the compartment that held the obd2 port on my car....

Nevermind, I found it... there is no cover to remove on the 2019 nissan leaf. The obd2 port is exposed and accessible below the steering column... no need to remove any cover.

Can anyone tell me why the odometer reading on leaf spy pro is lower than the odometer in my vehicle (~100 miles lower than actual reading in car)? Is that normal?

Back